Two new Houston routes: ISN & BDL

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Wandering Aramean, May 12, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    IAH-ISN (Williston, ND) will be 1330 miles on an E45, blocking in at 3:38 northbound and 3:36 southbound. That's 5 miles longer than EWR-OKC and about the same time as the westbound version of that flight. I believe it is now the longest E45 flight UA operates and possibly the longest in the world. Service starts in mid-August based on what's published in the timetables.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

IAH-BDL is served on an E75 for the 1507 mile trip. Service starts in mid-October based on timetables.

[​IMG]

h/t Otter

mht_flyer and downhillcrasher like this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    The oil workers will just love that torture flight...

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    IAH-ACY is 1345. :oops:

rggale likes this.
  4. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not a line I want on an ERJ. I'm quite content with letting MSP-IAH remain my longest ERJ route for the rest of my life. It's also my longest CRJ-200 route. No need to repeat that or do anything longer.

rggale likes this.
  5. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    Surprised to see they are using an E45 on IAH-ISN. Wouldn't that qualify for at least an E170 with first class for the oil managers/director/execs who would fly this route?

-Rob

6. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    They will probably take the corp jet. People think the traffic will mostly be fieldworkers and the like, not much high level traffic.

7. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    A few years ago, YYZ-IAH on a scheduled 3 hours and 55 minutes E145 flight for us caused my wife to vow never again to connect from here through IAH, even though we eventually made it in 3:38. I miss those old but much more comfortable B737-500's that used to fly that route.

8. Anglo Large Clawed Otter
    Original Member

Anglo Large Clawed Otter Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wuss. I've flown a 1,045 mi. segment on a Q400. It was actually a pretty pleasant flight. Then again, it was in J . . . operated by ET.

Gtitan, Flyer1976 and ssullivan like this.
  9. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did you phone home?

10. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wouldn't wish those routes on my worst enemy.

bmg42000 likes this.
  11. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    I mean I understand flexibility but a four hour UAX flight?!? Does anyone at UA actually think that is what people truly want?

12. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    United is also going to start new United Express service between Denver, Colorado and Lafayette, Lousiana [LFT]

Code:
    Eff. 8/19
    UA4860 DEN 0955 1339 LFT E145
    UA4860 LFT 1600 1750 DEN E145

13. rggale
    Original Member

rggale Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you're in Y, the experience isn't really all that much different.

"People" want air transportation between distant points A and B at a cheap price. I'll take the ACY-IAH flight (and v.v.) when it makes sense for my schedule and pricing needs. My ass be damned and chained to 18A for 4 hours. Could be worse...I could be stuck in ACY. :eek:

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  14. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    For most people that is true, for me the lack of E+ is the killer. Hence, my 2 hour rule for 50 seaters unless it is the only option and there is no other airport around that is within reasonable driving distance [i.e. PHL].

15. Anglo Large Clawed Otter
    Original Member

Anglo Large Clawed Otter Gold Member

Status Points:
    It connects America's energy headquarters to the Bakken shale play. I suspect United will enjoy very high yields on the route, as they will be the only nonstop game in town. Energy company execs fly private anyways. This flight is for roughnecks, petroleum engineers, etc.

rggale and Wandering Aramean like this.
  16. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is it really not that different? The difference in Y tends to be greater than the difference up front, domestically, at least in my experience, and the occasional flyers are always commenting on how tiny the plane is. Clearly the experience is noticably different (even if only a limited subset of people know/care enough to allow that to guide booking).

17. rggale
    Original Member

rggale Gold Member

Status Points:
    Row 18, and arguably seats 1A, and 3C/D are like E+. 6/50, or 12% of the seats on the plane have extra space or no one in front of you, and are not bad. Especially Row 18. 1 and 3 are a little tighter on the legroom but you don't have another person leaning into your space.

It really isn't that different. Sure, you have to gate check your baggage. Your headroom is a bit tighter, and the plane is physically smaller than, for example, the scheduled early morning PHL-IAH B73G (comparable time to the ACY-IAH flight). But, the seat is actually .2" wider than the Boeing. The pitch is a bit reduced (approx 2" less), which is meaningful for most including myself, but it's not really a deal breaker. Economy class sucks across the board.
    Not sure I get your comment about how the difference in Y tends to be greater than the difference up front domestically? The only variables in domestic Y are legroom, pitch, width, cushioning...whereas in domestic F you have traditional recliners, full recliners, flat beds, etc.
    The majority of people who complain that the plane is small don't really care...they're just commenting. The size of the commercial plane is pretty much irrelevant to its safety though perceived risk is higher.

Golfingboy likes this.
  18. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can't sit in 1A or row 18. Row 3C/D is not bad, but you still can't stretch your legs fully, not even more than halfway out for me. For short hops that works fine for me, but for 3-4 hours, maybe it is my head, but when I flew in F on sUA 757 from LAX-BOS in 1F [the absolute worst F seat in the UA fleet IMO] after a while of not being able to move my legs freely I started getting a little antsy.

I usually settle for 2A or 3A.

19. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just checked and verified that you should be able to sit in 1A as that is NOT considered an Emergency Exit Row on the Embraer 135/145 Aircraft.

I always choose 1A if I book an E145 in advance because that's the best seat imho and I get to chat with the FA.

I know you mentioned to me earlier offline that the United website shows seat 1A as being an Emergency Exit seat however this is inaccurate information.

Golfingboy likes this.
  20. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Except when the FA tells me otherwise (happened many times on the ERJs and the Qs) I have nothing to prove them otherwise. Learned it is best to avoid 1A (2C/D as well on the Qs) to avoid creating problems for everyone involved.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  21. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You have to comply with crew member instructions per the FARs so it is best to avoid that issue however seat 1A is not a designated emergency exit seat. So it becomes a training/policy issue for the crew member which means if it happens again on an E135/145 flight you should write it up so that the operator can retrain that FA with the correct information.

22. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually it is.
    A significant PITA...kills tight connections and leaves you stuck waiting around for bags.
    "Duck so you don't bang your head on the ceiling"
    Seat-width, as measured, is a bit meaningless (and .2 in is meaningless anyway). Small RJs often intrude at shoulder-level, making window-seats uninhabitable.
    Reduced pitch, and the inferior cushioning often found on most regional products is a significant difference.
    Domestically-configured aircraft (not international aircraft with an occasional domestic leg, or specialized transcon aircraft) Do not vary nearly that much in F. You have slightly different recliners, for the most part. In Y, on the other hand, legroom is worse, pitch is worse, width at shoulder level is worse, you hit your head if you stand up, cushioning is worse...basically all of the variables you list are worse.
    I don't think anyone else had mentioned safety, just that the experience is different in a bad way.

23. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    As much as those boys and girls are getting paid and the hours they are working up there I don't think they will really care. "Suffering " for a few hours on a plane is a whole lot better than being on a rig floor for 8-12 hrs at a wack in -20 or +98 deg temps day in and day out.

Sent using a small piece of fruit.

Hartmann likes this.
  24. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points: