UA 686 6/27

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by viguera, Jun 27, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wouldn't be surprised if this makes the news at some point tomorrow, considering the mess.

The flight was originally scheduled to leave ORD bound for LGA at 3pm CDT, but was delayed until 6:45pm. Then the weather got nasty for real, and it ended up diverting to BDL arriving around 10pm EDT.

Then it sat there for over 2 hours -- reportedly on the tarmac according to tweets from people onboard -- with no food onboard and reportedly the crew handing out crackers or something.

Assuming their misfortune is over, they should be landing in LGA shortly.

2. sfogate
    Original Member

sfogate Gold Member

Status Points:
    Every aircraft contains food and water for long tarmac delays. It isn't much but it is food. Off the top of my head I can not remember what the food is but crackersgranola bars or something similar would not surprise me. Think long shelf life.

3. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    My LGA-IAH was originating in ORD and we noticed an hour delay on the inbound, then two hours, then a return to gate, then a delay again, then the weather hit. All in all, our LGA-IAH took a 7 hour delay before they cancelled the ORD-LGA. Luckily I had protected myself and some coworkers on EWR-IAH and we made our way over to EWR only to find that flight delayed by two hours...

Logged on to see our original LGA-IAH reinstated using different equipment and still getting in later than our new EWR-IAH.

A real mess today.

viguera, genemk2, HeathrowGuy and 2 others like this.
  4. bmg42000
    Original Member

bmg42000 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Was black cloud on your flight?

Hartmann and KenInEscazu like this.
  5. Black Cloud
    Original Member

Black Cloud Gold Member

Status Points:
    No but I was in the area.
    Transcendental properties of bad luck ism (or something like that).

6. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    The final reason for the delay per the united.com website: weather.

The original issue, a mechanical one, and then a crew one, lead to a weather delay. They waited nearly three hours to do a plane swap and when the planes were finally swapped a giant storm was sitting on top of ORD.

viguera likes this.
  7. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've seen that on Horizon (Alaska) flights on the Q400s, they have a big box of Biscoffs hidden away.

8. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    My experience with this a few times is they have granola bars - the same ones that used to be served in the United Clubs.