UA/CO Baggage Fees - US Air Plat w/ no-status companion on different PNR

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by beofotch, Aug 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. beofotch
    Original Member

beofotch Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hello,

I am a US Air Platinum (*Gold) and will be traveling MSY - ANC on Continental. My friend will also be traveling with me, though he is on a different PNR. I know i'll be able to check 2 bags for free with my status. If we check in together, will he be able to also check 2 bags for free? Or do I need to somehow add him to my PNR?

Any insights would be appreciated.

Best regards,

Beofotch

2. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Almost positive he has to be on your PNR to share your status benefits...

DeltaExpert likes this.
  3. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have had mixed experience with separate PNRs. I can always call in and get my gf assigned the exit row or E+ if we're on different PNRs with United. The one time I tried to get her free bags on Continental, we had different final destinations, and they said no. (We were also at a semi-rural airport with a bored, unfriendly agent.) I would guess that as long as you are sharing the same itinerary, they will let you both take bags. But... it might be easier if you each just pack one, and then you can check them both under your name.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  4. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've never been able to get free checked luggage for anyone not on the same PNR. This includes family (eg, traveling with wife and daughter on award and me on revenue tickets). I wouldn't expect the agents to make an exception for you. Also, there is no way to combine PNRs, so you're out of luck there.

Remember, though, that the baggage allowance for *G on CO is 3 bags up to 70lbs. If you can consolidate all your stuff into 3 bags, you're good to go.

5. beofotch
    Original Member

beofotch Silver Member

Status Points:
    thank you for all the responses. My friend is active duty air force who will just be on vacation. Per the website he will get free checked bags regardless of whether he had CO status or not. So between us 6 bags which will be great as we will want to bring camping and fishing gear out there.

6. craz
    Original Member

craz Silver Member

Status Points:
    not sure about your 3 see here; from 7/27 Update
    Who is exempt from the baggage fees?

The following customers are exempt from certain checked baggage service fees:
    • OnePass Elite and United Elite members get their first and second checked-bag fees waived.
    • Continental Airlines Presidential PlusSM primary cardmembers get their first and second checked bags free. Other Continental Airlines Chase primary credit cardmembers get their first checked bag free. See continental.com/chasebag for details.
    • MileagePlus® Explorer primary credit cardmembers get their first checked bag fee. See united.com/chasebag for details.
    • Star Alliance Gold members get their first and second checked bag fees waived
    • Star Alliance Silver members get only their first checked bag fee waived
    • Any customer traveling on full fare Economy Class tickets get their first and second checked-bag fees waived
    • Active U.S. military personnel get their first, second and third checked-bag fees waived
    • U.S. military dependents traveling with U.S. military personnel on personal travel get up to 4 bags checked with bag fees waived
    • U.S. military dependents traveling on official business (with documentation) get their first, second and third up to 4 bags checked free

• what I dont get is why does the Dependent get 4 bags while the person in the Military gets 3, so if I read thsi correctly You get 2 and your friend gets 3

7. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Continental site to which I linked states the following:
    I'd go with what's on the official website.

8. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's really strange...did you just find that link yesterday from the CO.com website? Because your info is definitely the official website, but so is the info from Craz which has the 7/27/11 update, which seems to imply only 2 checked bags for *G. The page implying two checked bags only is the info I get when I navigated to the webpage this morning as well.

9. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Interesting. So the page I linked (http://www.continental.com/CMS/en-US/travel/Pages/BaggageChecked.aspx) implies that *G gets 3 bags up to 70lbs for free, while the other page (http://www.continental.com/CMS/en-US/travel/Pages/CheckedBaggage.aspx) suggests that *G only gets 2 bag fees waived. Note that the only difference in those URLs is that one ends "BaggageChecked.aspx" and the other ends "CheckedBaggage.aspx". For the record, the UA page (http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,52649,00.html) is consistent with the 3 bags/70lbs policy. Perhaps a call to CO customer service is in order.

10. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would call...because as you say, the current UA policy is 3 bags @70lbs.