UA-ANA Bangkok Service Agreement

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by HiIslands, May 11, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    As reported here:
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/busin...ok-service-agreement-20120510,0,7071654.story

United Airlines (UA) and All Nippon Airways (ANA) are rolling out a collaboration allowing passengers to travel on either or both airlines as if they were one carrier for flights from Bangkok to the US.
    In total, the two airlines are establishing six such partnership pacts. Singapore, Hong Kong, Taiwan and Philippine routes are already covered by similar agreements.
    Vietnam will be added to the list soon. The UA-ANA Bangkok cooperation is being called a joint venture by the airlines. They will coordinate their schedules, pricing and marketing.
    The airlines have received immunity from US anti-trust laws, which the collaboration might have violated given the level of cooperation and coordination envisioned.
    That immunity forms part of the US-Japan Open Skies Agreement struck two years ago, James Mueller, UA's vice-president for Atlantic and Pacific sales, explained in a briefing in Bangkok on Wednesday.
    The UA-ANA collaboration takes cooperation between the two airlines beyond the general cooperation in place within Star Alliance, the world's largest airline alliance. Both airlines are members.
    From a legal perspective, the joint venture permits UA to operate as if it were a Japanese airline and ANA to operate as if it were an American carrier, said Mr Mueller. UA has worked with Lufthansa in a similar manner for years on transatlantic routes.
    As a result of the joint venture, passengers can choose either airline for flights between Bangkok and Narita and for flights between Narita and the US.
    For instance, they could fly ANA to the US and return on UA.
    They would pay the same fare for flights between Thailand and the US regardless of which airline they use _ UA, ANA or some combination of the two.
    UA operates a daily flight between Bangkok and Narita using a Boeing 777-200. ANA offers two Bangkok-Narita flights and one Bangkok-Haneda flight, using Boeing 767-300ERs on all three of the Bangkok-Tokyo flights.
    ANA flies to six US cities _ New York, Washington, Chicago, San Francisco, Los Angeles and Honolulu from Narita.
    UA, which has operated in Thailand for 26 years, serves 224 destinations in the US.
    Dave Hilfman, UA's senior vice-president for worldwide sales, said his company is undertaking a US$550-million upgrade of its long-haul premium-cabin service.
    More than 130 UA aircraft will be outfitted with flat-bed seats.
    Once the upgrade is completed early next year, UA will offer more premium-cabin flat-bed seats than any other airline in the world.
    Some UA flights to Bangkok already use upgraded aircraft. Eventually, all UA aircraft deployed on the Bangkok route will be upgraded.
    Mr Mueller added that UA flights serving Bangkok will offer WiFi connectivity early next year.

Kalboz, JLSocks, unavaca and 2 others like this.
  2. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am wondering what the upgrade implications are from this agreement. Will UA and ANA try to do anything more than the typical Star Alliance upgrade program?

3. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    AFAIK the only agreement that UA has right now is with Lufthansa and these are day of departure upgrades with Systemwide Upgrades that are now known as Global Premier Upgrade Instruments.

HiIslands likes this.
  4. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's why I was wondering if UA might develop something similar with ANA since the article even cites the relationship with Lufthansa as being similar to this new agreement.

5. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    Will UA swus be valid on ANA in simmilar fashion that LH is today?

HiIslands likes this.
  6. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    For that to be really true, ANA metal has to earn lifetime BIS million miler miles. Also upgrade reciprocity - when I was traveling UA on an H fare upgraded using SWU and mis-connected at NRT and reaccommodated on NH, they would only give me Y. That's not seamless as if one carrier.​
    That would be nice.

7. Geo
    Original Member

Geo Gold Member

Status Points:
    and even there the fare class has to be pretty much Y (maybe M).

8. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't forget Copa.

That's not quite right; the actual fare class on LH has to be: JCD for business to first or YBMHQVGU for economy to business (G on UA is super discount economy, but appears on LH to be something higher)

9. Geo
    Original Member

Geo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm talking from experience here. Of 6 SWU's executed over the past two years, none, including H fares were ever accepted as being high enough to be SWU'd.

10. Pat+
    Original Member

Pat+ Silver Member

Status Points:
    Either you've been lied to or you were on special fares (group fares, etc.) but something's off.

11. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you saying that you weren't even allowed to be waitlisted, or that your waitlist never cleared? Assuming only LH, right?

12. Geo
    Original Member

Geo Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is correct. I've been repeatedly told full fare ornear full fare(b,m) only. It hasn't been much of an issue apart from a BAH-DOH-FRA-LGW trip, but I managed to scoop a bulkhead/exit. Other flights were only 90 min or less.

13. Golden Toque

Golden Toque Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think you have been told wrong!

14. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Used to be that you could upgrade discounted business (e.g. Z) to F on LH using SWU/GPU. I'm told that LH has now restriced the upgrades to only JCD fares - not just for us with SWUs/GPUs but even their own M&M who want to upgrade. I'm not sure which Y fares are eligible under the new policy.

It is really too bad as Z+SWU was a great way to fly LH's F while earning EQMs

15. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Use on Lufthansa flights

Global Premier Upgrades may also be used on Lufthansa-operated flights, on a day-of-departure basis. Members should call the MileagePlus Service Center at least two weeks in advance of their Lufthansa flight to request a printed certificate, which will be mailed to the member. The certificate must be presented to a Lufthansa representative at check-in. Each certificate is valid for a one-way, one-segment upgrade on any multi-cabin international flight operated by Lufthansa. Upgrades are subject to availability.
    Fare class eligibility is determined by the operating carrier. The following Lufthansa fares are not eligible for Global Premier Upgrades: Z, P, W, S, T, L, K, R, E, X, I, O, ID, AD and IP.

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/mileageplus/premier/swupgrades.aspx