UA adopting CO fare structure?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Erasmus, Feb 11, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Erasmus
    Original Member

Erasmus Silver Member

Status Points:
    Has anyone else noticed annoying routing restrictions popping up on UA fares of late? For example, most of the (cheaper) SAN/ORD fares are now non-stop only, which never used to be the case. CO, OTOH, frequently employed such restrictions in their fares IME. Definitely a big step backwards, especially since the last non-stop is usually too early for my needs.

2. Xyzzy
    Original Member

Xyzzy Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's interesting, as i"ve noticed that some CO fares seem to have inherited UA language, like f;)ur transfers each direction, etc.

3. Hannaman
    Original Member

Hannaman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Seems this has been going on for a while now.

4. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
  5. I hope he's right. I've seen a LOT of UA (domestic) routing rules that require non-stop travel. Hopefully the big push that UA made to mimic the CO routing rules will continue to reverse trend...

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    They're both right. CO switched to the UA fare classes and structure in terms of their B fares. UA has been reducing routing options for discount fares on routes where they offer non-stop service, similar to how CO used to price them. CO was even more draconian, with different fare buckets for non-stop and connecting service (e.g. W & E were the same fare but one was for connecting and the other for non-stop) which got in the way of things like SDC, too.

CO has been very strong at cost-control and routing rules for the past few years. They've made it VERY hard to get good MR deals unless there is a mistake somewhere. That's not always the case but it is more than not. Of course, the current $700 NYC-TYO fares that allow routing via GUM don't completely suck. :)

mht_flyer likes this.
  7. sithlord
    Original Member

sithlord Silver Member

Status Points:
    Bookable as a UA tix as well?

8. ifly153
    Original Member

ifly153 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm unaware of recent routing restrictions. But from what I understand, United tightened their routing restrictions on cheap fares since about March/April of last year, especially through their hubs. Prior to that, I could easily route something like SFO-LAX-SAN-ORD on L fares, but now the only options are SFO-ORD direct.

9. I don't pay attention to routing restrictions from the standpoint that I tend to buy what is cheaper, balanced with getting me there and and when I want. Also, which airfare is likely to give me a bump opportunity. I have noticed the last month that UA fares are more competitive in International markets. Typically they are either most expensive, but now they are a lot closer in price if they are. There again, it could just be seasonal and they go back to high price leader.

Maybe UA is keeping a few CO folks from Houston :p There should be lots of talent on the street to start a few new airlines as the economy improves.

10. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    The change in CO's B fares to UA's was a big blow I'm still trying to find the right libation combination to get over!

11. No big deal. Why wouldn't you book the non-stop anyway.

12. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Two reasons for me:
    1. Non-stop options from the WAS market usually mean traipsing out to IAD. I would rather single-connect out of DCA (five to ten minutes from both home and office) than deal with IAD (an hour plus with traffic).
    2. I sometimes have to weave together a flight schedule around conference calls. For example, today I had the choice of going non-stop very late in the day or taking a flight part way and then having a long connection to do a couple of calls and then getting the rest of the way home. The connection allowed me to do all of the things I needed and get home three hours earlier than I would have if I had waited until I was done with calls and then taken the non-stop.

13. Phudnik
    Original Member

Phudnik Gold Member

Status Points:
    It works both ways. I noticed the other day that refundable fares from PHL to LAX/SFO on UA, which had been E or Q fares, are now coded as B. This makes me happy.