UA Award Booking Engine Shows Unavailable Flights

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Minnesota Bruin, May 20, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Minnesota Bruin
    Original Member

Minnesota Bruin Silver Member

Status Points:
    So, I've been struggling with this for a while now. I'm trying to book a couple one ways FRA-<LAX in LH F for mid-June. The booking engine often shows availability from FRA or MUC to IAD or ORD but get the following error when I try to book them:

I can enter all the traveler and payment information but get the error when I click for the final purchase. Of course, I can repeat the search and see the same flights and get the same message. A few days ago, this process started making phantom reservations that show up in my profile as on hold. But when I try to complete the purchase that way, I get the same message.

I've also called several times and the phone agents say they don't see the availability either.

I just wish the website would only show real availability so that I don't have to take the time to go through the purchase steps over and over and over for weeks... :(

Sweet Willie, TAHKUCT and goalie like this.
  2. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed.

Minnesota Bruin and goalie like this.
  3. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed as well but also add "that it would be nice" ;) if the website also showed flights and routines that in fact exist instead of only those flights and routines to, from and via "the fortress hubs" <feh>

JLSocks and Minnesota Bruin like this.
  4. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I saw this for a bit when I was trying to me a TG reservation, then later it did open up. I would try regularly for the next few weeks and hope that it does work at some point.

Minnesota Bruin likes this.
  5. Minnesota Bruin
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Did you ever do anything about all the phantom reservations (i.e. on hold reservations with no availability) or just let them expire?

6. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I never tried to hold them, I was trying to purchase them immediately..

7. Minnesota Bruin
    Original Member

Status Points:
    So was I! It just started creating held reservations when I try to purchase them. :confused:

8. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
  9. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's an unfortunate side effect of caching. The new UA's website (aka, CO's website) is much faster at searching availability across multiple carriers than UA's was at just searching UA's availability. I suspect they're caching the results on the backend and they're not getting purged when tix are being booked :(

LETTERBOY and Minnesota Bruin like this.
  10. Minnesota Bruin
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I was thinking that's probably right but then I went on Aeroplan and did a search for the same dates. Aeroplan is showing the same (or better) availability that I see on United. So that implies one of the following:
    (1) Some level of Starnet Blocking is back. :mad:
    (2) Two independent search engines are not showing incorrect LH availability. :(

Just called in again and was told that the held reservations are made when you try to book First but only Business is available. They don't see any of the availability that is online at United or Aeroplan.

11. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    IME twice when I tried to book First (phantom) a held res was created but many other times - it wasn't. I think I have too many other ways to drive myself crazy to try to figure this out.