UA award type change question: redeposit miles required?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by mediator, Mar 4, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. mediator

mediator Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have UA Gold status. I want to change a domestic Y saver rt (25k) to one-way J between US and Europe, the agent insist I need to redeposit and rebook. This will cost $100 for me. Is the agent right? Should I just HUACA?:(

2. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    edekba likes this.
  3. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    You are trying to do different things at once, including changing cabin and award type, and even destination because you'd like to change a domestic 'saver rt' to a TPAC J. There is no way to do that without canceling and rebooking. Here are the rules for the basic operations involving award reservations:

Flyer1976, genemk2 and edekba like this.
  4. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    sounds like the agent is correct.

NYCUA1K and genemk2 like this.
  5. mediator

mediator Silver Member

Status Points:
    I see. Thanks everyone!

6. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually I think it might be the $25 fee for this change...

The OP wants to change his award type from a domestic RT to an one way US/EU Award in J.

Changing the cabin, award type, or changing a flight to a different airline, regardless of departure date(3)

desamo likes this.
  7. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Award type means changing from Standard to Saver, presumably without changing RT to OW, destination, and class of service.

8. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    The biggie is that the OP also wants to change destination, going from one award region (domestic or Region 1) to another (EU). That requires canceling and rebooking

9. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not in my experience. I switched an Istanbul rt to a Japan one-way. Ticket started out life as a Hawaii one-way.

BTW, you can change online (I changed from Hawaii to Istabul online) and it won't charge you the re deposit, so....

10. B1BomberVB

B1BomberVB Silver Member

Status Points:
    Mediator, try to change it online first. You should at least save the Phone Booking Fee ($25) on the new award.

11. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Which airline or carrier? The 'experience' and rules being discussed involve United tickets and United metal...

12. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    If it's a destination/carrier change, you'll probably have to call anyway because it may not reticket correctly, but at least you'll save the fee.

13. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like the assumption is for a UA domestic award from a UA MP a/c, but not clear if the int'l portion was UA metal or a *A partner.

14. mediator

mediator Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, but every I tried the "change flights" online, the website gives me an error and asks me to call reservation.

B1BomberVB and NYCUA1K like this.
  15. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Your note at the bottom of the post seems to indicate that a non-elite would pay a change fee for a cabin change even if it was more than 21 days prior to departure. I don't have a ton of experience with this, but I'm interpreting the UA website differently:

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/mileageplus/awards/travel/ticketing.aspx

Specifically, it says "Adding, changing or deleting a connection, 21 days or more prior to departure". It lists no fee for non-elites. Am I just reading it wrong?

16. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Usually, when there is an itinerary change, which would include a change of destination, a new ticket must be issued and the requisite fees paid depending on one's elite status This is why being a "top elite" usually pays for itself because most fees are waived, in addition to all the other perks like GPUs, RPUs and priority on any CPU list. Having said that, the rules are clear, I think:
    Claims that those rules do not apply and one can simply change cabin, award type, carrier and/or destination with impunity within the UA system are simply not credible. Calling in to CSR to make one's case may avoid non-top elites some fees. Nothing else would be credible...

Q.E.D.;)

17. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    You got that backwards. The rules I posted are UA's.

18. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Sorry, you're right. I was reading it wrong. It's a change in cabin class that incurs a fee for non-elites.

IDGflygirl and NYCUA1K like this.
  19. B1BomberVB

B1BomberVB Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh yeah, Mediator! I remember having the same problem last year on an AC flight booked with UA miles!