UA 1K, considering AA status as well.

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by cordray2643, Jul 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. cordray2643
    Original Member

cordray2643 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am hoping that I can get some input from some of you.

I am currently UA 1K and WN CP/A-List Preferred. This year, I am already at 76 flights on UA and have already renewed A-List Preferred and Companion Pass on Southwest (these have always been my main airlines). I am based in Chicago and take anywhere between 5-10 flights each week. I should renew my 1K status with UA by then end of August.

I am thinking of throwing business to AA to get a 3rd status. I am almost strictly domestic (some Canada) and will be able to send 30-35 segments to AA totaling about 25K miles. Is it worth it for me to do this rather than do overage with UA or WN? Anyone else have status on both and can give me any input?

Thanks for your help!

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  2. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am not sure that AA Gold is worth giving up the benefits of flying an airline you have 1k with. If you were going to get AA plat it might start to. Giving up a lot of bonus miles being aa gold (25%) vs ua1k (100%)

sobore, JohnDeere19 and cordray2643 like this.
  3. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Could always do a PLT challenge and asked to get status matched to gold while you go for it if you think you can accomplish it.

hulagrrl210 and cordray2643 like this.
  4. demkr
    Original Member

demkr Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not worth it especially if UA does an Elite Choice for those over 100K Miles

cordray2643 likes this.
  5. cordray2643
    Original Member

Status Points:
    What is typically the plat challenges?

6. cordray2643
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Elite Choice is usuall 2 systemwide upgrades at 150 segments and with mostly domestic flights, I rarely have use for the Systemwides.

7. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I think this question would be easier to give feedback to if we knew what you wanted to get out of AA status. Seems you fly enough on UA and WN as it is, and are picking up AA just for fun. I'd be hard pressed to see any real benefit of getting status just to have it. I'd rather enjoy the benefits I had on UA/WN as it is.

So what do you want to get out of flying with AA? Considering a switch?

cordray2643 likes this.
  8. cordray2643
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I am not planning on switching from UA/WN. I fly to alot of regional airports and AA is a better option for me occassionally and I would like to have the option. But if AA Gold is not much better than no status, then it may not be worth it. I have plenty of miles through UA/WN and not looking to at bonuses, rather benefits while traveling.

9. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    The GLD benefits are decent, not stellar. Depends on what is most important to you for airport experience. Priority boarding, exit row seats, and business class check in can be nice. If you're looking at regional airports you're probably on American Eagle. Priority boarding is nice for overhead space, but if you typically have a larger carry on you're going to have to gate check it anyway. On the regional jets the exit rows are only marginally better, if not the same/worse, than any other seat in the cabin. It might help you select one of the forward single aisle seats though. AE does have some planes with a first class cabin, and upgrades are easier than on mainline in my experience. As a GLD you'd earn stickers and could upgrade for free after some time, but certainly no UDU like on UA. You'd have to fly a lot of regional jet flights to earn the free stickers or pay cash......

sobore, Tenmoc and cordray2643 like this.
  10. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree with David's reply. AA Gold is better than AA WhoAreYou? You will always be group 1, which helps get overhead space. You earn stickers towards upgrades. You can sometimes use them depending on what routes you're flying, even as a gold. It opens up exit row I believe. And of course all miles count toward AA lifetime as of now. So you can use CCs to help you make it to 1mm.

cordray2643 likes this.