UA Award Newbie Questions

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by sunny_sc, Oct 24, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sunny_sc
    Original Member

sunny_sc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does UA release saver availability closer to travel dates? Is there any possibility that this would happen for late December travel dates? (Am I just dreaming here?) :)

Is there any advantage/disadvantage to booking my outbound/inbound flights separately? There is a saver redemption on the outbound that I'd like to book, but if any saver availability would open up for late Dec, I'd love to book that. If that's not going to be a possibility, I might end up booking a cash ticket depending on the price.

To add a lap infant to my reservation, can I book my seat first and then call to add my baby? Or would I have to do the whole reservation on the phone?

Thanks in advance for all the help!

Jett Rink and 8MiHi like this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can seats open later? Sure. Will they? No one knows.

There are pros and cons to booking as one-way versus a round trip. The round trip gets an extra stopover, for example, but also means you pay any change fees twice if you have to change both halves.

You can add the infant after completing the regular booking.

8MiHi and sunny_sc like this.
  3. BlueDog

BlueDog Active Member

Status Points:
    Saver awards occasionally become available but in my experience it isn't often; I wouldn't count on it in late December.

If you want a stopover you must book a round-trip; otherwise, you should book two one-ways. You don't say what your status is, but if you can redeposit the miles without a fee, then you can book the outbound and cancel later if you find a good fare.

You can book your seat first and then call to add a lap infant. If it's domestic, there's no problem doing this. If it's international, good luck! Many agents don't know how to do this because it is 10% of the fare. So be prepared for a long wait while they compute this. You may have to hang up and call again. One time I was trying to do this, the csr put me on hold for 2 hours (seriously!) and then came back with the answer that they can not come up with the fare
    (this was a complicated *A award), so I just booked an extra seat for my infant.

8MiHi and sunny_sc like this.
  4. sunny_sc
    Original Member

sunny_sc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great point! I didn't think of that.

About stopovers, if I do my outbound as a saver and return trip as a standard award, does that mean my return trip can have a free stopover? I'm planning SEA -> YYZ, then YYZ -> SEA. Could I do YYZ -> SEA -> SFO in it's place, with the SEA -> SFO flight in the future? Am I understanding how these work correctly?

Are there restrictions on how long the stop over in SEA can be? If I need to make a change to the date, can I do that after my YYZ -> SEA leg?

I don't have any status with United and also only about 2000 miles in my UA account so I'm planning on transferring from UR points for the remainder.

8MiHi likes this.
  5. BlueDog

BlueDog Active Member

Status Points:
    Sorry, I was assuming international flights (Canada doesn't count as international for award travel). United does not allow stopovers on itineraries only in US/Canada. Only Delta does.

sunny_sc likes this.
  6. sunny_sc
    Original Member

sunny_sc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the clarification!

7. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    You could, however, book three one-ways (for more miles) and wind up with the free stopover.

Flyer1976 likes this.