Typical YQ Surcharges for BA Awards?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Explore, Aug 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Explore
    Original Member

Explore Silver Member

Status Points:
    I assume there's no easy way to "trick" your way out of award fees, but the YQ fuel surcharge apparently applies only to BA trips. By originating AMS or DUB I can avoid the infamous U.K. APD, but how much is YQ likely to be on say a DUB-SFO BA first class award ticket, one way, using AAdvantage miles?

Thanks.....

2. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I'd expect YQ of US$231 (based on current exchange rates).

3. Explore
    Original Member

Explore Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. It helps to be traveling one way. Sounds not very different than the U.K. APD in premium class.

4. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Well of course originating in the UK you'd pay that too. :D

5. beachfan

beachfan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi G!

I'm not sure if this exactly applies to BA awards booked on AA miles, but I think so. The following is based on BA awards using BA miles.

The exchange rate only comes into play if you pay in pounds. If you pay on their US website, it will be about $300. I confirmed that YQ for LAX/LHR RT in F is really close to $600. If you compare their YQ in pounds to the YQ in dollars on that routing, you get an exchange rate of 2.07.

Obviously, they are gouging US customers vs. UK Customers. Add to this that West Coast US award inventory is loaded later than LHR-Asia or LHR-Africa or LHR- Maldives, which means you get snookered out of premium destinations, and it's quite the program bias against US passengers. (I lost out on premium LAX-MLE travel because the LAX-LHR got loaded a month after the Gatwick flight to MLE in business class was available).

From my FT post:

"I'm stumped as to how the taxes, fees, and fuel surcharge amount to
    3200 dollars from LAX to JNB with a stopover in LHR [edited to add "two people in F RT,layover on the return:].
    I know about YQ and APD, but I can't get that high.

The YQ per person on this route is right at 1200 dollars for one. That sounded wrong so I asked about just LAX/LHR round trip. The YQ is about 592 dollars plus a little more (two YQ charges), making it about 600 dollars.

In pounds, YQ is one hundred forty five pounds each segment. How does 290pounds become 600 dollars?"

I'd love to see someone poke a hole in my analysis.

JDiver likes this.
  6. JDiver
    Original Member

JDiver Silver Member

Status Points:
    2.07:1 American Dollars to Pounds Sterling exchange rate for a nasty YQ on top of which the credit card company often wants 3% merely because the company is "British" is genuinely outrageous.

7. beachfan

beachfan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thankfully, Amex didn't charge forex on it, I probably would have cried to pay an additional $100.

I forgot that there was a risk of forex, otherwise I would have used another card.

Came to $3172 exactly (taxes and fees on two free first class tickets on BA).