UA A320 EWR-SEA stops for fuel in BZN

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by TravelerRob, Jan 18, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yet another reason I will not fly on any UA Airbus plane (especially westbound) that's a transcon. Today's UA499 EWR-SEA (10am departure) stopped in BZN for fuel. The website says "Diverted to Bozeman, MT (BZN) -- Planned fuel stop".

It's winter and the headwinds are always worse but if an A320 can't make it from EWR to SEA then maybe the airline should stop scheduling them for such long routes. The 738 can make it without issue.

-Rob

2. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    What's your Flyertalk handle?

3. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I suggest we just replace everything with 747s. This should solve any fuel diverts :rollseyes:

homeyfour, edcho, ssullivan and 5 others like this.
  4. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Silver Member

Status Points:
    AC routinely flies A319s, A320s and A321s on YYZ-YVR which is a similar distance, without issue. They also fly 320s YUL-YVR (along with the odd A321) and A319s and 320s YOW-YVR. I haven't heard of any need for frequent technical stops (or, indeed, of any stops other than the odd MX).

5. TravelerRob
    Original Member

Status Points:
    For the record YYZ-YVR is 2085 miles while EWR-SEA is 2402 miles. That's almost an hour of flying against a strong headwind.

-Rob

guberif likes this.
  6. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    UA (and AA) B738s have also made tech stops on E-W transcons periodically.

I'm not sure why you believe the A320 is the only narrowbody subject to this problem e.g:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/jetb...all-westbound-transcons-technical-stop-3.html

Even Song;s 757 was reported as having made a tech stop for fuel, although in comparison to other types, that must have been caused by elective limited fuel uplift at departure.

Sectors such as BOS/EWR/JFK-PDX/SEA/SFO are at the operating range limits for both 738 and 320 when there are consistent 120+knot headwinds.

7. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good thing gas is like 2 bucks a gallon right now.

8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bozeman is probably where UA now takes fuel deliveries after the recent lawsuit in Chicago.

colpuck, DeacFlyer1, DCA Rob and 7 others like this.
  9. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    EWR-SFO is regularly done with 319 and 320s. At >2500 miles, it beats EWR-SEA.

10. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    and "right now" there's an Alberta Clipper headed east right along the flight path that was used.

Quotes because I'm posting this the "next" day

DTWBOB

11. TravelerRob
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Ok and an even dumber idea than EWR-SEA in an Airbus if the thing can't make it.

-Rob

12. 2wheels

2wheels Silver Member

Status Points:
    Are you also suggesting that 757s shouldn't be used TATL? They have been known to make fuel stops as well. If UA was losing money by making too many fuel stops, they would reassign planes/reroute.

This thread is way too negative for my liking...

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  13. sfogate
    Original Member

sfogate Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is alot of things that factor into a planned fuel stop. Take off weight, landing weight, enroute weather issues, fuel requirements to diversion landing spots and on and on.

Wandering Aramean and Flyer1976 like this.
  14. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for saving me the time required to look up the correct mileage to refute the earlier post.

15. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm surprised UA hasn't put their 319s and 320s on the Hawaii routes yet :rolleyes:

16. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    No one hates these planned diversions more than the airline.

Next winter, they should have a lot more flexibility with cross fleeting, and likely a few more 737-900s to go around. I suspect that you will see more 737s on the transcons from EWR and BOS (which used to be mostly 757s). 737s in DEN make sense for their better hot & high performance. Also might make more sense for Caribbean travel if they are ETOPS/Overwater equipped and the airbus are not. I suspect the 320s will be popular in Chicago and Houston, as well as shorter flights from LAX/SFO. The 319s have great range and I heard are getting more seats, so they might be another option on the longer flights. There are likely more 757s out of service this winter with the p.s. fleet getting the businessfirst lie flats.

ballardFlyer likes this.
  17. TravelerRob
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Sorry, wasn't trying to upset anyone with this thread. Wow.

I've never liked the Airbus and now UA flies them between two key markets (EWR-SEA as an example) with at minimum 25% less FC seats than the 738 (16 to 12) and the airplane has to make a fuel stop on the way. I'm sure it's not an everyday occurrence but still...

I've been on 738s on EWR-SEA in the dead of winter with a 100-150kt jet right on the nose to give us a 7hr15min scheduled flight plan (yes, 7:15) and the plane made it without issue and without diversion. The flight plan for the A320 that diverted wasn't near 7:15.

-Rob

18. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    There's a lot more that goes into a fuel tech stop than just "can the plane fly the distance". They have to figure weather at destination, whether or not they'll be putting in a holding pattern, etc.

Flyer1976 and Wandering Aramean like this.
  19. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Silver Member

Status Points:
    I also posted YUL-YVR and YOW-YVR which, while less than 2400, are each within 150 miles of the length of EWR-SEA.

Shorter, yes, but not much shorter.

Air Canada flies an E190 YYZ-SEA, despite having a 2200-mile range compared to the quoted 2760-mile range of Air Canada's 319s and 320s.

20. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Quite recently UA had a scheduled fule stop on SFO-BOS IIRC. Plane stopped in DEN. It was because the nearst diversion airoprt they could use for route planning when planning the flight was more than 500 miles away from BOS. That's a lot of extra fuel to plan for, even when the planes are generally quite able to make the flight with the tailwinds in their favor.

This is not gross incompetence by the airlines. It is a system which works spectacularly well 99%+ of the time. And occasionally they have to tweak things.

Scottrick and PhotoJim like this.
  21. lhrsfo
    Original Member

lhrsfo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed entirely that it's better to be in an aircraft that can make it in one hop when it's scheduled to do so. Also, agree that there are very weird circumstances where that's not going to work out, given diversion airports etc.

The substance of the complaint is that UA schedules an aircraft that they know cannot make it X% of the time in the season for which it's scheduled. If that X is 1% of the time, it's no biggie. If it's 5% of the time, I'm starting to feel that it's inappropriate to have scheduled it.

Having said that, as I'm generally stuck in E+, I'd far rather be on an Airbus than a 737 with its rock solid seats and distracting screens 12" from my eyes, which can't be properly turned off.

22. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, the button labeled "off" is quite confusing. :rolleyes:

unavaca and Flyer1976 like this.
  23. lhrsfo
    Original Member

lhrsfo Silver Member

Status Points:
    If the button called "off" worked it would not be confusing at all. However, both times I've endured those planes, the tv came alive every time they decided to show advertisements for UA. So, it didn't work. Next time I'll bring some Scotch tape, tear a picture of Smisek out of it and tape it over the screen.....

goalie, Flyer1976 and TravelerRob like this.
  24. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does it actually say "off"? I think you have to press the "minus" button to dim the screen. Several people couldn't figure that out and asked me for help. Other people just don't care, and it creates a cabin full of flickering screens, which is annoying to me on overnight flights.

25. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Except there is no actual "off" button.

emwitty likes this.