Two weeks in Ecuador

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by marcwint55, Jul 25, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    We just returned from two weeks in Ecuador which included five nights cruising in the galapagos aboard a small ship called the Millenium, three nights at the Napo Lodge in the Amazon, two nights at Mashpi Lodge in the cloud forest of Mindo and four nights in Quito at the Radisson.

The galapagos was great, especially playing with friendly sea lions in the water. The wildlife was fantastic and the islands were fascinating. The ship we were on was okay except for a lack of anything to do in the evening after dinner. If you get sea-sicl very easily I would recommend a larger ship. The millenium only holds 16 passengers which I loved, but my wife was not pleased with the rocking at nights.

Getting to the Napo Lodge is not for the impatient. It takes a forty five minute flight from Quito to Coca and then a two hour motorized canoe ride to a center where you then change to a two hour paddle canoe to get to the lodge. The paddle canoe is certainly not the most comfortable, but the viewing is spectacular. While we were there we saw four kinds of monkeys, sea otters, several varietes of birds, snakes, caymen, tarantulas etc. There is also an information center where we learned about the indigenous people of the area. Napo is the only lodge owned and run by indigenous people and they are as accomodating as anyone can be. If you have a bug phobia you may want to avoid the region, as there are lots of bugs and you will have to sleep with a mosquito net.

Mashpi Lodge in Mindo was a huge disappointment. The gondola ride is not yet completed and the spa is in reality one room with a masseuse and one indoor jacuzzi. There are no other treatments available at the "spa". We had three rooms for five people including food, a few drinks and four one hour massages, and the total for two nights came to approximately $7,600.00. I don't think it was worth half that price. The hotel was almost empty while we were there and after the three hour miserable ride it takes to get there, I certainly understand why. The service was excellent, but that is not enough reason to stay there. If anyone is considering this hotel, avoid it like the plague.

Quito was an enjoyable city with several things to see such as the center of the world, the teleferico which has a fantastic view at approximately 12,000 feet altitude, and the beautiful old town. The people were very nice at the Radisson Hotel and the suites were acceptable. Room 1601 is the best suite if anyone is going there. It generally takes a day to get used to the high altitude and drinking lots of water is advisable.

We generally don't do adventure trips, but this one was a lot of fun and I would recommend Ecuador to anyone who is interested in wildlife and beauty.

2. LXJenkins
    Original Member

LXJenkins Silver Member

Status Points:
    Did you pick up the Millennium on the mainland or did you first fly out to the Galapagos?

marcwint55 likes this.
  3. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    sorry for the delay in answering. we flew out to Galapagos for the ship.