UA Chase / Chip Cards

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by webdes03, Sep 16, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Question for teh board...

We just got back from Germany and Austria, and had a surprisingly large number of vendors say they didn't want to take our Chase UA credit cards because they lacked chip and pin. I've experienced this on and off in the UK over the years, but never to this extent (cautious UK vendors would usually take a magnetic strip albeit reluctantly); to the point where we ended up using a lot more cash than intended.

I sent Chase an email asking about availability of chip technology, and whether it was possible to have my UA card reissued with a chip; I'd happily pay to reissue the card if need be, I just want a single card that works everywhere I need it to. Plus, any reissue fee would likely be less than any ATM fees we spent or would spend in the future withdrawing cash for purchases that won't accept a card.

The generic reply back basically said that UA cards are not and will not be available with chip, and that if I need that I should apply for a Sapphire card. Firstly, I'm not sure if this was just a tactic to get me to apply for another Chase card. Secondly, it doesn't make sense to me that they'd have no plans to chip a card that by definition is a travel card and will be used internationally where chip technology is everywhere.

Fast forward to yesterday, when I bought BHTP for an upcoming trip, and Chase called to verify the charge. I mentioned to the fraud prevention agent my dilemma with no chip, and she informed me that ALL Chase cards will be issued with chip by the end of 2015.

So I'm getting two different answers from two different sources. I'm inclined to think that the woman in fraud prevention may be more visible to credit card technology and Chase's roadmap for implementing something like chips... at least more visible than the customer service agent that's just reading a matrix of cards with their features. That said, I thought I'd ask if anyone else had heard anything on this... I know there's folks here that are far more on top of the myriad of credit card announcements.

Thanks!

8MiHi and Newscience like this.
  2. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    From what I've read is that by sometime in 2015 US retail stores will need to be using the chip technology or else they will be libel for fraud (i.e. Target and Home Depot), so most large retailers are moving to accept chip technology by 2015. Therefore I'd also expect that the credit card issues have a similar deadline.

On a side note recently was in South Africa and they were required to manually enter random portions of the card number to confirm that they had the card in hand (and not some cloned card with a number encoded that didn't match the card). I thought that was a good simple security method and an surprised its the first time I saw it. (But then I use cash on most trips.)

Newscience and webdes03 like this.
  3. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can't remember where I was, but a couple stores around here have started asking for you to read the last 4 digits off the card to them for a similar confirmation.

Newscience likes this.
  4. Laptop Nomad

Laptop Nomad Silver Member

Status Points:
    When I was applying for the UA card I also asked if they had a chip in pin card. I was told if I want a chip card to apply for the BA card. which I thought was strange.

5. moongoddess

moongoddess Silver Member

Status Points:
    Most US chip cards wouldn't have helped in your situation, as they are Chip & Signature, not Chip & PIN. It's not enough for the card to just have a chip! And TRUE Chip & PIN cards are surprisingly hard to get here in the US, unfortunately.

Blue Skye and webdes03 like this.
  6. lapointdm

lapointdm Silver Member

Status Points:
    I believe Barclaycard Arrival Plus is chip and pin

7. sheikkila02

sheikkila02 Silver Member

Status Points:
    That is one of the very very few. It may sound ridiculous but I think I read the Sam's Club card was chip and pin.

webdes03 likes this.
  8. Laptop Nomad

Status Points:
    I found out my bank M&T bank all of their credit cards are chip and pin. There is no annual fee with the cards, and no foreign transaction fee. They have about 3 or 4 cards to choose from. I called to find out if they were chip &pin chip & signature the rep assured they were chip & pin and you chose the pin. YMMV.

iolaire likes this.
  9. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    I travel quite a bit myself, and was in Germany in June, July, and again in August. I tend to use my Chase UA MasterCard (not chipped) on my travels because there is no foreign currency conversion charge and no foreign transaction charge with that card.

I used that card with a number of vendors, including Deutsche Bahn and the Munich transportation entity (MVV) as well as commercial outlets, and the card was accepted in all cases, without any question.

I'm sort of surprised at OP's report, but it may be that they ran into trouble in some out-of-the-way places, or that something has changed since I was there, but so far my experiences have been different.

10. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:
    We travel frequently also, and I've had the same experience in the UK. Major places (department stores, trains, etc.) had no issues whatsoever. Restaurants on the other hand... roughly half of the restaurants we went to picked up our card, then either said "do you have cash?" or "we don't take cards"... even places with Visa/Mastercard logos in the windows. Some of them were very reluctant to take them. We tend to not eat at chains or big commercial places, we more look for residential areas and smaller more cultural experiences for food, but it wasn't like we were in tiny towns in the country... smaller restaurants yes, but they were still in the center of Munich, Innsbruck, etc.

11. traveldoc726

traveldoc726 Active Member

Status Points:
    I just upgraded to the United Chase Club card from the Explorer card and was told it will have a chip.

12. Laptop Nomad

Status Points:
    Will this be a chip and pin or chip and signature?

13. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:
    To my knowledge, ALL Chase cards will be reissued as Chip and Signature by the end of 2015. I believe all Chase cards will be specifically signature based not pin based... I could be wrong though.

14. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    My chase is chip and signature. For some reason, the US seems to prefer signature over PIN.

15. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have found at least in Europe, the sign in the window only means they accept the Euro standard "chipped" cards.

16. Laptop Nomad

Status Points:
    Well I called about the MP card from United when will they send the new chip cards. Rep stated that late 2015 and the would be chip and signature. No plans for a chip and pin. :( card.

17. Laptop Nomad

Status Points:
    Well there is a thread in the United forums on Flyer Talk that UA cards are have chip & signature cards now if you request it. I called last week and they said no for my upcoming trip to Jordan. One of the post mentioned a 7-10 day delivery time. Same account number and same code. YMMV.

18. Laptop Nomad

Status Points:
    Just called and they are sending my chip & signature card in 7-10 days. They did say it was a limited release. So it looks like first come first serve.