UA CPUs with more than 2 people and SDC - this is easy right? :P

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by ericb, May 29, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. ericb

ericb Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm heading SF- San Diego this weekend on two one-ways. The catch is that there's three of us (I'm a 1K, one friend is Silver) and we'd all like to sit in front. My strategy is to split the PNR so the friend with silver status is on his own and my other friend goes with me. Any inkling on whether to do this now (currently within the 1K upgrade window) or wait til T-24 to maximize Same Day confirm change possibilities (apparently these apply to everyone on your PNR). Currently the cabin has 18/24 booked on the flight we're currently scheduled on, but I can't check R availability til I get expertflyer back up and runnning.

Scott wrote a pretty good article about complimentary upgrades here btw, but it seems like United systems are so borked that I still can't tell what will happen if I split the PNR before or after T-24. Anyone done this before?

Eric

2. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Everyone should be on their own record; having a non elite on your record will prevent you from getting upgraded. Then add the non elite to the upgrade lit at the airport and hope the silver clears.

3. FortFun
    Original Member

FortFun Gold Member

Status Points:
    As mentioned, easy to check R space on united.com. Remember though that R>0 does not mean available CPU>0 (that's true only for instrument supported upgrades). CPU bucket is an unpublished subset of R (FTR, the conspiracy theorists challenge this).

In case it's one of these: UA378 on Fri is R6, UA447 on Sun is R9 (the only 757s I saw).

Main argument in favor of splitting is that you don't need two seats at once. Suppose possible need for SDC fee payment is the flip side.

4. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:

5. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was once flying SJO-IAH-DFW with my daughter. I'm 1K/She's GM. The tickets were purchased separately, so we were on separate PNR's. They were both purchased through my login, and I combined them online.

While boarding the CRJ700 UAX flight to Dallas, her BP beeped when scanned, and she was CPU'd. I still find it hard to believe, but it happened. This is definitely a YMMV experience, but it can work.

6. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is no way to combine two PNRs. Both can be notated that people are traveling together or whatever, but they aren't actually joined for the purposes of CPU (or anything else, really). More likely what happened was that the GA saw that she was traveling with you and processed her CPU as your companion upgrade.

But in the end, everyone sat in F so, to quote Martin Lawrence, "Ride that motherf#cker 'till the wheels fall off." ;)

7. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    100% correct. I wasn't completely clear in the way I phrased it. I checked the click boxes on each reservation under "Manage Reservations" and then went to the bottom of the page and clicked on "Combine Selected." The PNRs remained separate.

There are new people coming here every day, and I sometimes fail to consider that when I am posting. I know you aren't new, but for those who are, I will try to be more careful in the future in order to avoid confusing those who are less familiar with how things work.

snod08 likes this.