UA changes my award flight schedule

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Thomask, Oct 13, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had booked a award ticket on UA. First leg on CA and second on TG. When I went into my UA account UA had changed the schedule. With the new one they posted (I am supposed to accept it by clicking , Yes agree) I will miss my second flight. I am aware that I can cancel most likely without charge but now no award flights are available on this route/day. Do I have any rights??? UA charges me $200 if I make any changes....

MX likes this.
  2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    You should ask UA to pay you $200. ;) Of course, it's not going to happen, but you don't have to just accept the inconvenience in silence. You might get some token compensation in miles.

3. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, that would be great especially since it is for 3 pax. They (UA) did that to me back in April 2013 as well. At that time I was unable to get an award flight out of my city and had to book a revenue flight to the next bigger city (to catch award flight form there) . I ask for compensation but they did not give any and after exchanging 2-3 e-mails wrote and said that there is nothing to add and will see case as closed.

MX likes this.
  4. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    e
    If I understand the situation correctly, it was the partners who changed their flight schedules, not United. You simply booked an award ticket using UA miles for flights on partners, and UA was communicating the schedule change on behalf of the partner. UA does not have control over their partner's schedule changes, only their own. The fact that there is no award availability on those partners for a particular day or routing -- is also not in UA's control, but rather whether the partner releases award availability to UA.

I appreciate that it is misleading to have to acknowledge the schedule change that won't clearly won't work, but this is how the UA system communicates schedule changes. Even if you 'accept' the change, you should be able to call UA, explain the situation (misconnect) & in these cases, no change fee should be charged since it was due to an involuntary schedule change. The best you can do is to keep checking partner award availability & then call UA to make the change when it becomes available, or cancel (an option which you are already are aware of).

5. Black Cloud
    Original Member

Black Cloud Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or, even better, don't click anything and call.

I'd suggest searching for alternate arrangements before you call (the wandr.me tools are great) so you can explicitly request specific changes. In no way should they charge you a fee to change or cancel.

If there's no open award capacity that works for you I'd have UA advocate on your behalf to force inventory on the operating carriers. Just prepare yourself for that not working.

And as others have mentioned this isn't UAs fault. Yes their system is clunky when it comes to accepting schedule changes but in this case they are only the messenger.

6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is this a schedule change or did UA put you on different flights, perhaps because the partner didn't confirm your award seats, for example if this happened before the trip was ticketed?

7. jaw_24
    Original Member

jaw_24 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is there a UA operated flight that could still work? My thought is that they'd be more flexible and able to open availability here.

8. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:
    I will do a search before I call so I will know what carriers and schedules are available. Thanks

Sweet Willie likes this.
  9. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:
    This had been confirmed/ticketed for weeks only lately did CA cancel flight. They often do that without notice and do not update winter/summer schedules in time.

10. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:
    no UA flights on that route at all in Asia.

11. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Your best bet is finding another flight which does have award space open. Next up will be getting UA to press the OALs to open space for you. That's generally easier to accomplish with JV/ATI partners than not, but no guarantees. And neither TG nor CA are such partners.

Good luck.

12. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:
    I called UA and changed my flight schedule completely. No change fees. There was a slight raise in fees (about $10 per ticket) in fees for the new routing but UA did not charge me for that either.

8MiHi, Newscience and IDGflygirl like this.
  13. terpfan101

terpfan101 Member

Status Points:
    I wanted to get opinions on a similar situation that occurred to me recently. About three weeks ago I booked an award flight for two with the following itinerary: IAD-YVR with UA and YVR to NRT with AC all in J. Originally the flights as scheduled had a 1:10 connection in YVR, however when I recently logged in to view the reservation I noticed that the AC flight aircraft and time changed so that the connection is now 40 minutes. I didn't feel good about the original time and certainly don't now. What are my options? As of now there are some alternative flights with business availability:

1) Swap to an AC flight out of YYZ (with a super early AM flight to YYZ on AC in Y only)
    2) Change to an ANA (old J seats) flight out of ORD

I'm fairly certain that I'm entitled to a switch to anything with availability. Could I get UA to do either of the following for me:

- Open up J space on a direct UA flight that's slightly later from IAD-YYZ to connect with the available AC flight?
    - Open up J space on the direct UA flight from IAD-NRT?
    - Something else?

I'm assuming that after February any changes would reprice at the new award levels thus I need to make any changes now. Thank you!

14. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Most likely is that they force the UA metal open for you IAD-NRT. If that's what you want I'd call and pursue that option. Just explain that the short connection is untenable and that the UA flight seems like the only reasonable solution.

8MiHi, bmg42000 and Flyer1976 like this.
  15. terpfan101

terpfan101 Member

Status Points:
    Thanks Seth. Do you think I could get them to open a different flight in J or even Y from IAD-YYZ to make that AC flight? My guess is no since they'd prefer the option you described due to not having to pay the AC fare.

16. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    They can force open UA inventory. If you want the AC flight in Y and need the UA flight to connect to it then they can make that happen. Getting them to force AC in J is a lot less likely to happen.

8MiHi, desamo and flyforawg like this.