Two nights in Barcelona and Vienna

Discussion in 'Europe' started by asanders0001, Jan 21, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. asanders0001

asanders0001 Silver Member

Status Points:
    My wife and I are planning our first trip to Europe this summer (LHR-CDG-FCO-BCN-VIE). I am looking for any recomendations for things to do, as well as restaurant suggestions for Barcelona and Vienna. We will be in each city for 2 nights. Thanks in advance! All suggestions and advice are appreciated.

KathInJax likes this.
  2. stan
    Original Member

stan Silver Member

Status Points:
    try ny times --36 hours may get u started ---http://travel.nytimes.com/2008/06/15/travel/15hours.html?ref=36hours

KathInJax and asanders0001 like this.
  3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    In Barcelona, be sure to see some of the Gaudi architecture, although you might decide to not spend the time going to the unfinished Gaudi cathedral. You can do a gentle walk through the Gothic quarter or focus on art museums.

In Vienna, walk through the central historic area and see a few churches, palaces, parks and gardens etc. A visit to the Prater gives you more of a feel for working class families as opposed to the seemingly affluent who seem to populate the downtown areas. Be sure to take afternoon coffee and cake, possible Sacher Torte, in a fancy downtown cafe.

4. TheTravelAbstract

TheTravelAbstract Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Beaches in Barcelona are amazing. Many people talk down about them but I found they are amazing fun, I was there for the World Cup, and clean for such a busy city. The water can be cold though.

If you like soccer, futbol, take a tour of Barcelona FC's Camp Nou football field. It is more than seeing a stadium. There is a museum, trophy room, tour of the visitor locker room, press room and you can sit on the players bench. It is a cool experience.

At least go to Gaudi buildings. You don't have to tour them but at least see them from the outside.

Take the gondola up Montjuic for a great view of the city.

That's all I can remember right now. I have nothing on Vienna, sorry.

Enjoy your trip.

5. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Really enjoyed the underground excavations of Roman Barcelona (right downtown).

Also, great markets especially La Boqueria.

6. asanders0001

Status Points:
    Thanks for the suggestions, how about some recomendations for transportation to and from the airport? We will be staying at the Le Meridian in Barcelona (possibly switching to the W), and the Le Meridian in Vienna as well.

KathInJax likes this.
  7. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    www.toandfromtheairport.com :D

We stayed at Le M in BCN last March. Great property. Wonderful staff. There's a bus that heads to Las Ramblas from the airport. I don't remember the cost, but it was very affordable. When you get off the bus, walk backwards toward the corner. Then, make a right and walk 2 -3 blocks to Las Ramblas. At Las Ramblas, make a left. The hotel is on a corner about 2 - 3 blocks away.

Restaurants etc in the link below.

http://milepoint.com/forums/threads...ant-in-barcelona-bcn-report.7754/#post-322961

SC Flier, KathInJax and TAHKUCT like this.
  8. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Planning to stay at Le Meridien Barcelona in a few months. How long was the bus ride from the airport? is it easy to travel on that bus with luggage?

KathInJax and asanders0001 like this.
  9. asanders0001

Status Points:
    Yikes, that website has a lot of clutter, hard to find what you should actually be looking at, a re-design could actually make it a useful site

KathInJax and TAHKUCT like this.
  10. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    My wife managed with my carryon and I did ok with her suitcase. ;) I think the ride was ~30 minutes, but don't quote me.

11. TheTravelAbstract

TheTravelAbstract Silver Member

Status Points:
    Cabs in BCN aren't too bad and they are very convenient. Plus you can strike up some conversation with a local while you head to your hotel. But be careful, you can get caught in some mean traffic out there.

TAHKUCT, KathInJax and asanders0001 like this.
  12. KathInJax

KathInJax Silver Member

Status Points:
    These are the things that we enjoyed in Vienna:

• St Stephen's Cathedral - When we were there, the walkway from the elevator to the lookout deck on the roof is metal grating. It was not good for those people terrified of heights, but gave a great view of Vienna.
    • Schönbrunn Palace - We really enjoyed the palace and gardens.
    • Hofburg Palace - This is not too far from where you are staying.
    • Spanish Riding School - They did not have any performances while we were there, but the morning exercise was still interesting for us to see.
    • Giant Ferris Wheel - Ok, it is not the London Eye, but it was fun to visit. It did require travel and when we were there, we felt that the area was a little dodgy, but it was 8-9 years ago, so someone else might be able to tell you more about the area.
    • Anker Clock - Interesting if you are there when the figures parade around, but if you have seen several of these clocks, I would not go out of your way to see it.
    It does look like Vienna will be celebrating Klimt's 150th birthday this year. It might be interesting to see some of those paintings.

We did go to the Cafe Sacher for a Sacher Torte. It was ok, I preferred the other pastries. There are a ton of coffeehouses and ice cream parlors. For lunch, we found a hot dog stand. For dinner, we just wandered around the old town and picked a restaurant.

13. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't mean to hijack the OP's thread, but along the same lines...

We're heading to BCN for the first time doing a mileage run overnighter next weekend. Arrive at 7AM Saturday, depart at 10AM Sunday. Will be flying business class so won't be too wrecked from the flight.

We're staying at the Renaissance near the airport.

In our 24 hours, what should we absolutely, positively see/do?

14. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Take the bus downtown and walk Las Ramblas (towards the water). You can also head to the Gaudi museum.

SC Flier and TAHKUCT like this.
  15. anng3
    Original Member

anng3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Second the walk Las Ramblas. The hop on hop off bus is also cool for 24 hours. If you go up to Montjuic which was only a 7 euro cab drive from the port go to the Miro Museum. It was designed by Miro and the art is amazing.
    It has an outdoor sculpture area with a wonderful view of Barcelona. You can also take a city bus up and down to it.
    How are you going from Barcelona to Vienna? We are headed there as well and just starting the planning.

16. asanders0001

Status Points:
    We are flying, I found a cheap flight on Niki Airlines, I don't know much about them, but the price was right.

Thanks for your reply, we will check out the hop on hop off bus.

TheTravelAbstract likes this.
  17. anng3
    Original Member

anng3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the info on Niki Airlines. I hadn't heard of them. When you are on the Ramblas the fresh market is interesting. We missed it on our first trip because it's not obvious. My recollection is you walk thru a door hallway that opens to a huge market that you can pass, if you don't have the address.

18. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    From this earlier thread re: Vienna:

...Visit the Karlskirche -- they have a renovation in progress and there's a temporary elevator up into the church's dome. For food, the famous schnitzel is to be had at Figlmueller, the ritzy Tafelspitz can be found at Plachutta, and I highly recommend both Griechenbeisl (fancier; look for a dish served with a pumpkin risotto) and Cafe Diglas (lower key). 3.60EUR train ride into town from the airport; skip the CAT express train. Consider going to the opera. Standing room tickets are 3-4EUR.

asanders0001 likes this.