Twitter/Facebook style @ username parsing

Discussion in 'Beta Feedback [Archive]' started by ThatJohn, Feb 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. ThatJohn
    Original Member

ThatJohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    So I'm a major Twitter fan. It helped me find a flat and a job...not bad, eh?

I have no idea what the technical requirements of this would be, but I would absolutely love the ability to refer to other members in posts in a more intelligent way than simply emboldening their names. I would love to be able to type "@thatjohn" and have it automatically link to ThatJohn, for example.

Given that this is an actual honest-to-God website, I prefer the Facebook implementation where there's some AJAXy wonderfulness that sense-checks that I haven't typed "tahtjjon", and lets me tab off it after determining that none of my friends are named ThatJohn, but a barebones Twitter style implementation that linkifies in the backend would be acceptable if the former is unworkable.

Thoughts?

2. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    And an option to receive alerts when you are mentioned would help too :)

ThatJohn likes this.
  3. ACEDAD
    Original Member

ACEDAD Silver Member

Status Points:
    Although I don't know how to make these things happen, I know that this BB software can do this. A couple of other boards have implemented these changes.

kiwi, ThatJohn and JALPak like this.