Two weeks in Beijing... One at the Westin Chaoyang... one at???

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by hungarianhc, Apr 2, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. hungarianhc
    Original Member

hungarianhc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi All,
    I'm doing a trip to China next week. I'll be in Beijing for two full weeks, separated by a weekend in Shanghai. I had originally planned on staying at the Westin Chaoyang twice, and I'm still thinking I might do that for convenience (I can leave one of my two bags there over the weekend when I go to Shanghai) and familiarity. That's where I"m currently booked. But as the trip gets closer, I'm thinking it might be fun to try a second property out the following week. I have to be somewhat mindful of costs, but my company does have a rate code that discounts the properties every now and then. Oh I'm only SPG gold btw... so if you're going to telling me about the suites that will be showered on me as plat, that's not relevant... yet... :). I should be Platinum within a couple months. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Update: For anyone interested, I wrote up a review of the property here!

savydog and SC Flier like this.
  2. mg79

mg79 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've stayed at both Westin Chaoyang and Financial St, I find Chaoyang to be far better, in fact I think its one of the best Westin I've stayed in. Unless someone strongly recommends the St Regis, I'd say stick to Chaoyang.

SC Flier likes this.
  3. abk
    Original Member

abk Silver Member

Status Points:
    In my one trip to Beijing I stayed at the St Regis and liked it OK. The hotel is very formal and as a platinum I was upgraded to a beautiful suite but the place is a little stiff and there is nothing really in walking distance. The Chaoyang seems to be the place to stay.

4. hungarianhc
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the feedback, guys. This seems to be a pretty consistent recommendation... I should just stay at the Chaoyang. So i will! Only thing I changed is that my very last night I'll walk over to the Marriott, which was pretty close, as I need one more night for the megabonus!

5. onebagtraveller
    Original Member

onebagtraveller Silver Member

Status Points:
    What you might try to do as well is a mattress run over to the Sheraton Great Wall which isn't that far away from the Westin. It seems you will be a plat soon anyways but if you want to get there faster...

I think the St. Regis is worth a try at least - great service, nice upgrades, and very nice breakfast.

There's a new report on it here

oops - just noticed that I might be a little late to the party on this one!

6. hungarianhc
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Mattress run would be inconvenient because I'll be working fairly long hours, but thanks for the idea! But yeah as you mention, I'll be platinum soon anyways. No need to rush it. Anyhow, the feedback has bee pretty positive about the Westin Chaoyang so I'll just stay there twice - I'm really looking forward to it!

7. hungarianhc
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Anyhow, the Westin Chaoyang is great - just checked back in for week 2!

8. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good call. My rule in Beijing is to stay as close to the office as possible- traffic in the CBD is an absolute nightmare. Westin is a very good choice.

9. hungarianhc
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Traffic may be awful, but I've just been using the subway, and it's much nicer than most USA subways. Only 2 RMB for unlimited distance... Can get crowded though.

10. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Subway is good- however there are a lot of areas it doesn't cover very well (although getting better all the time)- and be sure to be careful of pickpockets (also getting better all the time). It really all depends where you need to go.

11. hungarianhc
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Oh and btw if this trip would have happened after May 1, I would DEFINITELY be switching between the sheraton great wall and this place every night!

12. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    St. Regis OK, but Sheraton Great Wall????

13. hungarianhc
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It's just right down the street!

14. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Two very different hotels however.

15. Jslo
    Original Member

Jslo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sheraton Great Wall is very dated...very dated IMHO. Kind of a weird setup there I thought. Would only even think about it on a ridiculous price promotion or nights/hop opportunity of some kind.

16. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Surely the St Regis if you can. There's also a Raffles, but of course no SPG points there.

savydog likes this.