UA/CO Fleet Mixing (757s on former UA widebody routes! Trans-Atlantic!)

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Sean, Feb 11, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Sean
    Original Member

Sean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Saw this in another forum....

eff 6/9 second IAD-CDG flight on CO B-757
    eff 6/10 EWR-ZRH from CO B-767-224 to UA B-767-322
    eff 9/1 IAD-AMS from UA B-777-222 to CO B-757-224
    eff 9/29 First IAD-CDG frm UA B-777-222 to CO B-757-222
    eff 9/29 EWR-BRU from CO B767-424 to UA B-777-222

Very disappointing...[​IMG]

link to the original airliners.net thread: http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/general_aviation/read.main/5063646/

2. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Interesting topic and thanks for posting, but actually already another thread started with this exact info: UA/CO Cross-Fleeting

Not sure on this new site how two threads are merged or who does it...

3. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was expecting drastic international capacity decreases at IAD, because of the proximity of ORD and now EWR...

4. Sean
    Original Member

Sean Gold Member

Status Points:

Wow, sorry, have to get used to a search feature that works, and search next time first!

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah...I can see how having flights on the aircraft that are fully converted to 100% lie-flat up front with power and AVOD throughout is disappointing. Oh, wait, no I cannot.

The 752s are fine for the TATL trips. I've done it several times now without problems.

6. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    And now there will be two flights a day, allowing people to choose what time works better for them. Heaven forbid.

7. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Better schedule balancing, and who knows what will happen with the schedule once BD gets added to the JV

cockpitvisit likes this.
  8. Sean
    Original Member

Sean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry I've been thinking of it from an Economy passenger point of view. I'd rather have E+ on a 777 or 767 than CO's less spacious Y offering.

Also I'd trade AVOD for looping video if it meant more leg room, but yes you're right it's not all bad.

Junca and why fly like this.
  9. Hannaman
    Original Member

Hannaman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Or from an upgrader's point of view. A 757 has a lot fewer seats than a 777.

It may be a non-issue if you're paying for C, but if you're in Y- compared to E+ before, this is definitely a hit.

AVOD and power is nice, but if you're in CO's bone-crushing E- and can't even open your laptop, what's the point of power?

Junca and Sean like this.
  10. Sean
    Original Member

Sean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you thinking of the return of the BD A330 to the US?

11. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    More likely UACO getting more slots into LHR

cockpitvisit likes this.
  12. Hannaman
    Original Member

Hannaman Silver Member

Status Points:
    How would that work?

13. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    BD just makes them assets as a part of the JV, and then the JV apportions them out to UACO (like maybe for a ATL-LHR, or TPA-LHR)

cockpitvisit likes this.
  14. Sean
    Original Member

Sean Gold Member

Status Points:
    IAD-AMS is the real loser here, it used to be the easiest SWU upgrade in the system. Also assuming these flights start before "customer day one" or the integration of the operating certificate I doubt we'd even be able to use a united SWU on the CO 757. Has anyone heard anything different?

15. zabes
    Original Member

zabes Active Member

Status Points:
    What I don't understand is, HOW THE F, we can use SWU's on LH, yet we can't use paper on CO, that's soooooooooo beyond messed up how this airline is!

Sean likes this.
  16. Xyzzy
    Original Member

Xyzzy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I concur. It's like a Frankenstein of different parts, some of which go together fine and some of which -- inexplicably -- do n;)t. They're doing all sorts of code shares, but UA certs can't be used if there's CO metal on a flight. They should have the same award inventory, and UA offers one way awards but when I want to use a one way award UA wants 25k miles for that segment -- if it shows any availability. CO is happy to sell me a round trip for 20k ... It goes on and on.

17. Hannaman
    Original Member

Hannaman Silver Member

Status Points:
    I disagree. It's a work in progress, and we're going to see a lot of these anomalies while they hash these things out.

The trick is learning the nuances of each and maximizing them while you can. Just wait -- if we can start transferring miles back and forth, it's going to be even more interesting. You'll see COers moving miles to UA for one-way awards, and UAers moving miles to CO for things like CM and VS awards.

18. Freddie Listo
    Original Member

Freddie Listo Gold Member

Status Points:

Let's hope not!

19. I think a lot of the delay is UA is getting ready to move to SHARES, and a lot of the MP stuff has to be ported from Apollo. I don't know how much the two systems can talk to each other, but I suspect it would be a ton of effort to sanely be able to move miles across in a real-time fashion, in addition to determining how you would credit things to each account; the accounting would be nightmarish.

I do hope we see the availability to merge OnePass and MP accounts before 2012 however.

20. Hannaman
    Original Member

Hannaman Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm sure we will see the ability to transfer miles sooner rather than later. DL did it, and it was hugely popular. Plus the "linkage" gives them certainty when combining the accounts, so it's a win for them.

As for Apollo vs. SHARES, I don't think the mileage info is stored in either. I think it's an ancillary system.

21. lv2trvl
    Original Member

lv2trvl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think you're right. For what it's worth, I did a search for IAD-AMS for October 11-19 on ual.com and restricting the search to SWU region2 upgrade eligible flights. It seems right now both the UA-777 and CO-757 flights are loaded into the system, the first one as UA946/UA947 and the second one as UA3854/UA3891 "operated by Continental" (the flight duration differs between both, the AMS arrival/departure times are the same, the IAD departure/arrival times differ by about 30 minutes). Only the UA946/UA947 pair is shown as 'upgrades may be available', but of course this pair likely will be pulled from the system soon.

22. tjtenor4
    Original Member

tjtenor4 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, the obvious question would be - if you were to book IAD-AMS on UA metal now, and use a SWU to get into NC space, then once the UA metal was pulled, would your upgrade to C stick when re-booked on the CO flight? My guess is "unfortunately not," but it would be an interesting experiment (and call to the 1K line, if one were to try to make it happen).

23. Sean
    Original Member

Sean Gold Member

Status Points:
    It would be a very interesting experiment, great idea! I'd be that UA would be more likely to route you in C on an IAD-FRA-AMS or IAD-LHR-AMS than they would be to give you a CO BF seat.

why fly likes this.
  24. its so complicated to get all the rules before you book! Its spoils all the fun :)

25. fozz
    Original Member

fozz Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would argue the contrary. CO has always been good about not taking confirmed upgrades away. When they switched IAH-LIM, my upgrade stayed intact.