Twenty minutes later, possibly under their own steam, the snails arrive...

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by diver90, Mar 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is a really funny article in Vanity Fair about a Parisian restaurant, L’Ami Louis. The sentence in the thread title, taken from the article, had me asking myself, "Why can't you ever come up with anything that funny?". With that said....

What are some of the most amusing, indescribable or mind-blowing acts of service you have witnessed while dining out? You pick - good, bad and anywhere in between.

PS - I never knew this about snails - The rule with snails is: Don’t eat one you couldn’t get up your nose.

Lalala and Chimpy like this.
  2. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have one - Blue Hill at Stone Barns. Dan Barber has long been a leader in the whole locavore movement and the food served there is of the highest quality. During the entire service the servers took the time to discuss all of the ingredients and the preparation. Prior to service - in advance of the presentation I often had a glimpse of the uncooked / unprepared produce (amazing mushrooms, an incredibly diverse rainbow of fresh hens eggs, etc.). At the end of service, they had noted my keen interest in all of the food and took me into the kitchen to observe and meet the chef. Big thumbs up.

b1513 likes this.
  3. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    A. A. Gill, remember that name. Guy's an idiot. The restaurant is probably
    crap, but the guy's still an idiot.

4. b1513
    Original Member

b1513 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have been wanting to go to this restaurant. Now I want to go there even more.

5. Lalala
    Original Member

Lalala Silver Member

Status Points:
    Even if you don't get a chance to eat at BH @SB, the farm and greenhouses are magnificent.

6. Freddie Listo
    Original Member

Freddie Listo Gold Member

Status Points:
    The line about the snails is, admittedly, funny, but his writing in the VF account makes him come across like a giant tool. Someone at the restaurant must have really ticked him off.

Chimpy likes this.
  7. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, this thread is not exactly going the way I was hoping.... Ahem, the intent -

What are some of the most amusing, indescribable or mind-blowing acts of service you have witnessed while dining out? You pick - good, bad and anywhere in between.

8. b1513
    Original Member

b1513 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry I derailed it by following up on one of your posts. So, in keeping with the topic at hand, I'll tell a story that happened to my husband, son and me a long time ago. It was amusing and I haven't forgotten it after 6 years. We went to a lovely restaurant on the outskirts of central Paris (Le Pre Catelan) on the recommendation of my friend. We arrived and the service was top notch. After the appetizer the manager came over and I happened to mention that my friends from Texas recommended it. His eyes lit up and he went and told everyone that we were from Texas. The service then became obsequious albeit great. Our wish was their command. I never realized Texas was such a big deal. I wonder if we would have gotten the same treatment had he known that "we" actually lived in PA?