UA 942/943 ORD/CDG upgauged to a 777 later this year

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Pat+, Mar 23, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Pat+
    Original Member

Pat+ Silver Member

Status Points:
    There's been some speculation about United "abandoning" the Paris market (with IAD/CDG soon to be operated on 757s, the deletion of SFO/CDG, the closure of the Arrivals and IFL lounges in Paris.)
    I'm happy to report that ORD/CDG is being upgauged to a 777 sometime later this year--I'm not sure of the exact dates but the schedule changes are live and you can see the 777 on United.com for December flights. The new seat map shows up, hinting at the fact that UA does hope to have 777s upgraded by the end of the year...

2. lhrsfo
    Original Member

lhrsfo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wish that UA would bring back SFO-CDG. We desperately need more UA TATL options out of SFO. If SkyTeam can do it, why can't UA/*A?

3. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    Because CDG is a SkyTeam hub and not a *A one. My original answer was a little flippant. My guess is that CDG is a stronger hub for SkyTeam than SFO is for *A, mostly because of the main metropolitan areas served by SFO, most have other connections to Europe (LAX has a bunch of its own, SEA has a bunch, etc, etc) where it's easier to connect than the US (due to customs and immigration policies for transit passengers).

4. lhrsfo
    Original Member

lhrsfo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Too true about connections being difficult in the US, but my observation really is as follows:
    *A hubs and focus cities are LAX, SFO and SEA.
    SkyTeam hubs are LAX, AMS and CDG.
    SkyTeam has at least one daily flight from AMS and from CDG to each of LAX, SFO and SEA, whereas *A has none. I know that UA's TATL offering is weak compared to that of Delta, but the discrepancy is marked. Still, at least UA is adding capacity to CDG - even if it's from ORD, which is not an attractive option if heading to the West Coast.

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    UA has quite a few more flights to Europe from the west coast than DL does; anything is more than zero, right? *A has quite a few more TATL flights between the US and Europe than SkyTeam does.

If your destination is AMS or CDG then SkyTeam is obviously going to be a better option given the flow of passengers and the fact that those are their main hubs. If you're going anywhere else in Europe or not starting in a major city on the west coast then *A will probably be as good or better than SkyTeam.

6. colpuck
    Original Member

colpuck Gold Member

Status Points:
    DL runs PDX-AMS, SEA-AMS,
    AF runs, LAX/SFO/SEA-CDG
    KL runs LAX/SFO-AMS

7. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am not sure your question makes any sense. AMS/CDG flights to LAX, SFO and SEA are not operated by Delta, but rather by the SkyTeam member airlines that have their hubs at AMS and CDG.

Star Alliance follows the same model as is evidenced by LH flying from FRA to LAX, SFO and SEA as well as MUC to SFO and LAX (seasonal) and LX flights from ZRH to both SFO and LAX.

How many flights does SkyTeam have to LAX or SFO from FRA, MUC or ZRH?

8. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't forget for *A TATL, UA has SFO/LAX-LHR, NZ has LAX-LHR

9. ande777emt
    Original Member

ande777emt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Correct and the same can be said of FRA, MUC, and ZRH; Skyteam has virtually no offerings to these three compared to *A and the best way to get there is via *A.

Part of IAD-CDG is AF significantly increasing capacity with 388 and 77W on the route.

PDX-AMS is only maintained because the route is heavily subsidized by the city of PDX. If no public subsidy, then the route would not exist.

10. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would also count DL's SLC-CDG...

I believe the subsidy has expired, and DL decided to continue both NRT and AMS flights... Unless I am actually misreading the article, considering I pulled an all nighter in MIA last night :eek:

http://www.oregonlive.com/business/index.ssf/2010/06/ports_gamble_on_delta_pays_off.html

Flyer1976 likes this.
  11. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    And Turkish has added 4 weekly flights from LAX to IST on their 777-300s.

12. lhrsfo
    Original Member

lhrsfo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Quite. So it seems that SkyTeam manage to fly from a hub (AMS or CDG) to a non-hub (SFO or SEA), whereas *A can only fly hub to hub TATL to/from the West Coast.

13. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    *A flies TATL hub to non-hub, SEA-FRA.

14. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or DFW-FRA, FRA-MCO, IAH-CDG, etc.

The point is, *A carriers have looked at west coast -> Europe flights and decided that it is better/cost effective to connect people through a U.S. hub or a European one.

DL on the other hand takes darts and a map to decide where they'll fly next.

15. grenouille

grenouille Active Member

Status Points:
    I am quite puzzled, since I have been told a few weeks ago that CDG-IAD would NOT have the new 777 config. Maybe the CDG-ORD route will get the old 777 configuration made available with the CO metal new CDG-IAD flights.

16. Renard
    Original Member

Renard Silver Member

Status Points:
    All I can say is that this is great news! (well once the get the refurbished on running that route) I hope this represents a net + systemwide in the number of UA seats and not a shift.

17. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, but that's basically saying "darn you *A for having SFO as a hub." SEA isn't really a *A hub, though UA does have a really good presence there.

But at some point you run out of major cities with major international airports on the west coast. If all of them happen to be *A hubs or quasi-hubs, I don't see how that can be a bad thing.

18. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    Keep in mind that SFO is really an Asian hub for United with a few European destinations. If you look at ORD or IAD for UA, you'll see hub to non-hub routes like AMS, BRU, CDG, DME, MAD and FCO. And vice-versa, if you look at LH, they also have quite a few hub to non-hubs like SEA, DFW, DTW, ATL, MIA, MCO and BOS.

19. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would definitely not call SEA a *A hub...and not really sure how you can say UA has a good presence there--they fly to their hubs plus PDX and NRT, and that's it.

20. ande777emt
    Original Member

ande777emt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thinking about the upgaguing of ORD-CDG, Skyteam has cut capacity on the route. What used to be 2x daily with a 747 and A340 was as low as 4-5x weekly with a 332 this winter.

21. colpuck
    Original Member

colpuck Gold Member

Status Points:
    That had GEG but I think they have surrendered that route.