UA (CO) to launch Newark - Stuttgart 757-200 service, eff 6/9/11

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by EWR764, Mar 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    CO152 EWR-STR
    lv 1750 ar 0800+1

CO153 STR-EWR
    lv 0930 ar 1240

Daily in the summer, 5x weekly in the winter. Currently, the only service from the US to STR is DL's ATL-STR 763ER flight. This brings UA/CO to five destinations in Germany.

The release also notes that flat bed conversion of the 752 fleet will be completed by the end of May 2011.

Link here:
    http://ir.unitedcontinentalholdings.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=83680&p=irol-news&nyo=0

Billiken likes this.
  2. milepig
    Original Member

milepig Silver Member

Status Points:
    Interesting destination choice. I'd think that STR would mainly be a choice for people ending their journey there with FRA so close. Even if I were going to Stuttgart, as an ORD traveler I'd be much more likely to book on a big bird to FRA and then hop on the train which in an hour would take me into the center of Stuttgart, as would a flight beginning at IAD. How many EWR-STR pax are there - is there an industry connection - lots of biz pax??

3. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mercedes Benz USA is in Montvale, NJ with Daimler being HQed in Stuttgart.

4. milepig
    Original Member

milepig Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ah - there you go then. Thanks for the info.

5. rggale
    Original Member

rggale Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is great news. I will be adding this line very soon [​IMG]

Hope it lasts!

6. colpuck
    Original Member

colpuck Gold Member

Status Points:
    since when does CO have a spare 752?

7. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are usually a couple sitting in IAH overnight.

8. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    Porsche is also based in Stuttgart. As is Bosch. And IBM and HP have their European HQs there.

9. rggale
    Original Member

rggale Gold Member

Status Points:
    They could also be getting it from the domestic capacity reduction.

10. dwhotz
    Original Member

dwhotz Silver Member

Status Points:
    How conveient! I need to go there in the fall anyway. Thanks UA!

11. Exleftseat
    Original Member

Exleftseat Active Member

Status Points:
    I like the premise. I don't like the equipment for long haul. Also I doubt that with other choices available a lot of German management would take this torture bird, compared to what LH ( and SQ ) has to offer. From FRA Stuttgart is a stone throw. A while ago NW added a second pair of flights between DTW and FRA on a 757. The experiment failed miserably. The original A330 operated pair remained.

12. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    So what is torture about a fully flat seat and one of the better AVOD systems in the air versus the sloped seats of LH/SQ and the limited IFE of LH? Don't get me wrong - I have enjoyed my time upstairs on the SQ 744 - but the CO hard product beats both the LH and SQ hard product pretty badly IMO. And if they cut a decent deal with Benz for some seats up front then those customers are going to be in those seats.

mht_flyer likes this.
  13. Weissbier

Weissbier Silver Member

Status Points:
    I should have made it clear that I was talking Coach.

14. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I doubt too many of the "management" are doing it in whY. Even if they are, the CO experience is WAY better than the LH 744. Power & AVOD at every seat and more pitch than LH offers. Oh, and the LH 744 Y seat may be the one out there in the market that has less padding than the CO seat.

Never done SQ in the back but that flight leaves FRA very early in the morning westbound making it a bit less convenient for most folks and they are not part of the ATI++ so it seems unlikely that they'll participate in the marketing and pricing collusion.

15. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Easy, just make sure you get seat 7C :)

I just did DUB-EWR a few weeks back on the 752 and it was fine.

16. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    Really? CO has more pitch on their 752s in Y than LH has on their widebodies?

According to seatguru, the LH seats will at a minimum have the same seat pitch as the CO 752s (31") but their 343 and 333s have more (32").

And considering that LH also has AVOD and flies widebodies, I'm not sure if you can say that CO is WAY better than LH.

17. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    My experience on LH in Y on the 744 is that it has no IFE at all in Y, that the pitch is tighter, the seat in front of you reclines more (I had a great view of the scalp of the guy in front of me) and that the overall experience is quite a bit less pleasant than the CO 752. I haven't flown in Y on the 330s or 340s and specifically didn't mention those in my comments.

Being on a widebody doesn't change the experience for me. Being in a seat where I have more entertainment options, power and don't have someone else's head in my lap (unless I invite them there) is where I find comfort.

18. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    It is true that you didn't specifically mention the 333 or 343 in the comments that I quoted. But you did make a general blanket statement a few posts above that " CO hard product beats both the LH and SQ hard product pretty badly IMO".

And I was pointing out that the LH seats will at a minimum have the same pitch as the CO 752, and if you fly the 343 and 333s you'll have even more than CO. And LH has AVOD. And they fly widebodies versus the single aisles that CO flies for long hauls.

Selectively picking and choosing facts is not going to help you win an argument.

19. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    This was a reference to business class and I thought that was pretty obvious. If you'd like to dispute the quality of the new CO 752 seat versus the SQ or LH C products please feel free.

None of the LH 744s I've flown on have AVOD and my understanding is that not all of them do today. I'm willing to admit that's wrong if they've finished updating their fleet in the past 3 months but I do not think they have. My experience is that the pitch was tighter due to the points I noted. Even if it is the same 31" according to a tape measure it most certainly does not feel that way to me on the plane, especially when the seat in front is reclined so far. These observations are based on having made that trip a few times last year.

The presence of an additional aisle does not change the in-flight experience for me.

Neither does countering an argument I wasn't making nor selectively editing the quote to make it appear that I was talking about one thing when the context of the comment is rather clear.

20. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Time is money, and the 2 hours it takes to get from most of Stuttgart to FRA (or a short flight) makes a nonstop extremely attractive, regardless of equipment type.

21. rggale
    Original Member

rggale Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is notable that there is an error/possibly intentional feature of this new route...M and B-ups!!

Get 'em while you can!

22. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    STR has some good connections, but I'm not sure if they line up with the arrival with the new flight (and a lot are on regional aircraft):
    TXL
    FRA
    HAM
    PMI (seasonal)
    MXP
    BRU
    ATH
    BIO
    BHM
    BRE
    MAN
    DUS
    LHR

23. hausrath
    Original Member

hausrath Active Member

Status Points:
    What's the city pair, just EWR-STR? I'm not seeing anything there...

24. rggale
    Original Member

rggale Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, EWR-STR, if you book on B or M fares. I saw availability on the return of the first flight June 10th, and then saw some round trips in later in june and july.

25. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    M fares in the $1600ish r/t range for fall. :cool: