Two questions about linking/merging reservations

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by OceanTrotter3, Jan 14, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. OceanTrotter3

OceanTrotter3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    My family and I are visiting Mexico City, and will head back to NYC to gather before going on our separate ways. I have a couple of questions regarding potentially linking some reservations.

I want my parents to experience CX J (F wasn't available) out of NY, so I booked an award earlier in the year. Attached to it was a segment from MIA-NYC. So to save money (avoiding the $150 changing fee on awards; I'm AA Plat), we need to route from MEX to NYC through MIA. The routing on the award ticket is MIA-EWR; JFK-HKG.

So... here are my questions:

1) If I were to book a paid MEX-MIA ticket for them, can I link it to their MIA-EWR award ticket? If so, how will the bags be handled (since J in the award ticket probably have it waived, but not the paid ticket since they don't have status)?

And since their English is not great, I want to be with them in MIA, to make sure there's no trouble for their connection flight. This meant I need to route through MIA with them as well. But the price is quite high, so I planned to break the trip down as the following:
    • MEX-MIA on AA 1498 (paid)
    • MIA-ORF on AA 4265 (paid)
    • ORF-LGA on AA 3749 (using Avios)

2) If I were to book the above itineraries, can I link them up as well?

I know this is a long question, please let me know if I need to clarify any part of it. Any response is appreciated. Thank you!

2. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    My guess is that you won't be able to link the paid flights with the award flight using Avios, but they should be able to check the bags all the way through upon request at check-in. I have done this before when I had two separate itineraries that ultimately worked as a connection.

For all those other questions, I think you're going to need to pick up the phone. The procedures for doing all that are probably too deep into the woods for anyone here to answer.

OceanTrotter3 likes this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    "Linked" doesn't really mean anything anyways.

You're not entitled to the higher baggage limits on a separate ticket connecting to a premium cabin award. Even for a "linked" itinerary (which doesn't really exist). If you can find award space on AA MEX-JFK I'd pay the fee and just switch to that; it would make everything much, much simpler.

If you book the MEX/MIA/ORF/LGA thing they'll probably check the bags through but you still have to claim them at MIA and deal with that. So there's really nothing to "link" and no benefit of calling to push that.

4. OceanTrotter3

Status Points:
    Since it was originally North America - Asia 2 award, won't modifying/adding the MEX-JFK segment increase the amount of miles required (suppose that there are saver awards available)? Or will it just be treated as a separate award?

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Should be the same number of points from what I see on the partner chart.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/redeemMiles/all-partner-chart.jsp

6. OceanTrotter3

Status Points:
    Thanks! Yea, it looks like Mexico is part of 'North America'. No availability atm, so... gonna use your travel tools to setup alerts for them. :)

7. DCA1K

DCA1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    Question about checking bags into a separate PNR: I just checked in at BOS for flights BOS - PHL and PHL - DOH. I'm connecting on to another QR flight DOH - HKG on a different PNR. The l-US ticket counter refused to check the bag on, saying it has never been possible. AAdvantage says it's a security issue. I used to do this on UA all the time. What's the point of flying OW if the bags won't be transferred?

flyforawg likes this.
  8. DCA1K

DCA1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    QR grabbed the bags and retagged them. They could not have been nicer. Meanwhile AA's customer service team responded to my fb post as follows: "As long as the layover times are within limits, and you're staying on oneworld carriers, the team should have checked your bags through. Our apology for the error in BOS."

OceanTrotter3 and flyforawg like this.