UA Discontinues STR Effective 9/20

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by webdes03, Jul 3, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just saw on another board, "Citing underperforming profits UA will discontinue EWR-STR effective September 20th."

Made my heart skip a beat, we're returning booked on VIE-STR-EWR-RDU on 9/4... so at least we'll get back before a 9th change to our itinerary.

KenInEscazu likes this.
  2. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    Stinks but understandable if it's not making money. I wonder if EWR-CGN could be brought back, that would be awesome.

3. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I didn't think CGN did very well either when they tried that, did it? Though that was before the days of so many TATL 757's I think; maybe the lower capacity makes it viable now. Didn't they try DUS back in the day too?

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    CGN was very much in the heart of the TATL 757 boom. Still never had sufficient yields to stick around. I am 99% certain that CO never had DUS; less sure about UA. And there is also LH service to NYC from DUS which is covered by the JV.

STR was rumored to be operated based on significant corporate demand. If that waned then it makes sense the route would drop.

I'm glad I got the line when I did, though it was not because that was the most convenient route for me.

It is generally considered bad form to cite a source but not provide credit back to that original information. There was discussion on FT and a.net of this topic well before it showed up here.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
    Hartmann likes this.
  5. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps, they will reposition that plane for EWR-CLT, and I'll start flying UA again.*

* It is a joke folks. Just a little pre US Independence Day levity. ;)

6. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    CO did fly to DUS with DC-10s circa 1999-2000.

rggale, Flyer1976, webdes03 and 2 others like this.
  7. colpuck
    Original Member

colpuck Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to the Internet ;)

Sent from a reasonably priced car.

8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
  9. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
  10. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:
  11. colpuck
    Original Member

colpuck Gold Member

Status Points:
    MP isn't a news service, saying hey "I heard xyz" is as acceptable here as it is around the water cooler at work.

There is a difference between "hey where did you read that", and "there is no citation to that."

Sent from a reasonably priced car.

ella, Brit and webdes03 like this.
  12. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    When the post starts with, "Just saw on another board" it seems reasonable to share where that was, both so that others can review the primary source if they want and also to give due credit to that source. When you know that the initial response is likely to be, "Where did that come from?" why not include it from the get-go?

It is not difficult and it is to the benefit of everyone that the links be shared. If nothing else, saving others from all the other posts of, "where did you see that?" seems like a useful and reasonable social etiquette.

13. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    I knew it was a matter of time. UA can't compete with its JUNK POS product and unreliable service.

We should take a roll call of the next destination to drop.

I wonder what will happened to the plane? Probably excellerated 752 retirements?

14. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm thinking they will drop BHX or reduce EDI to 1x next.

15. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    The 752 Intl fleet won't be retired anytime soon. If their TATL flying is pulled down further, they will almost certainly be used within the Americas.

16. Steve GadFly
    Original Member

Steve GadFly Gold Member

Status Points:
    They could have increased frequency to 3X & you still would have found something hyperbolic & negative to say. Since you've been so vocal about how you're not flying UA anymore, maybe you shouldn't spend so much time in the UA forum. Posts like that are right at home on TOBB...let's keep MP as a refuge from that.

17. colpuck
    Original Member

colpuck Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, I understand that. I just found the impact of your words a little harsh. I was pointing out that there is potentially a better way to express your point. Sent from a reasonably priced car.

webdes03 likes this.
  18. Brit
    Original Member

Brit Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hope they don't drop BHX. I was sad when they dropped the direct flight to Bristol (don't know the airport code!)

19. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    As I said I still have to fly UA because sadly Singapore, Lufthansa, Turkish etc, can't fly between JFK-LAX, or within the domestic US. Imagine if they could? We would have more options :p

Some of the other domestic carriers don't offer good departure times, so I am stuck with UA. Also all the foreign carrier star alliance flights get credited to UA, so MP (if you can still call it "mileage" plus) is my program of choice, being the only US based star alliance program. Sadly.

In the mean time, the truth hurts. Its time to face reality and deal with it. If UA had the customers willing to fly UA ex STR and to STR, the route would not be cut. Personally I would fly LH metal, and train to STR.

BHX : Birmingham has a following with NJ corporations that do business there, so I don't see that happening, unless competition crept up to steal this traffic.

I am thinking ZRH will get down gauged. LX flies to EWR now, having gotten the idea that EWR-ZRH is a valuable route due to corp traffic. DL got in the game and turned their flights to daily, even in the winter. I think this will be the next playbook is Jeff Smisek's game, will be shift the actual flying to rev share partners, to routes where UA has too much competition and can't compete.

UA does well in places where it doesn't really have to compete.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2014
  20. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wish I got the BRS line when CO flew that route. :(

21. Steve GadFly
    Original Member

Steve GadFly Gold Member

Status Points:
    In my post, I didn't say anything positive or negative about UA. I do fly them domestically every week and have very few problems considering the sheer amount of segments I do. All I was talking about was the hyperbolic nature of your post. I'd like to think a lack of those kinds of posts is what separates this site from TOBB and is the reason many of us don't participate over there anymore.

22. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just being neutral on UA gets you slammed over in FT. Being positive, well, that is just not pretty. ;)

Sent using a small piece of fruit.

23. Steve GadFly
    Original Member

Steve GadFly Gold Member

Status Points:
    My point exactly. MP is better than that.

Flyer1976 likes this.