U.S. travel abroad declined in 2011

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by uggboy, Jul 22, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    || U.S. travel abroad declined in 2011 ||

Makes for some eye-opening reading!:confused:

jwsky and rwoman like this.
  2. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wonder if the relative drop in the Euro (less so, but slightly with the Pound) will help boost 2012 numbers...

:)

uggboy and jwsky like this.
  3. jwsky
    Original Member

jwsky Silver Member

Status Points:
    Less people went abroad, but spent more money doing it. Did i get that right?
    I think it is the "one percenters". Their wealth has improved lately.
    Everyone else is too broke to go or just scared to leave.

uggboy likes this.
  4. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Of course the a drop in the Euro helps vs. the US dollar, also on our watch should be the economy in the US on which the feel good factor depends ie. jobless numbers, inflation, election later in the year plus external events incl. the fiscal crisis in many EU countries incl. Spain, Greece, Ireland and Portugal plus lately Cyprus, last but not least the Olympics in London should help to spur tourism from the US to Europe at least. One important factor could also a certain fatigue with traditional holiday destinations as people fragment further and this includes how and where they spend their valuable time on travel. One thing is for sure IMHO, the desire to travel, explore and discover something meaningful will never go out of style and this includes fluctuations from one country to the other.:)

jwsky likes this.
  5. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed you are right, the input / higher fares, hotel costs, inflation / to go abroad has grown, while the output / the number of people who went abroad has fallen.

I'm pretty sure however that decidedly more than only " one percenters " do travel, maybe they do not so much travel abroad right now, the US is nevertheless a big country and saw domestic travel growth in certain markets.

Let's only hope that people will never too scared or too broke to break free and travel / discover the world around them, without travel the world would be a sad place indeed.

Safe and happy travels, Always!:)

jwsky likes this.