Two Citi AA cards. Close one and move credit limit to other?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by merice107, Jun 10, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have two Citi AA cards that have an annual fee coming up. One retention offer was a $95 statement credit with 5 purchases. Im keeping that card. The other card's retention offer I got was 3000 AA miles with $500 in spend. Not thrilled about it; does not make up for the fee.

Can I cancel card two and move the credit limit over to card one? That way I don't lower my available credit and mess with my credit score ( I'm refinancing on my house in a month). Or do I suck it up and keep both cards as to not mess with my credit report when I have my refinancing coming up?

Thoughts?

Kalboz likes this.
  2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    One Citi rep told me very recently that they are unable to move credit between different products, e.g. AX and Visa. Another useful bit for you: when I closed my AA account midyear, they automatically refunded me a prorated portion of the annual fee.

weevinweaver, Kalboz and merice107 like this.
  3. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Strange, Ms. Edekba closed the AMEX AA & moved over a majority of the CL to her recently opened HHonor Reserve w/o a problem.

Kalboz and merice107 like this.
  4. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or you could call back and see if they will give you a statement credit equal to the annual fee on the second card. Can't hurt to ask.

Kalboz and merice107 like this.
  5. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    It has been widely reported that Citibank does not do this CL transfer to other cards, unlike Chase & AMEX.

edekba likes this.
  6. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah that's what I thought. But maybe because she asked for the CL xfer when she activated her HH? :confused:

Kalboz likes this.
  7. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I called back today and asked for a credit limit to be transferred. She told me she could not do that but that I would be refunded the prorated portion of the annual fee. When I told her I wanted to be matched to the offer I got on my other card, she transferred me to the cancelation representative.

The cancelation representative did offer me to transfer about 75% of my credit limit over. I ended up just keeping the card, getting my 3000 bonus miles, and will cancel when I am done refinancing my house. Then I will wait my 18 months before I can get another :)

MX and Kalboz like this.