UA Flight Diverts to Cuba

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by rwoman, Aug 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    sobore, NYBanker and Flyer1976 like this.
  2. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    The article says UA was seeking to re-accommodate pax.

I hope they were able to get everyone out same day. While a relatively friendly place (a conclusion I reach based on several friends' first-hand reports), due to the embargo, US credit cards don't work there - and arriving unprepared would make for a difficult even single night stay.

3. joesmoe
    Original Member

joesmoe Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is very difficult to get funds in cuba. I'd hate to be stuck there without any money, not a great country to be poor in :p

4. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ok someone explain this to me, because I've been trying to wrap my head around it... how does a flight from Dulles heading to Cancun end up with Havana being the "nearest available airport" ?

I guess it was already in the gulf? Doesn't seem to make a lot of sense though, since once you get to that point it's almost certainly closer to head for Mexico or turn back.

5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://flightaware.com/live/flight/UAL831/history/20110731/1300Z/KIAD/MUHA

I'd have loved to have been stuck in Havana overnight, especially if UA pays for the hotel room. I tend to carry a few hundred dollars in cash when I leave the country, so my "survival" would have been ensured.

viguera likes this.
  6. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is there a good country to be poor in?:)

Mike1625, jmrich1432 and viguera like this.
  7. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed... domestic flights I usually carry some cash for incidentals, just in case I need to get something before I hit an ATM. But for international flights I always carry significant cash on me, just in case "something bad" happens and I need to buy my way out of a jam.

You never know... having access to money nowadays is one of those things that people take for granted. Better have it and not need it -- doesn't cost you anything to re-deposit it -- than need it and not having it.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  8. Mike1625
    Original Member

Mike1625 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I imagine they never went through customs, if they did, did their passports get stamped. (for my own geeky reasons, I would have wanted the stamp)

Also, technically, buying a soda out of a vending machine is breaking US law for a US citizen in Cuba. Not that the state department is going to drop the hammer, but it could be an interesting situation if someone wanted to make an issue out of it.

9. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good advice...but I find it difficult to carry too many golden dollars with me. ;)

10. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Begs the question how UA could pay for hotel rooms if in fact they needed to house pax overnight.

One of my neighbors is part Cuban and gets some sort of pre clearance to go every few years. He finally finessed a way to get a European credit card just so he could more easily get about down there.