UA Electronic travel certificate (ETC)

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Thomask, Apr 17, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:
    Recently I was issue a ETC valid towards the purchase of one e-ticket on UA up to 200$. The cert. is valid for one year. If I use that, will I still receive 100% PQM?

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    PQMs are based on fare class. But it should only be valid on UA metal and all UA-operated flights booked via united.com earn at least 100% so you should be fine.

You note that it is only valid for one ticket. Are you sure? If it is a coupon with a 1016 number to start it is different from the ETCs which have a code and PIN for redemption. The 1016 vouchers are single use while the ETCs have residual value if you buy a ticket for less than the dollar amount of the ETC.

Also, tickets purchased with ETCs will earn full PQDs as they are a form of payment while the 1016 vouchers will not as they reduce the base fare.

3. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is nice to know because I too have one of each, the ETC and the 1016 voucher, and was not sure about how to figure them in my PQD estimation...

4. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The 1016 ones don't earn any PQDs however you can request Customer Relations to change the 1016 voucher into an ETC.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
    Blue Skye and TAHKUCT like this.
  5. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting suggestion, but why would they change considering the implications with respect to PQD earnings?

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You mean PQDs, right??

No guarantees on that, though.

7. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Whoops... You're right I meant PQDs.

As for the request per TOBB a lot of customers have had success in getting them changed but you're right it's not an official policy or anything.

Blue Skye likes this.
  8. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Because United is steadily transitioning away from the old 016 certs and towards ETCs as its preferred"certificate". United has been willing to do this for customers ever since 3/3.

Blue Skye and TAHKUCT like this.
  9. Blue Skye
    Original Member

Blue Skye Silver Member

Status Points:
    glad you asked this question, i had been wondering the same thing.
    thanks for all info on this. i've been hesitant to use my $350 E-cert, but this has cleared that up.

TAHKUCT likes this.
  10. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hmm. Nothing mentioned with 1016. There is a promotion code, pin code, issue and expiration date and original ticket number which starts with 0057. There is also a reference for this item. re. valid for one ticket... It says: "An ETC has been issued to .. (name), UA MP #, valid towards the purchase of one E-ticket where eligible on UA valid up to $200".

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  11. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    OK...that's a typical ETC. There actually can be residual value on it. And it is a form of payment (you use it on the final page of the booking process) so you get full PQMs and PQDs on it. And, if by some bit of magic, you find a fare which is less than $200, the balance will remain for future use.

I believe the "one e-ticket" reference means you cannot use it for a multi-party PNR.

Garp74 likes this.
  12. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    The rule on the reusability of unspent ETC amount is clearly provided in the email that came with my ETC:
    • If the face amount of this certificate exceeds the cost of the ticket for which it is surrendered, any residual amount will be applied to the same PIN for use toward another ticket until either the original issued amount is depleted or the expiration date has been reached. This certificate cannot be combined with other travel certificates with promotion code TCVA or other travel certificates that represent a form of payment.
    :confused:If this were true, then UA should have been issuing/awarding ETCs since 3/3 rather than to keep issuing 1016 E-certs. I got my E-cert just 3 months ago...

Anyway, I just called 1K desk and the agent did not know what I was talking about when I asked her about converting my E-cert voucher to an ETC. However, she did indicate that even if what I was requesting were doable, it was a weekend and I had reached the 'reservation desk', which does not deal with such things. I would have to call customer support [as opposed to reservation or mileageplus support] on a weekday to see if the conversion can be done. I will give it a shot but this seems to me like "urban legend" started and perpetuated by a few people who got lucky because makes little sense for UA to allow or provide this largesse. An ETC is real money whereas an E-cert is a promissory note. There is no business advantage to converting the latter into the former...

13. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    There are benefits to the 1016 vouchers, too. They reduce the base fare which means the taxes decrease, too. You might not earn PQDs and you have to pay any remaining taxes out of pocket, but paying less total overall doesn't suck.

As for the urban legend potential, the agent you spoke with is correct that it is a customer service function, not a reservations one. I wouldn't write it off just because the agent today was correct in the info shared about their ability to do what you requested.

HeathrowGuy likes this.
  14. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh, definitely, 1016 vouchers do have an advantage for the consumer, especially if one has already met the PQD requirement. I just do not see what UA gains by allowing the conversion of 1016 E-certs to ETCs.
    Stay tuned but I am not very hopeful. In fact, I was not even sure what to say when I asked if this was doable...In my head it was like, "Hey, you wouldn't want to trade me an ETC for an E-cert so that I can decrease my out-of-pocket expense on my ticket at UA's detriment, while at the same time earning PQDs?"

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  15. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    And for those of us who live outside the USA, not earning PQDs doesn't suck, either. Personally, I'm happy with anything that gets me PQM earning flights with less money out of pocket.