UA - 4 hr layover at CDG

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by bonnerbl, Jun 21, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. bonnerbl
    Original Member

bonnerbl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm arriving at CDG 09:25 but not catching the TGV till 13:52. Having tried to negotiate the gerbil ramps before I would appreciate tips on how to get thru customs and then to a *A lounge. Since I will only have carry-on can I do an "in transit", stay within the secure area, and make it to a lounge? Are there showers? Ideas on how to kill 4 hours at CDG?

2. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    here's a link to a wiki that we assembled with *A lounge info for CDG. No showers to the best of my knowledge

http://milepoint.com/forums/wiki/star-alliance-lounge-guide-france/

3. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
  4. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    from my understanding, a UA pax can not use the *A lounges. they are relegated to the RCC if I'm not mistaken. Not sure which carrier OP is on

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is a moot point on the showers as the OP will not have access to the lounge as an arriving passenger. Lounge access would only be granted if they were *G and departing on a *A flight.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  6. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Precisely...Unless the OP is a RCC/PC Member in which case the OP would be allowed access to the UA RCC only on arrival.

7. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    What does "No UA Passengers" in the *A lounge mean? UA elite, or anyone on a UA flight? Moot point now as I only brought my UA card (not my CO card, which maybe treated the same as UA?), but for future reference.

8. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    There have been multiple confirmed reports (one being a good friend of mine last month) that UA pax (1k, 1p first & business) are now being allowed into the *A lounge at CDG. Some have been asked for both their UA mp card and their bp and others have simply shown their bp's. The lounge is very nice with good vittles, showers (in the back left as you enter the lounge), wifi, and (if you're like me ;)) an outside smoking patio but N.B., UA flight departures are not announced so you are on your own to watch the time.

gobluetwo likes this.
  9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Much like SQ likes to only permit their own passengers in their AKL lounge, the *A lounge in CDG has a habit of pushing passengers traveling on UA to the UA lounge to keep crowding down.

gobluetwo likes this.
  10. bonnerbl
    Original Member

bonnerbl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks all for the info. Now how does an arriving international (UA) pax get thru passport control and to the lounge wihout exiting?

11. colpuck
    Original Member

colpuck Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can always buy a walk-up refundable to somewhere and use the lounge.

12. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    Again, without having a boarding pass for a departing flight, you'll have a hard time getting into the *A lounge.

When I was there, they asked for my PClub card and my boarding pass.

13. bonnerbl
    Original Member

bonnerbl Gold Member

Status Points:
    ...shucks if it was only an A380 I could shower on board :) (dream along with me)

14. WilCo
    Original Member

WilCo Silver Member

Status Points:
    4 hours in CDG --- you will likely have time to make it to your next flight. But I'd go straight there just in case! (Sarcasm for the most part, but I avoid CDG like the plague).

15. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was just at CDG a few weeks ago transferring from TG to LH and unless I'm remembering completely wrong the RCC is in the same area as duty free which is before you would have to clear passport control to make a non-Schengen to Schengen transfer so you could just walk that way and head on up. If you're a RCC member I can't think of any reason you couldn't use it, though as others have said there don't appear to be showers.

Your other (and potentially better) option would be a day room. I think the Hilton and Novotel both do day rooms for around $100 US and that would give you a full shower plus the opportunity to maybe hit the gym or grab a nap too.

I think CDG gets most of its reputation for the horror that is the terminal 2 set-up which makes sense since that's how most people will experience it. T1 is relatively painless, at least in my experience.

16. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:

Except he doesn't have an onward flight and the RCC doesn't have showers. And is it just me or does the RCC smell funny.

17. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Right.

My point was that there shouldn't be anything stopping him from getting off his flight, walking over toward duty free, and hitting the RCC if he's an RCC member. Unless I'm forgetting something (always possible) there is no boarding pass or passport check between the point where you come into the hamster wheel and the elevators to the RCC.

You're right that there is no shower at the RCC. That's why I suggested a day room. If I was coming into CDG and catching the train four hours later, I'd be likely to spring for a day room, grab a good shower, and have a nap. But, if just looking for somewhere to plug a device in and surf the web for a couple of hours in relative comfort, the RCC would do in a pinch.

And I don't really remember the smell at the RCC. The last time I was through CDG, I was connecting to LH so I just poked my head in and then cleared passport control and hit the SEN lounge which is in the Schengen area...it isn't really all that nice, but was fine for an hour or so.

18. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    We did the Novotel and it was in the perfect spot (sits pretty much on airport property) and was fairly cheap ($65).

The RCC wasn't worth the time (neither was the SEN lounge, basically a glorified dungeon).

bonnerbl likes this.
  19. Pat+
    Original Member

Pat+ Silver Member

Status Points:
    Misplaced Texan is correct, you can use the RCC upon arrival, and they will let you in as a member even if you do not have a BP. There are no showers anymore, though; Arrivals is long gone.

The caveat here is that by the time you leave the RCC, who knows where your bag will be...