UA and CO Call Center's Post March 3

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by AZjohn, Feb 12, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    As it has been posted on several threads, it seems both UA and CO call centers have both pros and cons for both general members and elites.

UA has their international call centers for general members, which can be a horror if you need any kind of special help. For general members of CO, it appears that hold times can be excruciating. For elites they have a separate phone number, but depending on the level, wait on hold and help with issues (or bending the rules) varies also.

I have had the prvilege to be able to call the 1K line, and have had nothing but outstanding experiences and results >95% of the time.

So what I was wondering, what is going to be happening with these various call centers and elite levels of service post March 3? We will still have seperate UA and CO departments?

John

unavaca and Max M like this.
  2. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    There will be unified numbers for reservations post-3/3.

3. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    But where, or want UA/CO department will these go to?

4. mherdeg
    Original Member

mherdeg Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have an uncanny feeling that we'll lose the 1K Web Support line, the group of agents who are based offshore and who have always been hyper-competent and capable of working magic in the departure-management system that takes normal reservation agents 10-45 minutes.

5. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    I hope not, who would fill in?

6. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    When contacting the 1K-Elite web support, I enquired as to what would happend after 3-3-12. I was told there will no longer be a web support number, and the only method to reach web support will be seeing an error on the United web site which will then provide you with a number to call. I hope this is wrong, as there needs to be competent web support to assist with booking issues on the site.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Write down that number for future reference? Or will they reject any calls where you don't start out with I"I was tying to do X and got error Y and it told me to call you." ?

8. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    From what I've seen thus far, my gut feeling is that, for at least the immediate future post-integration, Premiers are going to be primarily routed to sCO call centers, while everyone else gets luck of the draw.

In this regard, I'm going to suggest rolling with whatever numbers we are given post-3/3.

AZjohn likes this.
  9. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    I do respect "gut feels" (I use them all the time) and along with your insight LHRguy and my other MP friends. I have and will continue trying the best I can rolling with all issues regarding the merger (what choices do we have at this point?).

But, coming from the ranks of GM, and then 1P, and for the past several years as 1K, one benefit I have always appreciated (and sometimes take for granted) is when I need to contact UA regarding issues with booking, inventory, upgrades, changes in plans, etc., I always got outstanding service with calling UA 1K and 1P lines, compared to GM number (and trust me, I do have a lot of sympathy for GM's calling). But I do not have a lot of CO call center experience (the couple times I did call was not great). Because of this, it just hit me with reading other recent threads, what is going to happen with the call centers and possible changes (possibly) in service (compared to what I use now)?

Trust me, this is now become way more of a concern for me over other issues like lounge access, what they are serving for a meals, and how they board the freakin aircraft.

Just curious if anyone knows the changes in this area.

10. chitownflyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    AFAIK, CO does not have any overseas call centers. I spoke with 1K reservations desk in HNL, and the agent told me he was pleased with the training they were receiving for the new customer service model based upon CO's motto of having empowered employees whom provide good customer service. I hope this means we will get better service and some leniency on the no waivers, no favors policy that oftentimes permeates United's customer service model.

AZjohn and HiIslands like this.
  11. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe that the company has already announced all elites will be handled on-shore while they will maintain, at least for now, the off-shore centers for the volume of calls in general.

AZjohn and gobluetwo like this.
  12. LAXtraveler
    Original Member

LAXtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Calling CO is a terrible experience, is this going to get better when things are merged.

I just tried calling CO this morning and it hung up on me saying the call volume was too high. Even worse, there's no sensible way to contact them through online messaging or live chat options on their website.

FriendlySkies and AZjohn like this.
  13. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I spent 40 minutes on hold, then the line went dead. I waited another two minutes, but nothing. I had to go to a meeting, so I never called back. Ugh. My United account is linked to the wrong CO account, one that's been merged into another account. Therefore, transferring miles and status sweeps and stuff is broken.

AZjohn likes this.
  14. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    That happened to me every time I called them until I got the Elite Priority Desk number upon achieving Gold status. That number is usually answered promptly.

My solution before was to call the Spanish phone number. That line was always answered fast. I speak reasonably fluent Spanish, so I could get through the call most of the time. Most of those who answer that line are bi-lingual, so any speed bump would result in our switching to English. Others have transferred me to the English-speaking line (otherwise unreachable) when they detected my Gringo accent.

It is probably good for those of us who already have Elite/Premier status. The phone service was so bad that I would have never tolerated it if I did not know that I was on my way beyond it soon. I'm sure that others feel the same way I did. Hanging up on incoming calls is the one bit of horrible customer service i have found on CO, but it is (IMHO) totally unacceptable. I still can't believe they do it. They have been good to fantastic in every other way, and I have not regretted switching from American since I did so in 2009.

15. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    I personally prefer the onshore call centers. Would rather wait to talk to one.

16. Cuse44
    Original Member

Cuse44 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Spoke with the Pres Plat desk last night and they said that they will be merged into the Global Services call centers (Dearborn and HNL?). So, post Mar 3, calls for GS will be routed to those two and SLC. Also, the rep said the GS Phone Number will be the number going forward.

AZjohn and Wandering Aramean like this.
  17. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That number is also what appears above the card image when you click the "print dupe card" link on the PSS site.

Cuse44 likes this.
  18. tjtenor4
    Original Member

tjtenor4 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting point - I just went to check, and the corollary is that the good old 1K line phone number is the number that shows up for those of us who are 1K. That bodes well, I think..?

19. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Well, it certainly indicates one direction. Whether it is good or not is more a function of personal habit, right?? :p

I like that the sCO elite line spells something as that's easier for me to remember and dial, but really I just type "continental" or "united" into my phone and go from there so it doesn't matter to me one way or the other.

20. tjtenor4
    Original Member

tjtenor4 Gold Member

Status Points:
    :p I meant more along the lines of, it bodes well for them keeping the 1K call center. Yes, I have generally had good experiences with generic CO elite agents, but I've only had stellar service from the 1K line, and having a dedicated on-shore center for only the top elites is (IMO) a far better guarantee of exemplary service. And with the occasional exception, the wait times I have experienced over the past 2-3 years for the 1K line have been shorter than those for the CO elite line over the same time period.

Of course, I realize that it would be pretty easy for them just to keep this number and route it elsewhere...

21. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    150 new US-based call center agents will be hired in the next few weeks or so.

22. chitownflyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    This is great news. Let's try insourcing for a change, it usually leads to better customer service.

23. johnmontfx

johnmontfx Active Member

Status Points:
    I've spoken with three 1K agents this week -- and they are all actually looking forward to the switchover on 3/3.

I know it's a very limited sample, but based upon what I've been reading about SHARES and how horrible it was I was surprised how positive they were...I don't think they were just saying that. The general gist is that they're looking forward to a merged system...and just being one airline. If you think about it, they must be just as frustrated as we are with all the workarounds that have been going on over the last 12 months and more....

24. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had both a 1K agent and a Continental elite line agent this morning tell me they couldn't wait for it to all be on one system.

For the record, my 1K call took 25 minutes on hold, and was picked up by an offshore agent who was unable to understand what I wanted.

My call to the CO elite line was picked up immediately and took less than 10 minutes, and the agent knew exactly what to do.

I was trying to sponsor an upgrade on a UA international flight, issued on CO stock, using a CO SWU.

I've had good and bad experiences with both airlines on the phone; neither has a monopoly on either outstanding or horrible service. I suspect we're all somewhat more partial to the airline we had status with before the merger, as that's the system we're more familiar and experienced with. I was a 1K with UA for a few years pre-merger, and have had some bad experiences with them on the phone both pre- and post-merger. Same with CO, where I've had elite status over a decade.

25. Cuse44
    Original Member

Cuse44 Silver Member

Status Points:
    CO Reservation agents us EZ Res, which is the Shares GUI for reservations agents. I think UA res agents use native apollo. I can see why the UA agents would be excited for the switch.