U.S.O. Miles

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by kansaskeith, Nov 30, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    The timing of the mileage post by AA was probably coincidental, but I did find it interesting.

On Nov. 8 I made a $1,000 contribution to the U.S.O. during Veterans Day week, to (1) support the troops, (2) take "AAdvantage" of AA's special offer that week of 15 miles (rather than the usual 10) per dollar donated, and (3) lock in a charitable deduction of $625 -- $1,000 less $375 for the stated value of the miles -- on my 2011 income taxes.

Even though the U.S.O. said allow up to 8 weeks for the miles, I knew from previous years they didn't usually take that long. I thought at the time (even though I am already past 2 million AA miles lifetime for vested PLT and nowhere close to 3 million for more SWUs) that this would be a good way for someone trying to get miles before the "lifetime" changes Dec. 1. to get some.

But, as November drew to a close, they didn't appear, didn't appear, and I began to think, "ya know, they're gonna wait til December to post those, those tricky dudes."

Alas, I got to my computer this morning, Nov. 30, went on to aa.com, and the 15,000 miles had posted overnight. I hope anybody who needed theirs in November found a similar result.

rwoman likes this.