UA award on Star Alliance - who is on the hook for what?

Discussion in 'Star Alliance' started by r0m8470, Feb 19, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. r0m8470

r0m8470 Silver Member

Status Points:
    First of all, if this is not the right place, please feel free to suggest where I should post - or the mod can move it to the right spot.

I have 2 rather complex award itineraries booked with UA miles, although no actual flights were done on UA. These itineraries involve AC, CA, OS, and SQ, with stopover and open jaw.

In the event that one of the connecting flight had issues (delayed, or cancellation or what-have-you), who do I need to contact to resolve? Is it UA or the operating airline?

Oh, and I found out that it took a while for UA phone agent to get SQ segment booked. I had to endure 2 transfers and spent about 75 minutes on the phone with holds etc, but the good thing is it is ticketed now.

Newscience and ContinentalFan like this.
  2. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    Your best bet in case of IRROPS is the operating airline, and almost always at the airport rather than via phone. Changes in advance (e.g. schedule change that is now a misconnect) should be handled by your ticketing carrier (UA).

3. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    And a topped off battery, as you have noted the usual long sequences on the phone.

4. r0m8470

r0m8470 Silver Member

Status Points:
    What is IRROPS may I ask?

Irregular Operation?

5. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes. In effect any delays/cancellations/etc that happen during travel.

6. Flying Machine

Flying Machine Silver Member

Status Points:
    I Find using the OC APP for check in and flight information will yield good results. The OC will always make accommodations and if your marked as INVOL and get rebooked you may be in a Mileage Earning Situation. Enjoy and Safe Travels

ContinentalFan likes this.
  7. r0m8470

r0m8470 Silver Member

Status Points:
    OC APP means Operating Carrier app? Marked as INVOL means Involuntary?

I am a bit leery with my ticketed itinerary even though UA displayed the itinerary in their award search tool as a valid one. I am flying from ICN back to the States, in biz, but have to do it via Europe since there is no space for Trans-Pacific route. The route is ICN-PEK-VIE-ZRH-YYZ-SEA. The connection time in ZRH is only 50 minutes. I've been to ZRH a couple of times but I don't know if 50 min is good enough to connect from Austrian Air gate to the Air Canada gate.

Newscience likes this.
  8. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    50 minutes is more than enough time to make a Schengen to Non-Schengen connection at Zurich. :)

As for the acronyms you're correct, and the last carrier to fly you is responsible for you should IRROPs occur as they will need to INVOL your ticket and reissue it to get you where you're going. :)

Newscience likes this.
  9. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
  10. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    You should be able to highlight the acronyms used by MP members, and a "pop-up" will explain them. Some members use acronyms without any explanation, and you will need to search elsewhere if Milepoint hasn't updated their database to include the ones used.

Counsellor likes this.
  11. r0m8470

r0m8470 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thks. I used AdBlock, and that kills most of the pop-ups.

Good tip on batteries, thank you.