UA/CO upgrade possibilities and codeshare issues

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by benchik, Feb 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. benchik
    Original Member

benchik Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm flying TLV-EWR RT in early March and as a learning opportunity wanted to know your opinions on a few things.

Here goes: Lets say I want to upgrade to BusinessFirst, my options would be the following.

1. Buy the upgrade with miles & $.
    2. Use an upgrade cert.
    3. Get bumped.
    4. Status match to Elite.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that option 4 is not probable since this is an international flight.

Also, I booed this on UAs website but its on CO metal. What are the ramifications of this?

And one more question. What is the perceived value of a 10% CO discount coupon. I have two of those and would trade them for upgrade certs. Whishful thinking, no?

Thanks,
    Benchik

2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd say 3 and 4 are pretty unlikely. If coach is overbooked, they might op-up elites, but it's not something I'd count on or even hope for. As for status match, I think CO now requires a challenge, i.e., no straight match.

I don't know about CO SWUs, but I personally value my UA SWUS at around $300 a piece. That would mean your upgrade certs would have to be used on a $3k ticket to get equivalent value. I've never booked a ticket that pricey ;)

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree that numbers 3 & 4 are highly unlikely to happen.

I don't understand the $3000 valuation above for the ticket/SWU. "Old" CO SWUs can be used on any fare. That means even the cheapest EWR-TLV flight can be upgraded. Given the potential for a $500 co-pay on top of the miles required I'd say that the SWUs are worth more than $300 in those situations. I agree that I wouldn't trade a 10% coupon for a SWU but that doesn't mean no one will.

4. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I do not think a trade of a save 10 percent CO coupon for a CO SWU is a good trade, but YMMV with others thoughts.

5. benchik
    Original Member

benchik Silver Member

Status Points:
    IIRC, even with the challenge now required for a status match, you still get the full status during the challenge period.

My value question was on 2 of the CO coupons, btw.

6. tjtenor4
    Original Member

tjtenor4 Gold Member

Status Points:
    One 2010 (2/2012 expiration) CO SWU is worth approximately 2 UA SWUs due both to their rarity and ability to use on any fare. Their valuation in cash-value airline certificates is probably anywhere from $400 to $600 each.

You don't mention what your status is, nor on what carrier... could you inform us as to that?

7. benchik
    Original Member

benchik Silver Member

Status Points:
    Delta Silver medallion.

8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    But I was talking about UA SWUs. I don't spend a lot of time thinking about the value of SWUs since I don't buy/sell them. And $300 might be somewhat undervaluing them (I'd NOT sell them to you for $300).

piqaro likes this.