Two Expiring SWUs: Do you want them?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by dotorg, Feb 12, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. dotorg
    Original Member

dotorg Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have two of the old SWUs remaining and no long-distance travel booked in the near future. I tried but couldn't use them for my MIL's flight from EWR to PEK today; it was booked as a reward ticket and the SWUs can't be applied to those. They expire 2/29 and are good on any fare class.

They can't be sold, but they can be given away. I'd prefer to find a use that gets maximum value out of them - since I couldn't use them for what I wanted, I at least want to know they are going to good use. Think your trip would be a good opportunity? Got a long-haul flight on CO coming up soon? Never been in BusinessFirst? Picking up your adopted child for the first time? Going to see the family? I'd love to hear about it. Share a bit about your planned journey here (not via PM).

I'll read the responses, decide on winners and contact them via private message to arrange the upgrade on Monday evening.

scf, infamousdx, upgrade and 13 others like this.
  2. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very generous. Are you sure they are good on any fare class? I'm assuming you have CO SWUs then. :)

3. dotorg
    Original Member

dotorg Silver Member

Status Points:
    They are CO SWUs (the old ones) good for use on any paid CO fare class.

The flight need not be this month. It must already be booked, but it can occur in the future, assuming the inventory is available now to upgrade the seat.

canucklehead likes this.
  4. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    Very generous offer. I can't take advantage of it. But I always appreciate giveaways

5. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you sure about the not having to travel before 2/29? If that's true, I have IAH-EWR-FRA on 3/7 that has R space right now and on all segments and I would love one. :)

I've not done BF on the 772 before so I'm looking forward to that. Taking my parents (who have never been outside the US) to Germany and Austria for a week, along with my wife. My wife has a reward BF seat, but it would be great to have another.

6. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very nice of you to offer this!

7. Olton Hall
    Original Member

Olton Hall Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very generous offer.
    I've only been in BF once thanks to the extreme generosity of one MP member. I must admit another very generous person here at MP has applied their expireing SWU on one leg of my upcoming first trip to Dublin in a few days but there's some doubt it will clear. If there are no other worthy takers I'd be appreciative of the SWU being applied to my return flight from DUB to EWR in a week.

8. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've got a long-haul flight coming up next weekend (first time to Spain), and haven't experienced CO BF ever (I'm primarily a PMUA flyer and have flown PMUA business).

Thanks for offering them up.

9. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't think you can use them for after 2/29 though Mackieman :(.

10. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, that's what I was figuring.

11. bucketlist
    Original Member

bucketlist Silver Member

Status Points:
    Gracious offer.

Looked hard for a MR that could use 'em in the last week of Feb, e.g., to MSY...SIN, but sadly there's never any R availability, at least not in the $1250 - $1400 range. Altho there's a good chance upgrades would clear, the thought of 21+ hrs in coach for, e.g., ewr-SIN is too painful to contemplate and if it didn't clear you likely couldn't find anyone that could use it.

As noted by other posters, they have to be used, not just booked by the end of Feb. From UA Insider's post (on another board):

"You have until the end of the following Elite year to use them. Once earned, System-wide Upgrades expire at the end of the following Elite year. For example, System-wide Upgrades earned in 2010 must be redeemed and have travel completed by the end of the 2011 Elite year (which lasts until the end of Feb. 2012)"

Would commit to book tonight a MR in the last week of Feb (can miss Mardi Gras!), if the cpeqm is in the 5 - 6 range, but w/ limited search tools available, couldn't find it. Certainly understand that you'd prefer some more worthy trip, or someone w/ a trip booked that has space available.

12. dotorg
    Original Member

dotorg Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm going to attempt to grant the upgrades to Mackieman first. If they work, then they are his. Else, I will split them, one to Rob and one to Mr. Hall.

snod08 and mtbroxs like this.
  13. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is why I love MP, and no doubt my first set of unused, expiring upgrades this year are going to the "community pot"!

So it looks like I may have been late to the party, but on 2/23 I have IAD-BRU and 2/27 BRU-EWR. There is NC space confirmable on the outbound.

I am taking the girlfriend on a surprise trip (been a rough few months for her) so if the others don't pan out, I'd sure appreciate your generosity! :)

14. Killt

Killt Active Member

Status Points:
    Nice show of community spirit, dotorg. In case you still have the SWUs available, I have an upgrade eligible flight from EWR-SIN on 15 Feb. Since I have to teach pretty much the morning I land, CO BF would be fantastically relaxing! :)

15. dotorg
    Original Member

dotorg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately, the PPlat desk wouldn't apply them to Mackieman's trip. Travel must be completed before they expire.

I am now privately messaging Rob, Mr. Hall and our two late entrants - EWR764 and Killt. I'll apply one SWU to the each of first two who respond with their confirmation number and last name.

MSPeconomist likes this.
  16. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    What do you teach in Singapore?

Killt likes this.
  17. Killt

Killt Active Member

Status Points:
    in Electrical & Computer Engineering, the Fri class is probability ..

18. dotorg
    Original Member

dotorg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Rob and Mr. Hall are now waitlisted (neither cleared immediately). Hopefully, the last of my PPlat status will help to make certain you get the seats.

Killt has a 20-something hour flight coming up tomorrow. I tried to use one of my new SWUs for his trip, but no amount of begging was enough to get the PPlat desk to break the "24 hours before departure" rule.

snod08, mtbroxs and Olton Hall like this.
  19. Killt

Killt Active Member

Status Points:
    Super Thanks to dotorg for the effort. Good luck to the Rob & Mr. Hall, hope your upgrades clear ..

snod08 likes this.
  20. Olton Hall
    Original Member

Olton Hall Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you so much for your generosity dotorg.

snod08 and LizzyDragon84 like this.
  21. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Cool. At NUS?

22. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ouch to that but thanks for your generosity here.

23. rizwank

rizwank Silver Member

Status Points:
    Still coming out for Mardis Gras? I'm living out here...

24. rizwank

rizwank Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's a shame... I've seen UA SWUs applied before their expiry date... but the trip was pretty close. I've got a trip coming up in April that I'd love to try to find some SWUs for, but it sounds like yours are expiring earlier than that.

Thanks for sharing with the community!

25. bucketlist
    Original Member

bucketlist Silver Member

Status Points:
    To respond - I live here. MR's aren't easy from here.

Still willing to book, w/in hours, a MR in Feb. after Mardi Gras if in the 5 - 6 cpeqm range and if SWU's would be available, should some kind soul(s) be inclined to help and suggest a routing and supply the SWU's - it would probably have to be CO SWU's as the UA ones don't work on cheap fares.

The op wanted to apply the SWU's to someone w/ a trip already booked AND R space available, a gracious and reasonable approach - hope it works out for the lucky travelers...