two weeks in South East Asia

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by man on the move., Apr 21, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. man on the move.

man on the move. Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have 2 weeks in September / October, with flights in and out of SIN.

Any great ideas on how to spend it?

- ko phi phi / krabi / phuket
    - danang / Vietnam coast
    - singapore
    - maybe bali
    - myranmar

We will probably run through bangkok for a couple of days visit the JJ market, and other nits and nats. A couple of days in Singapore at the beginning or end.

looking for a great quite beach & a bit of ancient culture.... plus some ICs are nice given lots of excess points and RA status...

NYCUA1K likes this.
  2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some of the things may be too redundant to do on the same trip and in just two weeks. E.g., If Bali, then strike out Phuket et al for this trip or vice versa. It is not an exclusive 'or'. It is simply doing one this time and the other the next time to maximize time at each (I am really just suggesting what I will be doing later this year - Bali is in so Phucket will have to wait until next year -- both resorts on the same trip would be too much and redundant). I would just strike one of the two out and leave the rest, which would give you more time as well:
    - ko phi phi / krabi / phuket
    - danang / Vietnam coast
    - singapore
    - maybe bali
    - myranmar

sobore likes this.
  3. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
  4. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    With only 2 weeks ... I would try to limit your destinations to 3 or 4.

SIN/BKK already will be about 6/8 nights; leaving you with 6/8. If I was you ... I'd do SIN/BKK/S. Thailand and possible Vietname/Myramar or maybe just do Chiang Mai/Chiang Rai. Less currency exchange / flight time / visa fees (Vietnam not sure about Burma)

5. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bali is great culturally, but beachwise, kinda 'eh, nice but no big deal' unless you want to surf.

6. I would plan it all in Thailand as you will find various cultural and interesting places all over the kingdom.

sobore, edekba and eponymous_coward like this.
  7. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, with flights in and out of SIN, at least some of the time is going to be in Singapore.

Malaysia is not a bad option, either.

edekba likes this.
  8. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    What I did in SE Asia: Singapore, Bali, KL.

KL Is cheap and pretty modern and is a great affordable entry. People in Malaysia are very friendly and it's very affordable, especially when compared to Singapore. Now Singapore is good, but it's insanely expensive if you do the straight tourist thing. Now I really enjoyed my time there, especially at the ArtScienceMuseum and the Magnum exhibit (check to see if it is still going on, it's an amazing photography show), and eating at Osteria and Pizzeria Mozza and checking out the great hawker stands in the more real areas like Little India.

I also really enjoyed Bali, though there is a serious traffic problem there you should be aware of if you plan to visit tourist sites. For me though the best part was the beaches and the prices. I stayed at the very affordable Bali Hyatt, which unfortunately/fortunately is going through a reservation come October.

Bangkok is also a fun place, though also has a traffic problem and I haven't really done the super tourist thing there so I'll reserve comment since my last time there was 2006/07 (Week of New Years) and this was during a time of serious political unrest and I got very sick and was staying with a friend. i

So my advice, don't skip Malaysia or Singapore, KL and Singapore both deserve at least two days, and you can take a nice bus with Transtar for cheap (sub 50 dollars if you're going from KL to Singapore) to get between them.

Also if time allows go to Bali, but if you're looking for more culture Bali may not be the best as the temples there aren't really worth it as they've become extreme tourist traps (and this coming from someone who loooooooves Bali). I've heard great things about Myanmar but I've also heard crazy things about prices skyrocketing there, and I'll be waiting to go until prices drop as more infrastructure is built.

I hope this helps you in the planning of your trip and hope you have the experience of a lifetime down in Southeast Asia.

sobore likes this.
  9. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
  10. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bali of course nails the quiet beach & culture goals, and with an IC to boot.

Personally I'd be very interested in Myanmar as tourism seems to be taking root as well as democracy. If the generals of Myanmar decide that this liberating nonsense is too much, Myanmar could again be closed.

skyvan and edekba like this.
  11. man on the move.

man on the move. Silver Member

Status Points:
    i was not planning to do them all, we plan on some days on the beach and some days looking around...

looking for something a little new or different, bali has been fun for us, but the beach and malaysian beaches have never been that great in comparison to thailand for us... we were thinking that vietnam might make the grade or burma...

no personal experience in vietnam
    2 yrs in malaysia
    2 yrs in hong kong
    lots of trips to bkk and around thailand
    lots of trips in singapore
    a little loas
    a little burma (2 x day entry at the thai border to renew a visa)

matt

eponymous_coward likes this.
  12. iterfacio12

iterfacio12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've actually been based out of South Korea the last three years or so, and I've traveled incessantly throughout SE Asia the entire time, both for business and pleasure. I would recommend the following;

I'm also RA, so I can certainly advise on what IC's give the best treatment. IC Bali Resort is nothing short of the best I've seen, period. The property is stunningly beautiful, with numerous activities available that while a tad pricey (it is from the hotel after all) are still quite fun. Bali itself is a great time, and you can travel around the island for some brilliant times too. I'm actually going back in a month, and while I'm basing out of Jimbaran Bay, I'm still going to spend a couple days doing others things, like heading over to Ubud to climb the active volcano.

Singapore is more expensive than most SE Asia, but definitely worth the time and effort. Give at least 2-3 days for there. The botanical gardens are absolutely brilliant, the food is varied and delicious, and the water light show is incredible. I've truly never seen anything like it.

I'm afraid I haven't done Myanmar yet, so give us a heads up on it if you wind up going.

Kuala Lumpur I also haven't gone to yet, though I'll be heading that way in June, so I'll report back then.

I've been to Hanoi, Vietnam and truly enjoyed it. Their IC is quite beautiful and treats RA's well. I actually really found the food to be above par, and their is a ton of things to see, culturally and historically speaking. I'm also heading to Ho Chi Minh City in June too, so I'll report back regarding that.

I've done numerous other locales, so if you want some info on those just ask (Hong Kong, South Korea, Bejing, etc.). I'll also be in Cambodia for a week or so in late June (lot of travel in June :)).

guinnessxyz likes this.