UA 777 3-class a regular on SFO-LAX route starting in November

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Infinite1K, Sep 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    Looks like starting in November, a 777 3-class configuration is on the schedule flying between SFO and LAX.

drdubs, Golfingboy, unavaca and 3 others like this.
  2. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    What time of day? Must be shuttling the plane to reposition it for a transPac in SFO. IIRC the PVG flight changes from a 744 to a 777 later in the fall.

3. unityofsaints

unityofsaints Active Member

Status Points:
    Surely this must be one of the shortest 3-class flights around? Maybe there's an Asian tag-on that's shorter, I doubt it though.

4. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Doesn't take longer to load and unload passengers then the actual flight is in the air? :confused:

Flyer1976 likes this.
  5. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Definitely, I'd estimate a total of 1:30hours BUT realistically 2:00 on the ground in LAX to deplane, unload, clear customs/agriculture checks, enplane, load, and push to LAX.

Now if this flight had to cancel for mechanical reasons, that'd jack up the whole SFO/LAX market that day...

Golfingboy and EX-LAX like this.
  6. EX-LAX

EX-LAX Silver Member

Status Points:
    Actually back in the early 70's PSA used to fly an L1011 btw LAX & SFO, and yep it took longer to load & unload than the flight took. It lasted only a few months before the scrapped this hair brained idea. I was flying as a non-rev back then and the 20 min clearing of standby's took between 30 and 45 mins. It was pretty easy to get on due to the number of seats, except on Fri and Sun evenings, when it was packed.

As an added side note---UAL used to fly their Shuttle between these same cities and had a customer service counter at terminal #8 @ LAX and another in SFO just to handle canceled flights dedicated ONLY to LAX-SFO flights. UA didn't want to give up their slots so they scheduled flights about every 45 to 60 mins, up & back, and canceled every other flight, every day, knowing in advance that they were going to do this, EVERY DAY. Crews weren't even scheduled to fly every other flight but passengers were booked on the no-fly planes and were re-accommodated when they arrived at the T-8 gates.
    No 500 minimum miles back then either, on the Shuttle---
    The Shuttle idea flamed out so another brilliant thought called TED took its place a few years later, until it also faded --- Flight #317 from SFO to LAX @ 8:26 a.m. must be a continuing international 777, and as was mentioned previously, is a repositioning situation for that widebody aircraft.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  7. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    EX-LAX, what did you do for the airlines once upon a time?

EX-LAX likes this.
  8. EX-LAX

EX-LAX Silver Member

Status Points:
    My wife worked for Continental, for many years, which was based @ LAX. She was a pension manager and she quit when Lorenzo (Texas Air) took them over and we declined on being transferred to Houston. My wife stayed in the pension manager business in L.A. until she was diagnosed with Alzheimer's at age 53. My wife passed away 3 years ago after 6 years in a nursing home and I have since remarried and am raising a new wife and a 14 year old boy from Thailand.

Gotta go --- Pre-algebra homework just walk in the door, and I don't remember how to do it!
    Not quite 100% true, his tutor is coming over at 6 p.m.
    So that is the main reason that my wings are clipped going forward with this 1K game. Tutor is $40.00 per hour x 1 1/2 hours X 5 days! This kid eats like a horse, also!

Thanks for asking.

9. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have a lot more respect for you now, thanks for sharing and I personally know someone with Alzheimer's at the age of 38 (too young). These Thailand kids sure do eat a lot and have fun with Pre-Algebra man.

EX-LAX likes this.
  10. EX-LAX

EX-LAX Silver Member

Status Points:
    The above mentioned history of my flying experience is also the primary reason that I have zero tolerance or patience for anyone whining about a g/f going off on them for a stupid 30 minute airplane ride alone in coach!

Asking for help on this forum is one thing, but expecting sympathy and back-up advice as how to pen a complaint letter is childish nonsense that frankly pi$$es me off!!!

ZERO tolerance & patience, which I guess is MY problem, as others seem to think that gaming the system for a voucher is the cool thing to do, even if it entails leaving ones pride and self esteem at Mr. Chicken on the way out of town.

As I mentioned, I've been married twice now and neither one of these lovely women would have gone off on me or called me rude because they didn't get a stupid upgrade. They would have been happy that we could spend what little time we have together on this earth flying all over the world, which we happily did, and are still doing. Only thing different is we now have a 14 year old kid kickin' back in first class who only complaint before he came to America was that bending over in a rice field every day for 10 hours a day hurt his back. If this guy doesn't get his upgrade, guess what he says? Nothing!!!

11. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is what makes it fun ;)

8:26am flight with 13 more flights afterwards, think about how many bump vouchers I can earn if I end up in that situation!

FriendlySkies and Flyer1976 like this.
  12. Agreed! This is the only thing that makes sense...

13. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

FriendlySkies Gold Member

Status Points:
    fwiw, I see it scheduled from 10/31 - 1/2

14. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is a major surprise. Does it fly LAX-SFO as well?

15. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nope, just SFO-LAX... Obviously, a positioning flight for PVG/NRT/LHR... Nevertheless, it is going to be a fun route to fly the 777 on :D

chitownflyer likes this.
  16. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Neither LAX nor SFO are slot controlled, so 'overscheduling' the route could not have had anything to do with preserving slots.

Cancellations were frequent to be sure, when SFO would go under flow control (all the time given the fog and the tight spacing between runways) these flights were the first to go, lots of seats and frequency of flights, operationally UA thought it made sense.

And there certainly were days however infrequent that this did not happen :)

17. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    This flight is SFO-LAX, not the other way around. It's bringing an aircraft down to LAX that spends the night in San Francisco. And it's daily.

SFO 8:26am - 9:53am LAX (arrival varies by a couple of minutes on different days of the week)

I have to think that this cannot be the aircraft flying LAX-PVG... since (1) that flight doesn't leave LAX until after 1pm and (2) the PVG flight is only 6x weekly but the 777 coming down to LAX is daily.

So I'd guess it's the aircraft for LAX-NRT, an 11:37am departure giving the aircraft 104 minutes on the ground.

Reminds me of when UA used to run a 747 on the route on Saturdays years ago. I can sure bet that Saturday mornings this flight will be a gimme for an upgrade, about the only ex-SFO flight that ever is :D

18. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ah......back in the day positioning flights were fun... When UA still had SNA-LAX on their schedule they had a 320 flying the route for a while.

I'll really age myself by telling you that I used to fly an AA DC10 SAN-LAX. For $8 (pre-deregulation fare)

19. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    WELL, positioning flights, UA used to fly SFO-OAK...

20. MileCardInsider

MileCardInsider Active Member

Status Points:
    So how do they handle the 3 class aspect of these? Let's say you buy a typical first class fare RT SFO-LAX. Do you get put into first, or biz? Not that it matters on a 1 hr flight....but would get a kick out of 'how would you like to support this upgrade...'

21. EyeOnTheSkies

EyeOnTheSkies Silver Member

Status Points:
    If only it left a little earlier. CO offers a lie flat BF caving on the 1010 lax to ewr. For once you could actually go lie flat the whole way SFO to NYC with UDUs.

22. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't you think CO sells out the 16 seats? And mileage upgraders get whatever might be left?

FriendlySkies likes this.
  23. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Prior to Shuttle, United offered 30 minute service on the SFO-LAX route, with a mix of aircraft.

I don't think they ever proactively planned to not operate every other flight - but with SFO weather and ATC delays, cancelations were inevitable and I'm sure they looked at booked loads to figure out how many seats were really needed on a daily basis. And if there were any mechanical or crew problems, those flights could take the hit.

When Shuttle arrived the nice clockface schedule went by the wayside but they still seemed to schedule something like 30 flights per day, close to 2 per hour.

24. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    Looking at the seatmaps for the first flight (10/31), it looks like most everyone got their upgrades, and E+ is wide open.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Should be an interesting flight. And according to FlightAware, this plane came in from KIX this morning (10/30) and spent all day at SFO before it leaves for LAX tomorrow morning and then onto NRT. It returns from NRT to SEA the following day.

gleff, Flyer1976 and FriendlySkies like this.