UA/CO SIN-HKG: Dumb Questions

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by miketown, Feb 13, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. miketown
    Original Member

miketown Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have an upcoming flight on UA116 from SIN to HKG (and then on to SFO). It has a United Flight# and says "Operated by United" but I have a Continental PNR.

Can anyone explain that? Will I be checking in w/ United in Singapore?

Like I said... dumb question. :confused:

2. Killt

Killt Active Member

Status Points:
    Yes. I took a similar flight and had both a Continental and United PNR.

3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    You check in with the carrier operating the flight. You should get the ticket number and also the UA PNR, ideally carrying printouts of this information. With the ticket number and the PNR, you should be able to do OLCI, but might need to answer security questions at the airport; you do for USA carriers flying to the USA, per TSA rules. My best guess is that the flight leaves from Terminal 3, but you should ask your hotel concierge or check this before going to the airport.

4. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    This used to be an exclusive UA flight, which I had taken a year ago, leaving SIN for HKG at 5:00 am. As recently as last month, UACO was still trying to get local authorization to operate in SIN as a single airline, which made it difficult to book flights outside of a specified time window. I tried to redeem an award ticket on this flight to do SIN-HKG on Jan 7, but because the status of local authorization was in limbo, the CSR could not book me on it, although she said she could see that there was award seat availability. She just was not allowed to book anything until a certain time. I just gave up and redeemed on SQ instead.

Because it is a UA operated flight, you need to check in with UA. I am sure that there is an associated UA PNR also...

5. miketown
    Original Member

miketown Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, you are 100% correct on that- sorry for neglecting.

Thanks for the replies.

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is actually a sCO-operated flight. For flights to HKG they have to label them all as "Operated by United" because of operating certificate issues, but the aircraft and crew will actually be sCO people.

I'm sure that there is just the one check-in location for the "United" flights and that's where you'll be checking in, but the plane and crew are from the CO side of the operation, despite that annotation on the reservation.

7. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    In that case the OP has just cause for concern if he is told that the flight is "operated by UA" but it is "manned" by CO, especially since they keep saying that they are still operating as separated airlines. CO never had much of a presence in SIN; it was all UA. So, you are right that there will be just one check in location and it will say "UA". In which case it won't matter because he will be taken care of regardless. It is this sort of mixed up that made them delay booking this flight even when it showed availability...

8. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Chexy... doing a MR with the family....???

9. miketown
    Original Member

miketown Silver Member

Status Points:
    The flight has been leaving SIN from T3 so I'm guessing it'll be the United counters.

Gaucho- negatory. Work, Work, Work.

10. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm guessing that CO used T1 when it was part of SkyTeam if CO had any SIN flights then; I don't recall noticing them at the airport. Hence, I think there is still a very slight chance that if will be T1. You should sort this out in advance. I would call both UA and CO before leaving the USA and then in Singapore, have the concierge call both airlines and the airport. It takes some time to get between terminals, especially with luggage, and you do not want to panic at check in time if you discover that you are in the wrong place.

11. miketown
    Original Member

miketown Silver Member

Status Points:
    Interesting, UA116 isn't showing up on United.com or Continental.com

12. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    For which date?

Doing a random booking for one-way SIN-HKG on April 25 on united.com shows:

5:15 AM SIN - 9:05 AM HKG
    Continental 116
    Operated by UNITED AIRLINES

for USD $1,515

13. miketown
    Original Member

miketown Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry; For Flight Status.

14. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Using the UA App for DROID I found:

I had wanted to redeem an award on 116 from SIN to HKG on Jan 7 to connect with UA896 at 11:00AM for ORD, but it seemed problematic, so I wound up redeeming on SQ to fly the day before to connect with UA896...

15. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    They didn't have flights to SIN then.

It is still CO98/99 for a few more weeks. They are shifting the flight numbers around quite a bit in advance of the PSS merge.

16. sonoma

sonoma Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yup check-in at T3 and your gate is A12. UA website does not show this SIN-HKG flight on their flight status page but you will find it on CO's. A little confusing on CO website is it lists check-in terminal as Main Terminal. I would check the flight information page on Changi Airport's site too.

17. miketown
    Original Member

miketown Silver Member

Status Points:
    In short, I didn't end up taking the flight. HKG-SFO had a 3+ hour delay so they rerouted me SIN-NRT-SEA.

With that said, I would expect that SIN-HKG checks-in in Aisle 9 (in T3) like UA882 SIN-NRT. Because my itin changed about 6 hours prior, I was not on the pre-screening list for #882 (but I was for UA116).

Thanks for everyone's help.

18. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are apparently issues with the pilot's union for CO about being able to sell CO-branded flights on UA -- or at least that was the explanation I was given on a similar "frankenflight" over on FT. If you search on my username there (deirdre) + frankenflight, you'll find it. (Mine happened to be a

19. CrazyMonkey
    Original Member

CrazyMonkey Silver Member

Status Points:
    Be glad they routed you through NRT of you are in C or higher.....I actually stop flying UA to SIN after they "enhanced" the route through HKG (which I always took) to a domestic a/c. cheers...

20. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The SIN flights aren't frankenflights in that same context.

For Hong Kong and Brazil (and Venezuela, I think) there were rules with the regulatory authorities in terms of how the flights are labeled in terms of operations. That's why they are classified that way.