UA Adding Flights to DL Hubs

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Captain Oveur, Oct 7, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Source

What's the strategy here? Look at the attached article (it's from USA Today, I'm not pimping a blog), speculation on whether UA is doing this out of spite for DL's increased west coast presence.

Looks like the overall winner in all of this: Seattle.

2. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Understand SFO-ATL, surprised they didn't already have it. But LAX-MSP is a joke on a CR7...1500+ miles on a mini tube, no thanks.

ssullivan and flyforawg like this.
  3. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think everyone wishes UA would get over its insane obsession with large RJs operating long flights.

4. radonc1951

radonc1951 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Frankly, they fly Kenjets from the hublet to DFW as well as DEN. So, when they give me an E-170, that's like a big plane where I can bring my rollerboard on the plane. :eek:
    I think that if they upgraded the IFE on these larger RJs as well as provided better F service that they would be perfectly acceptable alternatives to ABs and Boeings. However, Kenjets and their evil spawn have no business flying those routes.

KenInEscazu and bmg42000 like this.
  5. Black Cloud
    Original Member

Black Cloud Gold Member

Status Points:
    If the choice is no service or RJ service I'll take the RJ service choice any day of the week.

(Says the dude waiting to board a delayed CRJ200)

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, it is a spite move. UA did it when VX launched SFO-FLL and they're doing this, too. Such is life some days.

The suggestion about TPAC is an interesting one given the flight times. I don't think they line up very well on the returns to ATL.

7. rggale
    Original Member

rggale Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1 to this part. US put WiFi on all of their larger RJs. That is very attractive and UA should do the same.

8. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    As others have said, the issue is more with the low level of service provided even in the small front cabin. DL Connection has real glass and a better food selection on a short flight than UA Express does on a long flight (I did LAX-SAT earlier this year...in F, and it sucked).

KenInEscazu likes this.
  9. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not necessarily in United's defense, but from about 2006-2011, spending money on upgrading things such as wi-fi in ANY of UA or UAX's jets was on hold to make UAL more attractive for sale. They're catching up now, but only 30% of the mainline fleet, IIRC, will be wi-fi enabled by the end of this calendar year.

They can put up disco balls and strobe lights as far as I'm concerned. You can't replace the comfort, nor the perception of comfort when we're all squished in like a sardine. If United (or any other airline) wants to spend big bucks on advertising with 747s, 777s or 787s as the "big shot" in the commercials, flying mostly regionals won't work in the long run.

KenInEscazu, FlyingFree and Max M like this.
  10. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I object to those turds being referred to as "Ken"jets. ;)

desamo likes this.
  11. FortFun
    Original Member

FortFun Gold Member

Status Points:
    Phudnik and KenInEscazu like this.