UA at IAD - Terminal A

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by chef4u, Jun 26, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. chef4u
    Original Member

chef4u Silver Member

Status Points:
    Flew through IAD this weekend ---- BUF-IAD-PVD and then PVD-BUF-IAD. All I can say is wow...A gates for UA ( gates 1-6 to be more specific) are like a cattle call when boarding. Felt like I was in a third world country. Poor boarding practices and confusion all around.

Off course flight delays on either end of my trip didn't help. But that's for another post.

2. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would place almost all of the blame for this experience squarely on the shoulders of Air Wisconsin, the company that handles all express ground ops at IAD. Simply a miserable operation there. The leftover blame falls upon UA for selecting such a poor company to handle ops at IAD.

3. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    While the A gates at IAD are pretty bad, they are far from the worst I have seen or experienced. DL has a much worse setup at SLC, JFK (though they will be fixing some of that), and the D gates at ATL.

4. phlwookie
    Original Member

phlwookie Silver Member

Status Points:
    IAD A is not fun, but it's far better than the old Terminal G. Rarely have I been so happy to see a building demolished.

IMGone and ssullivan like this.
  5. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Air Wisconsin is far nicer than Atlantic Coast, the launch customer
    if you will for the not-so-recently updated IAD A.

6. chef4u
    Original Member

chef4u Silver Member

Status Points:
    According to one of the GA's at PVD, the blame often lies on Air Colgan, which has been passed from US Air to Continental and now to UA. Both my flights to and from PVD ex IAD were both late. Good thing I got on an earlier flight yesterday from PVD to IAD, since my original flight from PVD to IAD was 56 minutes late, leaving with me a 19 minute connection to BUF.

7. PanAm
    Original Member

PanAm Silver Member

Status Points:
    IAD A terminal is indeed a shameful sight...UA should be embarrassed at the whole setup. No RCC, often hot and smelly...and noisy. Terrible ground crew most of the time. Though I agree that G Terminal was horrid and glad to see it gone. I avoid IAD whenever possible since I know I'm pretty likely to encounter the A Terminal for at least one leg.

8. AAAAAhhhhh yes... Terminal G... I referred to it fondly as the "Greyhound Terminal" back in the day as it reminded me of a wonderful Greyhound Bus Station... complete with surly attendants, bad food and that PA system that seemed to echo throughout the building...

9. lhrsfo
    Original Member

lhrsfo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would put it the other way round. UA's contractors fly under UA's name (with an Express added) and to the service expectations laid down by UA. So, in my book, UA is principally to blame for bad service, whether because the specifications were not good enough or the contractor oversight was not good enough. It's no different with the food - we all know that UA does not prepare its own food, but if it's disgusting we still blame UA.

10. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Terminal A = 5 Guys. :cool:

SC Flier likes this.
  11. IndyDavid
    Original Member

IndyDavid Gold Member

Status Points:
    The real problem is when you have an A <--> C/D connection. The MCT at IAD is still 30 minutes, but if you're even a little late, you mis-connect. It takes 30 minutes just to walk to the stupid train. Oh, and nobody in A will hold a flight for a late connecting passenger, even if it's the last flight of the night. Need a hotel? Sorry, weather.

If I can't fly through CLE :)D), I honestly prefer ORD (!) and EWR (!!) to IAD.

12. Kevincm
    Original Member

Kevincm Silver Member

Status Points:
    About the only good thing in that area since there's no RCC around.. .;).

On a semi tight A-C Connection when the Moon Buggies were running, it was entierly possible to make an international connection (especially if you're stuck in the C Concourse Immigration Dungeon).

Nowdays, running for the train and running through the "new" train station is the only option, and it isn't pleasant...

13. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, how quickly everyone seems to have forgotten that IAD A is an enormous improvement over the old RJ/prop gates at IAD G.

14. phlwookie
    Original Member

phlwookie Silver Member

Status Points:
    Indeed. Terminal G was mind-bogglingly bad. From the crowds and cramped space to the inaudible announcements, multiple flights boarding through the same door (worse than A), the surly employees, lack of amenities or, well anything, it was awful. This is not to say A is enjoyable, I just don't find it much worse than, say, UX at ORD F or US Express at PHL F.

And of course Atlantic Coast was the worst of the worst when it came to regional carriers. They became Independence Air then flamed out with money-making brilliance like IAD-FNT six daily CRJ flights. Air Wisconsin isn't good at ground handling, and now many of their CRJs fly for US, where they can't seem to keep much of a schedule due to constant maintenance and crew availability issues. Maybe I'm just unlucky with them lately, but I recall them being better in their UX days.

But lhrsfo is right - it doesn't have to be this way. UA could hold its Express carriers to higher standards. But then their costs would go up. As with any outsourcing, if the outsourcer screws up, it's the outsourcing company that takes a hit on their brand and reputation.

15. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or you can walk over to B, where AA is, and visit Pot Belly Deli or Chipotle. Easy walk. :)

16. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I totally agree about the stupid train. I still use the buggy most of the time. I'd rather sit there for 5 minutes waiting for it to go than do the walk (unless I have lots of time of course). Also...as a 1K...UA will put you up in a hotel even if the reason for the delay was weather. Sometimes agents don't know this...or don't want to know it...so you have to ask someone else...but I've always been able to get a room when I pushed the point. Now the quality of the rooms...that's a different story entirely :D

17. Billiken
    Original Member

Billiken Silver Member

Status Points:
    Was in IAD A for IAD-CLE last Wednesday evening....turned from afternoon into evening because of a four hour mechanical delay. Crowded mess and no RCC. (Did get a $150 appreciation e-voucher for the torture.)

18. oneeyejack

oneeyejack Gold Member

Status Points:
    when i have layover in IAD i always take a walk over there for some burgers. :)

19. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Remember if you have a club membership or *G status, you can always make the hike over to B and enjoy the LH lounge there.

Steve GadFly likes this.
  20. Steve GadFly
    Original Member

Steve GadFly Gold Member

Status Points:
    I remember flying ORD-IAD-AOO (Allentown...last flight of the night). There were 4 of us on the ORD flight which wound up being delayed about 90 minutes. We landed in IAD with about 25 minutes to spare, all the other pax let the four of us off the plane first, and I asked the arriving gate agent to call over to the AOO gate to tell them we were running to make it.

The idiots in A closed the door 15 minutes prior to departure so when we arrived 13 minutes before departure time, they wouldn't let us on. Wound up all going into State College and I gave the other three pax a ride into Allentown arriving REALLY late at night.

How could they be so idiotic to close the door on a flight early when there are 4 connecting pax (I've actually never seen more than 10 - 15 pax on IAD-AOO and I've taken it a lot so we may have been up to 1/2 the load) who would have made it? Friggin' thoughtless!

21. IndyDavid
    Original Member

IndyDavid Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's exactly what happened to my parents last time they transited IAD in May. The Express bozos closed the door and closed out the flight 15 or 16 minutes before the posted departure time, even though they knew checked in connecting passengers were on their way. Why does United let them get away with this??

David

22. Billiken
    Original Member

Billiken Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thought *G or RCC/PClub had to have int'l boarding pass to enter U.S. based *A lounges (x, US, UA, CO).

23. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, UA, US Airways, or CO *G have to have a *A international boarding pass to enter domestic UA, US Airways, or CO clubs. UA, US Airways, or CO *G need any *A boarding pass to enter any domestic United States non-UA, non-US Airways, non-CO club. For example, Lufthansa operates clubs in IAD and DTW that are *G lounges, so I can enter either of them with a domestic ticket on any *A carrier.