Two BIG ideas for the site to grow and gain traction:

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by THREEA4ME, Feb 28, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. THREEA4ME
    Original Member

THREEA4ME Silver Member

Status Points:
    1) Get an iPhone and Android apps. For people on the go -- us travelers -- how cool would it be to have that mobile technology at our disposal. Conversely, @Milepoint on Twitter should be a must as well.

2) Powerful Travel links on the same site: (Awardwallet, etc). I'm saying it would be great if there was some type of symmetry between different sites and Milepoint so that when you come to this site, you can literally do all searching and organizing, rather than having to open window after window. Conversely, if we could have our own Bloggers, similar to Boardinarea -- that would be another reason to loiter at Milepoint a lot longer each day.

In review, the first idea is to keep Milepoint with you as you travel and the second is to keep you at Milepoint as your all encompassing travel go-to site (a la what Facebook is doing).

2. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    All that is needed is a good mobile website that works cross platforms. That way there is a lot more flexibility when the next great platform arrives and less work to do to optimize for any new platforms.

As for the travel links, there are some that are being developed that will make for a wonderful network of sites around milepoint

FrankieC and Wandering Aramean like this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The twitter account already exists, and they have built RSS feeds into twitter lists. They're probably ahead of the game on that front. That said, I do not believe in building an "app" for something that doesn't really need one. What is the value-add in having an app that is specific to a single platform versus a decent light-weight mobile site that works on all of them. The current site is craptacular on a mobile device - slow, heavy, annoying - but that means they need a better light-weight/mobile site, not an app, IMO.

BoardingArea is run by the same people and is integrated into the Newsstand forum.

Beyond that, there are too many other versions of many of the tools to have MilePoint be choosing only one. This is a central hub for conversations and discussion, not for all the other stuff.

dwhotz likes this.
  4. Westsox
    Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like the idea of light-weight mobile site as well there are many blogs and others web sites that are great on the iPhone with out being a separate app.

Craptacular - Now there is a word I have not heard in a long time...reminds me of skanktastic.

Wandering Aramean likes this.