UA and US Departure from Star Alliance

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Desert_Dweller, Aug 9, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Desert_Dweller

Desert_Dweller Member

Status Points:
    First time post to this forum, but looking for opinions from the experts...

Current UA Plat well on the way to 1K this year, achieved mostly from flights to So America. Being based in PHX, currently take short domestic hops on US (LAS, SJC, SMF, SNA) and enjoy *Gold benefits like early boarding and preferred security lanes while accruing UA EQM's.

Obviously that changes once US-AA merger is complete which leaves me with a decision - have AA status match me via elite challenge or stay w UA but give up alliance benefits when travelling on short hops out of PHX.

I have not called the Premier Desk on their plans thinking it would be a waste of time and am already seeing reduced UA short hop service from PHX with more RJ's and a reduction in flights. I spoke to UA pilot recently about this prior to boarding and he commented that UA does not value PHX and considers it a tourist destination, not a viable business hub and as such, he felt UA does not care about the loss of US as an alliance partner in PHX. He doubt's they would do anything to increase service.

Interested in thoughts here and wonder if there are other hubs similarly impacted and if so, what are your plans moving forward?

Flyer1976, desamo, jbcarioca and 2 others like this.
  2. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Simple, CLT based UA 1K, flew short hops on US when necessary, long hauls on UA. Am in midst of US status challenge and will be US CP (and hopefully AA EXP) at month's end. Cannot keep status if US isn't in *A and will not be subject to the never ending ridiculousness of UAX.

3. Phudnik
    Original Member

Phudnik Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am currently a 1K but will be either Gold or Plat next year depending on which projects i sell for the fall. I am PHL-based.

Unlike my esteemed friend from US's other East Coast hub, I have not yet done the US challenge. I go to Europe for business 3-4 times per year in paid C, and for the past several years, it has almost always been less expensive to take the train to EWR or fly LH out of PHL, so I expect most of my miles will still be on *A carriers going forward. My main domestic routes are to ORD and LAX; UA is still an option on the former, and could be an option on the latter if they reinstate the route after losing US as a partner. (Given equal pricing, I'd prefer VX to US/AA anyway.) Family vacations have been largely on WN (wife and kids do not like US) and may even be on F9 out of ILG next year :eek:

I will probably end up flying US enough to make the lowest elite tier, and I'll barely make gold on UA. I will do the US challenge only if it is cheaper than paying for checked bags when we go to Florida next spring. I have learned to fly direct for work whenever possible, and I will never connect on UAX through IAD unless I have a long layover and am connecting to a transatlantic flight, but it will be rare when the new AA is the only option on a given route.

In your case, I would either challenge to US/AA and switch to them for international flights, or fly WN for short hops if you are going to stick with UA. As a non-elite, WN is superior to US in Y, IMO. The key question is whether you would be able to fly UA enough to maintain the status you want (for me, that would be at least Gold to get E+ at booking).

4. Desert_Dweller

Desert_Dweller Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the replies - consistent w my own thinking though would never fly WN even for short hops out of PHX - never have liked them for some reason though they do get you where you want to go and recently read they are the #1 carrier in the US domestic market.

It appears AA is determined to improve their service and folks I've spoken to confirm same though its been several years since I stepped aboard AA metal. More than likely I will continue with UA for the remainder of the year, achieve 1K and fly them early next year to use my GPU's. in 2H14, will request status match w AA and move my business to them/US. The benefit of waiting as I recall is if you complete the AA elite challenge after 7/1 in any calendar year, the status will last for a full year and a half - not sure US status match offers this and thinking the FF programs will not yet have merged come July 2014. Just something to consider given the chance.

5. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    After 7-1 US challenge is good through 2-28-15. I checked carefully. ;)

guberif likes this.
  6. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Out of PHX and CLT, doing a status challenge to US/AA makes a lot of sense.

Out of PHL, it's a little different as you have ZFV as an option. Take the train to EWR and fly out from there.

For the OP, if south america is the primary destination, US/AA will serve them very very well.

PHX being a tourist destination rather than business destination should bode well for keeping mainline. Fewer flights,larger gauge. Out of EWR, i'm seeing a lot of E145s on routes where competitors have first class. I'm flying to MSY next week and DL has mainline out of LGA (preferred airport). Also seeing a lot of E145s out to YYZ where they are focusing on frequency vs. capacity.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  7. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I think you'll find AA's service much better than you expect unless Doug tanks things. I'm a 1K and an EXP on AA. I get treated noticeably better in so many ways on AA. Flying to South America makes more sense for you on AA and you can still keep US/AA out of PHX for domestic, though I suspect the new AA will slightly shrink PHX, not expand.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  8. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    You might consider A3 as a way to keep convenient *A Gold status, and get *A lounge access, too. :)

9. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did US officially terminate its relationship with Star at some point in the future...or are they in Star indefinitely until they become part of OneWorld if/when the AA merger goes through?

10. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    A change in control of US to an airline belonging to another alliance was almost certainly going to be the point of official termination notification, so it should be business as usual for US in Star for the indefinite future. Code sharing may a different story, however.

Gtitan and LETTERBOY like this.
  11. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well technically the way the deal is structured would be a change in control of AA to a *A airline. ;)

Sent from a place using a fruit thing.

12. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yep

13. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Has UA/US officially stopped code-sharing at some point in the future? Or is that held-off until the merger is complete?

14. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    It was supposed to when merger went though. As of now still going.

15. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    And pretty unlikely to stop, IMO, until the merger is ultimately finalized (if ever).

Gtitan, davef139 and LETTERBOY like this.