UA Changing IAH-DFW/DAL Equipment

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by KenInEscazu, Oct 12, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    In checking my reservations this morning, I found that my January 20th flight from IAH-DFW had been changed from a CRJ-700 to an ERJ145. Since this is the last leg on a long, international trip, and I had successfully UGed with miles, I looked for options. All flights before 4:58 PM to both DFW and DAL are ERJ145s.

I looked around for other days to move up or back my date of travel, but every day I checked was the same. I checked December 19th, and there was one CRJ200, but nothing with an F cabin until after 5:00 PM. Nov. 18th has a couple of E170s in the afternoon, but no mainline at all.

It looks like UA is further reducing their already poor options between Houston and Dallas on this very heavily traveled route. It makes connecting in or originating from IAH very unappealing. By comparison, AA has many flights throughout the day IAH-DFW, all mainline.

As a very frequent traveler through IAH to DFW/DAL, this is a major downgrade in service. It means that most of my trips to/from Dallas will usually end and start with the worst of the RJs. How could their analysis of this route be so vastly different from the competition? It's sure not enhancing the value of being a loyal MileagePlus flyer.

2. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just got hit with a schedule and aircraft type change :
    Had EWR-IAH on a flat-bed 757.....got changed to a pmUA 757:eek:
    :rolleyes:
    Had booked 2 tickets on that flight for my family as well (on different dates) ...theirs got changed to a 737.
    They also lost "F cabin" from SAT-IAH....although that flight is usually very short.
    Anywho,....such is life.

"IAH to anywhere" is quickly becoming the RJ capital for UA.
    Soon we will be hopping across the pacific on an RJ..all the way to HKG
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

guberif and bmg42000 like this.
  3. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just come to the dAArkside

viguera and Mapsmith like this.
  4. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been there and still have the scars to prove it. While I hate to publicly admit it, the RJfest between IAH and DFW/DAL is probably not going to be enough to run me off. I have too many other uniquely UA benefits from being 1K and living in "Copa and Avianca Country." Not to mention the Chase Business United Club Card that not only gives me UC membership, but also a virtually infinite number of functional award miles.

All that said, I do have my limits. UA needs to step it up a notch and get those E175s flying ASAP. They need to accept that Premiers are not very happy (was that nice enough?) with any aircraft whose name starts with a "C." Retire them a.s.a.p. The E145s need to fly to rural locations that couldn't have service otherwise. If they keep forcing me onto planes I hate more and more often, I will reach my limit.

meFIRST likes this.
  5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, the 737 is the RJ of Asia, right?? ;)

6. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    Having flown AA in coach numerous times DFW-IAH, it's a pretty short flight.

However if I was an EXP with UDU's and AA cut out F, I'd be annoyed.

As Spirit was recently flying DFW-IAH with some dirt cheap base fares [but of course loaded with fees], maybe the timing coincides with Spirit cutting the route?

KenInEscazu likes this.
  7. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is indeed a short flight, but now it not only involves changing terminals and going into one of IAH's nightmare B wings or to their outdoor-loading new B departure gates. Then gate checking something. Then climbing the stairs into a tube that requires me to walk with by head bent down and carry my rolling laptop case, as the aisles on an E145 are too narrow.

Not to mention that I used 25,000 miles to upgrade myself all the way to DFW, not part of the way. Am I going to remove my upgrade for this? Of course not. Am I "annoyed?" Most certainly. My initial reaction was more shock. They've had lousy F availability between the two cities for a long time, but to remove it completely during the day is very insensitive to those of us connecting for the last leg of a very long day. Or in my case, a very long night and morning.

Giving it further thought, I'm hoping that these are temporary placeholders until they can rearrange their schedules to return something better to the schedule. It is still 90 days away. I'm not going to accept the change for at least another 30 days. Maybe more.

snod08 likes this.
  8. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    So true!!

9. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    But Houston's new and improved term B is supposed to be so great. ;). At least that is what the billboards around town have lead us to believe. I get to visit the term B dungeon next week for a trip to CLT :(

10. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Me too. At least there's Whataburger now.

BuckleandBoots likes this.
  11. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have one by my house....I'm waiting for an in-n-out burger. :)

Sent using a small piece of fruit.

12. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Got one of those under construction just down the road. I'm sure it's going to make local traffic fun for a while.

On topic, it's all about market data. I doubt there's a ton of paid F or upgrade traffic out of DFW/DAL so it doesn't make much sense to put those cabins on the route.

13. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Contrary to the myth of "COdbaUA," it's actually a rational change to move a lot of DFW/DAL/AUS/SAT flying ex-IAH to RJs. Those are really short flights and, unless loads on a specific timing justify it, moving to and RJ is probably a minimal impact on pax while freeing a mainline plane up to fly a higher value route.

While I've always enjoyed a 73x flight to AUS or SAT to see family or friends, I'd far prefer those airframes be freed to fly two our three hour stages and will endure a half hour flight on an RJ (or, better yet, a Q400 which is much more comfortable inside and doesn't add anything noticeable to the flight time).

14. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    The main reason this has changed is that UA today spreads connecting traffic out of those cities over multiple hubs, while CO sent nearly all of it via IAH. That's also the reason for a large part of the downsizing at IAH that happened. Add in the virtual monopoly WN has on intra-Texas local traffic and there's no longer a reason to have mailine service on many of those flights. It does suck, though, and it may be pushing away some customers who have expectations set by years of mostly mainline CO service in those routes, especially since DL and AA tend to be adding domestic mainline service, not reducing it.

15. Black Cloud
    Original Member

Black Cloud Gold Member

Status Points:
    The amount of logic presented in the last two posts of this thread has NO place in an IBB.

Please someone, sell us some crazy.

16. Steve GadFly
    Original Member

Steve GadFly Gold Member

Status Points:
    These aircraft changes that $misek is implementing are a conspiracy being pushed by the chiropractor's lobby!

17. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    FTFY. ;)

Steve GadFly likes this.
  18. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Your thoughts are logical, but you're missing one key ingredient. It's often difficult to find an F seat between DFW and IAH on the C700s, as there is still a lot of connecting traffic going to/coming from DFW through IAH. I often pay for F to/from DFW when the other end is south, east or west, but I more often end up on an E145 or C200 for that segment.

Since all the C700s and mainline now leave DFW early in the morning and leave IAH in the evening, my schedule is going to have to be just right to get my money's worth. I'm not often going to schedule my life around this change, so the result is just less value. They may have valid reasons, and it may be a short flight, but I still don't like it one bit. It's especially puzzling when AA has 5 or 6 mainline flights in each direction per day with no RJ service even offered.

19. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    The ERJs are not great.. but I do like them better than the CRJ200. The exit row A seats are passable for the short time flight. Much prefer the CR7, but just be thankful you don't have a CRJ200.

20. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:

Quality has gone down too. I think its hard to have good service as a larger airline
    Example : Mileage plus service center is now overseas (it used to be Houston based)

flyforawg likes this.