UA 1K gets EUA on CO 5 days out

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by craz, Apr 3, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. craz
    Original Member

craz Silver Member

Status Points:
    (looked but didnt find a thread on this already)

well it seems CO is uping 1Ks at the 5 day window, OK both flights are wide open in both cabins IAH-RNO-IAH (immediate turn) yet the slightly longer PHL-IAH-PHL which is < 1/2 full in FC will probably be played out for 10s of Dollars. 1st time on Domestic CO in over a year

so now with Y almost completely empty Im wondering if I wouldnt be better off with 3 seats across to sleep on rather then a FC seat, I will decide at the gate just in case theres a large group that didnt chose seats

so it seems if you want EUA to work in your favor simply fly to a place that no one else wants to

2. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    LOL, sometimes true, or just fly off times.

Congrats on your 5-Day EUA. They don't happen often, but they do happen. :)

3. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I got an EUA on SAN-EWR 3 days out [not 5], so it is safe to say EUA does happen on transcons :p

4. Ygor
    Original Member

Ygor Gold Member

Status Points:
    PHL - IAH is VERY elite heavy, and weekday flights are always packed up front, with EUA lists of 30+ people.
    Weekends they are easy EUAs for Plats/1k. I am 2/4 EUA for PHL IAH this year, flying on fridays and thursdays.

Weekends will see FC with empty seats sometimes, so if you lose you EUA, it is most likely because of Plats/1Ks on higher fares. I have been #19 on the EUA list on this route as a plat. Can't blame that on TODs.

5. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    'Elite Upgrade Automation'

Rlpro likes this.
  6. radonc1951

radonc1951 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess this isn't the case with CLE-PHL. However I can tell you that CO charges an arm and a leg for a "first class" seat on a kenjet (12A) offering only non-refundable B fares on a week day trip. I paid almost $900 RT for this 1 hour flight :eek: and when I chose my seat, I was the only passenger on the return flight!!

7. sunseeker
    Original Member

sunseeker Silver Member

Status Points:
    As a 1K traveling on CO, do I need to do the status match, or will I be eligible for the upgrade using my MP# and 1K status only?

8. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    You are eligible for the upgrade based on your 1K status, but you will be behind all Platinums... If you do a status match, you will be thrown into the Platinum mix...

sunseeker likes this.
  9. sunseeker
    Original Member

sunseeker Silver Member

Status Points:
    If I do the status match, would I have to use a CO FF# and credit to CO to be in the Plat mix?

10. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, 1Ks are supposed to have flown 100000 miles, while Plats had only to do 75000 or something.

sunseeker: yes.

sunseeker likes this.
  11. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's what the match was for. Me, I was at 160 on UA but needed the match to Plat
    to compete in the upgrade scrum ...

12. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did the match from 1k to Plat but left my 1k number on a 4 segment CO trip I just completed and was upgraded by EUA on all 4 segments. Two segments were about 5 days out (didn't notice exactly), with the other two about 2 days and 1 day out.