UA award seat redemption

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by goheerow, Jan 10, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. goheerow

goheerow Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've never redeemed miles for an award ticket, but I've been thinking about it lately. If I have enough miles for myself and my wife, can I purchase both of our tickets with my miles or do I have to transfer miles to her account and each of us redeem our own separate award tickets? Probably a simple question, but again, I've never redeemed before. Thanks.

miles and smiles likes this.
  2. misterbwong

misterbwong Silver Member

Status Points:
    edited: Doh. Misunderstood the question. The answers below are much more accurate :)

3. infamousdx

infamousdx Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can redeem your miles for anyone, even strangers. No need to transfer.

goheerow, deant and miles and smiles like this.
  4. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is correct. You can redeem the miles from your account for two tickets (you and your wife) on a single itinerary. That is, if each ticket is 25,000 miles, then you can redeem 50,000 miles from your account for both. No need to split the reservation, transfer and book separately, or anything like that.

In fact, you can redeem your miles for an award for whomever you please. For example, you can fly in a family member to visit you (or maybe send one away!).

5. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    The one time I booked an award ticket, I used 105,000 BA mile (thanks, Chase!) from my account for me and my two children to Mexico. I then took 17,500 miles from one girl's AA account and booked my wife one-way to Mexico and 17,500 miles from the other girl's AA account and booked my wife back from Mexico.

So me and the kids were flying on my miles and my wife was flying on my kids miles.

6. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    goheerow likes this.
  7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    You generally should avoid transferring miles between accounts because of the fees involved, which can be more than the miles are worth. Exceptions could be special promos that grant additional miles or topping off for an available award and using orphan miles situations.

goheerow likes this.
  8. goheerow

goheerow Silver Member

Status Points:
    I guess that was where my confusion was. I wasn't sure if UA would force me to transfer miles to my wife and pay a fee or if I could purchase tickets for the entire family directly from my account. Looks like from what you guys are saying is that as long as I'm flying with my family, I can purchase all the tickets with my miles without doing any type of transferring. This is important for me as I'm the only one in the family that plays the credit card miles game. ;)

9. MDDCFlyer

MDDCFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can definitely do it on United. The last time I did it they put me through a verification process to make sure that I am who I am and really intend to use the miles for someone else.

goheerow likes this.
  10. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can do that even if you're NOT flying with your family. I've done it where most of our family was traveling together to HNL on one flight, but my BIL was arriving a day later and leaving 2 days earlier than the rest of us. No problems using my miles for his ticket. I've also flown my dad and stepmom up to visit us in Chicago using my miles.

goheerow likes this.
  11. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Remember that no one will earn miles on award tickets, not redeemable and not status miles. The lattr might matter for you so you might want consider whether you should purchase your own ticket in order to get elite qualifying miles.

if you pay for your own ticket with money, it cannot be on the same PNR as the award tickets, which would normally all be issued on the same PNR. PNRs can be split but never merged, although you can ask the airline to link or cross reference them, which has little effect in practice. Also, most airlines will not allow you to use miles from different FF accounts for award tickets in the same PNR, so that any tickets paid with your wife's miles would probably be in a separate PNR.

gobluetwo likes this.
  12. goheerow

goheerow Silver Member

Status Points:
    Never fly enough in a year to earn status so I'm merely trying to utilize my collected miles for a family trip sometime in the near future. Thanks all.

mailbroad likes this.