UA *A award drama

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by olmangsr, Oct 23, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. olmangsr

olmangsr Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hello All,
    just wanted to share a little experience I had a couple of days ago.booked an award ticket last week on united miles from JFK to BKK(via: GVA on Swiss ->FRA on Lufthansa ->BKK on Thai).received confirmation email followed by the "ticketed email".called UA to get my PNRs.i was able to assign my seats to all the segments but the LH one.and here is where the fun begun....
    UA said its all confirmed and ticketed so did LX,TG.LH for some reason couldn't find me on the flight plus their system said that the eticket isn't valid.first I was told to wait a couple of days but nothing happened,called back and they said probably UA messed it up and didn't send them anything.yesterday I had a "conference" call with UA&LH and had the GVA-FRA segment reissued and got a second eticket number assigned to my trip.
    I love Switzerland but didn't want to get stranded there because of a united partner award ticketing mistake!
    Just wanted to get a little heads up to all and please check with all the airlines your flying on UA miles even if it says confirmed on their page...

8MiHi, edekba and Travelsavant like this.
  2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    wasnt there another thread where someone was stranded because UA never forwarded the information to the other carriers?

I just booked my first award ticket; but ever since I read that post and now yours I always try to get the PNR and get my seats preassigned ... not because I truly care where I sit, but to make sure they have me in their system.

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Having a PNR is useful but making sure they see the ticket number is more important. A PNR can exist without a ticket issued as it can simply be a reservation. The converse is not true. A quick, "do you also see a valid eTicket number on the reservation?" while getting the seat assignment query taken care of can save a lot of trouble.

LETTERBOY, desamo, 8MiHi and 3 others like this.
  4. oziman

oziman Active Member

Status Points:
    My experience is that UA has real problems with ticketing awards even on their own metal. They give you the impression that everything is fine but often you will not see the Ticketed and Confirmed message and your ticket ends up in some bizarre queue with you on pins and needles hoping it gets sorted out before your flight comes. I know Gary wrote about this at length, it's something to be careful with when booking UA.

5. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sometimes the EDIFACT link between UA and LH goes sluggish or fails entirely, which that delays/prevent the timely transmission of e-ticket information. I have noticed the same issue with UA bookings involving TK segments.

edekba and 8MiHi like this.
  6. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have followed the policy of never allowing the airline to get away with not assigning a seat. This has saved much grief, especially for code-share tickets. I did not know to look for the valid e-ticket. Thanks for the education.

LETTERBOY and edekba like this.
  7. olmangsr

olmangsr Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah getting the seat assigned is the easiest way.LH sometimes won't let you over the phone saying that biz seat on EU flights are only assigned at check in.i managed to to it online after getting my eticket(and of course pnr) sorted out.

8MiHi and LETTERBOY like this.
  8. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    UA has been notoriously bad about ticketing award travel with other *A carriers after making a reservation. It's happened to me try to check in with a *A carrier and there was no ticket. In my case, I was lucky because the reservation had not just been dropped after UA failed to ticket it, as others have reported, so the *A carrier was able to issue me a ticket on the spot for a $100 fee, which UA reimbursed me without a fuss. Just because you have a reservation does not mean that you have a ticket, which what you'll need to travel. That a reservation or PNR has been ticketed is what you always need to make sure of...

LETTERBOY likes this.
  9. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can see in an LX reservation whether or not it's ticketed. Worth bothering with.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  10. Tad's Broiled Steaks

Tad's Broiled Steaks Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sounds nice, except (for example) United's seat map tomfoolery this year proves that doesn't always help. I was CPU'd into J class on the NRT-HKG leg, but had a floating Y class seat. Another time, I was in Y+, but the seat map showed no available seats; a call to the 1K line went nowhere, just like those IAH-AKL flights...but we'll see on both accounts.

8MiHi likes this.
  11. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've heard of a number of cases where STAR partners have not be advised of award tickets being issued for segments booked on their metal. A friend had this problem with an AE award ticket for segments on TK which was only discovered when he tried to select seats through TK. I had a similar problem with LH a few years ago on an AE award, but fortunately could show my e-ticket and ticket number and LH was able to find my segments. So I don't think this is isolated to UA/MP issue but a major flaw in the STAR system.

12. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I often had this problem with awards booked on Virgin Atlantic. Whenever I booked, I knew I had to get the Virgin confirmation code from CO, then call Virgin to get seats. Twice I had to knock heads to get a Virgin confirmation. The Virgin agent indicated that I would have had to fly standby if I had not been so persistent. Virgin no longer works with UA, so that issue is past.

LETTERBOY likes this.