UA Award Change Fee? Is UA correct?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by edekba, Mar 24, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been playing with UA.com for a while, trying to get it price out where I wanted to go when I wanted ... but it just wasn't cooperating so I threw in some variations to see if it would work.I had to book the shell pieces then add some other things & the UA agent said that it was going to cost me $75.00 change fee per person. I tried to argue that the reason why I'm calling this in is because UA.com wouldnt let me (like what I've read online & not to mention it's true, thus I shouldn't be charged it) but she wouldn't waive it. What do you think?

My Plan was LAX - CDG - VIE - somewhere in asia - Home.

The only thing that I could get to book on UA.com was

ORD - BRU - BKK - SIN - HND - LAX so I booked that. After I got the confirmation I called up UA and explain what I needed & why.

1) I needed to start from LAX; so LAX - ORD - BRU
    2) I really wanted to go to VIE/CDG not BRU & I found a CDG - BKK (TG a380!) so thus I needed to add BRU - VIE.
    3) Switch BRU - BKK to CDG - BKK.

I got her to do it all (plus $200+ in CDG taxes!) but then she said because I am changing my origin it will cost me $75/pax.

I agreed becuz all in all ... 240k + $700 is a great deal for the following in all business class

LAX - ORD - BRU - VIE
    CDG - BKK - SIN
    SIN - HND - LAX

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe that technically the agent is correct. You changed the start point which incurs a fee. Some have claimed success making changes inside of 24 hours but that rule as written allows refunds, not changes, AFAIK.

Make sure to eat on the SIN-HND flight or in the lounge prior to the HND-LAX flight. There is a tiny dessert/snack served and the meal isn't until ~8 hours in after you wake up.

IDGflygirl, edekba and Scottrick like this.
  3. mherdeg
    Original Member

mherdeg Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is correct -- there is no published "the Web site won't ticket it, so you have to do it for me for free and waive the phone fee" fee waiver.

In practice, sometimes appealing to an agent's kindness will lead them to waive this fee, and sometimes if they say no, politely disengaging and calling someone else and trying again may work.

But in general, no, there is no such waiver -- which means that there is no way for you to ticket must-phone-in-to-book carriers like LOT or EVA without paying a phone fee.

I wouldn't put it past someone to file a class-action lawsuit about this in 2016.

4. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    To the lawsuit, HA! :) RE: LOT, I've booked them (recently) via UA.bomb. Not sure if that's changed.

5. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not that the airlines ever promised fee-free reservations. Some are more upfront than others about charging a booking fee, but I think most airlines are pretty transparent what booking and change fees might apply.

In this case even United couldn't book it online, and they're among the better carriers when it comes to online availability.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  6. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    In that case; wouldn't it be a "cheaper" option for me to cancel this reservation (It is within 24hrs) & book it over the phone for $25/pax? I think it's kinda wack but I'm just saying.

&

Thanks! I was on that same exact flight in Jan ... but now its up front vs in the back!

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It would've been cheaper to book with the agent initially. Now I wouldn't take the gamble that the canceled seats go back into inventory. One in the hand is worth a dozen in the bush under these circumstances. ;)

8. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    exactly!

9. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does anyone know if I change CDG - SIN - LAX to CDG - DPS - LAX and departing 2 days later will that be another $75/pax?

10. 50_fishing

50_fishing Active Member

Status Points:
    I have a question on the UA mileage charge on confirmed award ticket. I have 2 UA saver award tickets HNL-NRT-BKK-HDY booked last year. A few days ago, Thai airways opens 2 F saver award on the NRT-BKK leg. I called UA and want to do a cabin upgrade, she told me no problem and that will be 30K additional miles for each ticket. May be my math is off, a saver J from HNL-HDY is 37.5 K and saver F is 50K. I was expecting to upgrade from J to F for 12.5K plus last minute booking fee. However the agent told me the computer shown 67.5K if I upgrade only the NRT-BKK. Is anyone have experience on last minute (my flight is on 3-28) cabin upgrade with higher than normal mileage charge?

11. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:

Changing a connection or date of departure more than 21 days away does not incur a fee. But if you're less than 21 days in, I think the agent will charge you $150pp; $75 for the connection change, and $75 for the date change.

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/mileageplus/awards/travel/ticketing.aspx

edekba likes this.
  12. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like the agent is splitting it into multiple different awards rather than repricing as a single award with some segments booked in a lower class of service. Call back and ask them to confirm that it is just a single HNL-HDY award booked in "O" with some segments in "I" rather than multiple awards

genemk2 likes this.
  13. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    My flights are in November; so hopefully it'll be fine.
    thanks

14. 50_fishing

50_fishing Active Member

Status Points:
    Wandering Aramean thanks for your advise. The 2 F NRT-BKK are long gone. Next time I will ask the agent if she split my reservations . All my flights are booked class I.

15. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well that was interesting.

I called up UA asking if I could change my current reservation
    SIN - HND SQ634 3:35 PM 11:05 PM
    HND - LAX NH1006 12:05 AM 4:55 PM

Could be changed to these flights one day later (with an 18h Layover in ICN); but they said it's not allowed.
    SIN - ICN SQ602 2:30 PM 9:55 PM
    ICN - SEA OZ272 6:30 PM 11:10 AM
    SEA - DEN UA742 4:05 PM 7:37 PM
    DEN - LAX UA815 9:30 PM 11:00 PM

16. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Did they say why?

17. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just that it is not allowed... Sort of confused because I'm not changing destination or origin. Just the way to get there on another date that involves more flights and kidna go around a bit more.

Should I call back and try w/another agent?

18. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Well, in that we know it should be I'd press for more specifics. The computer won't auto-price lots of things which are permitted and the agents don't want to figure out why. Press them or accept that you cannot have what you want; I know which side I'm on in this case.

edekba likes this.
  19. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm gonna wait till I get home & get the other number I have for UA Reservations; and not Dial the regular 800 - UNITED1 #.

those guys seems more willing to do stuff for me

20. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    After about 1.5 hr :) (I found the number on my cell) I got it done!!! yay! [but didnt get any work done oh well]

At First agent said I can't cross both oceans, then he said I had 2 stopovers, then he said it wouldn't price. He called the rates desk but they couldn't do it either. Eventually transfered me to Alliance desk and she got it to work =)

Happy Dance!

Weird I just got the confirmation email and I didn't know a A320 could fly TPAC

OZ272 I SEOUL, REPUBLIC OF SOUTH KOREA
    (ICN - INCHEON) 6:30 PM SEATTLE, WA
    (SEA) 11:10 AM A-320

Flyer1976 and Wandering Aramean like this.
  21. akcae
    Original Member

akcae Silver Member

Status Points:
    Today's flight was on A330-300. UA might be confused (shocking, I know).

edekba likes this.