UA applies for new Haneda routes: SFO/EWR chosen

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Wandering Aramean, Apr 21, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The DoT is requiring all airlines to reapply for Haneda service with the shift to daytime slots. UA has applied to keep its SFO service and add EWR as well.

I think that EWR has a very strong chance of winning the extra slot given the NYC-esque nature of the hub.

DL applied for ATL/MSP/LAX. AA for LAX/DFW. HA for HNL/KOA with the twist that the second frequency would be 3x KOA/4x HNL weekly and would be considered as a night slot if that's all it can get.

More details/analysis of the new Haneda slot applications on my blog if anyone cares.

(Bold codes are the cities with existing service)

2. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    Playing armchair route planner, I wonder if UA considered asking for one night slot and one daytime slot and scissored aircraft between SFO/EWR.
    Currently, SFO-HND is 7:20pm->10:35pm+1 and HND-SFO midnight:30am-5:45pm-1 and
    JL runs SFO-HND 1:35am-4:45am+1 and HND-SFO midnight:05am-4:45pm-1

with one night time and one daytime, UA could run:
    SFO-HND 1:30am-4:45am+1 (night slot arrival) to improve connections to ANA and public transport into the city
    HND-EWR 8am-7:55am (day slot departure)
    EWR-HND 4pm-7pm+1 (day slot arrival) or something, maybe 5pm-8pm+1, but I don't know when ANA's latest bank is
    HND-SFO 11pm-4:45pm-1 (night slot departure)
    basically fitting a HND-EWR-HND in, where with only a single nighttime slot, an aircraft would have to sit on the ground for 18 hours.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Interesting idea and it could work from a fleet perspective, though for now the proposal is different aircraft types so probably not really viable. I also wonder about that 5 arrival. I cannot remember ever being happy about a flight timed that way. :/

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wonder why Delta asked for MSP instead of SEA.

5. rggale
    Original Member

rggale Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd like it. Call me crazy, but I prefer having a full day at my destination, or at least more time to get better onward connections.

Dublin_rfk likes this.
  6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Odds of getting SEA after the silliness that ended with DL giving up that slot and AA getting it are very, very low IMO.

7. Laptop Nomad

Laptop Nomad Silver Member

Status Points:
    Has United given up on Narita or our they flying to both airports?

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    UA flies to both now. But connections and O/D at HND will be stronger in most cases, especially as UA also has own-metal options to more of China and SIN starting this summer.