UA: Advice needed on MR

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by LAXNRT, Feb 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. LAXNRT
    Original Member

LAXNRT Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am a complete noob when it comes to MRs. Have been getting status through corporate travel until now. I currently live in LA but will relocate to Tokyo in May to work in Japan again for three years. I have three UA vouchers, 2 for 250 USD, 1 for 350 USD I want to use before moving as I won't be able to use them after moving. Looking for flights the first couple weeks of April to get some EQMs on United as I will probably switch to NH for my Asia and Europe travel afterwards. Any recommendations on mileage runs out of LAX for beginning April?

joesmoe likes this.
  2. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    People are currently doing UA mileage runs from the west coast to Miami, apparently there were some very attractive fares available. However, I don't know if they are still on offer.

joesmoe likes this.
  3. LAXNRT
    Original Member

LAXNRT Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, will check this out.

4. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    Heard from one person that he's been doing BOS for MR's out of LAX. FLL also appears to be an option but you'll probably end up having to make a connection whereas BOS is direct.

LAXNRT likes this.
  5. LAXNRT
    Original Member

LAXNRT Silver Member

Status Points:
    Let me try this out. Thanks.

6. travel.flier
    Original Member

travel.flier Active Member

Status Points:
    The MIA runs are over, but they've been over at least 3 times and have come back, so just keep paying attention. UA tightened their routing rules, but you can still get a few hops (like LAX-SFO-IAD-xxx) which adds a few EQM.

7. eightblack
    Original Member

eightblack Silver Member

Status Points:
    When you move to NRT, are you going to still continue to credit your NH flights to MP? From my experience, you cant combine UA vouchers, which means you'll have to find 3 separate, well priced MR's. Maybe an option is to trade the vouchers on coupon connection and then just build up status in NH.

LAXNRT likes this.
  8. pseudosphere
    Original Member

pseudosphere Silver Member

Status Points:
    The LAX-MIA fares are gone, although as pointed out, they may return momentarily. For the 350 voucher, you may want to try looking at STT or SJU to get the best value.

joesmoe likes this.
  9. LAXNRT
    Original Member

LAXNRT Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, will try to price that out.