Twelve at Shanghai (Luxury Collection) Opening Late November 2012

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by Jimgotkp, Oct 15, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chalk up yet another new hotel for China, this time in Shanghai. The former French Concession gets to cut the ribbon on Twelve at Hengshan in November. The über-swanky brand, Luxury Collection from Starwood Hotels is bringing fierce design while honoring local character to the city's most historic section.

The new building, right along tree-lined Hengshan Road, will blend in to the neighborhood with thousands of terracotta tiles adorning the outside. But it's the modern take on traditional Chinese design that provides the wow factor. Garden motifs, hand-painted Oriental screens, handmade Chinese and modern furniture will give an 'East meets West, Past meets Present' vibe.

Though there are 171 rooms, know the most luxury is oozing from the suites. All 28 of them are decked out with Bose sound systems, Hermes toiletries, and many even overlook a secret garden. Plus each will have private terraces--oh, and a butler. But, if the suites are out of your price range, the regular rooms come with deluxe bathrooms, entertainment systems, Nespresso machines and free WiFi. Not too shabby, eh?

For those interested in spa pampering, this one is pretty interesting given it's underground locations and services like mud baths, scrub tables, and ice fountains. And who could wouldn't be intrigued by a treatment called the 'Dancing Fingers' massage?.

If you do want to actually experience the region--which, you know, might be a good thing--the hotel can tee up motorbike and sidecar tours of the former French Concession to experience the area and all of its former colonial glory. The historical district is one of the city's best for cafes, boutique shopping and restaurants and it's cool to stroll down the streets trimmed with sycamores imported from France in the early 1900s.

Basic rooms start at 1,800 CNY ($287), suites at 3,100 CNY ($494).

This property is a Category 6 for those who are thinking of redeeming SPG points.

Information from: http://www.hotelchatter.com/story/2...tels/Say_Hi_to_Shanghai's_Twelve_at_Hengshan_

Kalboz and uggboy like this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Gorgeous hotel, beautiful.:)

Kalboz and Jimgotkp like this.
  3. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very nice location for tourism/leisure visits.

It will be interesting to see if they can pull off real luxury service- not easy to do in Shanghai-land.

Jimgotkp and Kalboz like this.
  4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    This isn't a bad price for rooms, compared to other top tier properties in Shanghai.

uggboy likes this.
  5. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Key words are probably "start at"- we will have to see where their pricing ends up at.

The Andaz which is somewhat nearby and in a similar leisure location is typically available for 1800 including breakfast and they also have free internet.

uggboy likes this.
  6. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Any trip reports or updates?

I have booked two upcoming trips here and am curious if this is a good decision or if I should veer back over to the Andaz?

uggboy likes this.
  7. alpen

alpen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Stayed last year just after opening and had one booked for last week but plans changed and took me to the new W in Guangzhou instead. Beautiful property, feels expensive (leather wrapped handrails for example). Was near empty when I was there but I liked the location especially being half a block from the metro station. Be sure to get a courtyard room and try to avoid the ones in the middle of the hall, due to the shape of the building | () | those rooms are a bit smaller than the ones on the end and the same category. Check the emergency placard on the back of the door when you check in for the map and you'll see what I mean. Fantastic pool, spa, workout area with steam rooms, sauna, "warm room" multi-effect shower and these interesting relaxtion chairs that vibrate and release scents with sounds and colours etc. hard to describe but thought they were pretty cool.

I think they have 3 restaurants, I only ate at the one upstairs for breakfast and was quite disappointed. Decent quality but the offering didn't come anywhere near what the Westin offers for less money.

I think the FT thread has a few more reviews, here's a link to my pics: https://picasaweb.google.com/GeoffE...authkey=Gv1sRgCIKNtKmy8IOByAE&feat=directlink

uggboy and TRAVELSIG like this.
  8. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks- I will stay at least one time in May and post a TR.

uggboy likes this.
  9. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have stayed here twice this month and have mixed opinions regarding the hotel.

As noted previously the location is very good and right in the middle of the French concession. I would say for a leisure visitor this is one of the best locations in Shanghai. The rooms are also very nice although the quality of some of the furnishings is questionable (particularly the desk and the armoire which is next to the desk) and I doubt they will hold up very well as already they are marked up.

Good Points:

1) The concierge desk is very good and a great help.
    2) All of the staff with the exception of the door staff are very friendly.
    3) The rooms are of a good size and pleasant overlooking the courtyard.
    4) The breakfast is excellent.
    5) The wifi is free (although more in the bad points later).
    6) The bed is very comfortable and a good size.

Bad Points:
    1) The door staff need a lot of work. On every occasion they have not greeted me, not helped me with a taxi, and even when I ask them to take my bag they have simply taken it to the front desk and then walked away. Really some of the worst experiences I have had with door staff in Shanghai. What is going on here?
    2) The internet speeds are highly variable- from very fast to dial up speeds. This needs to be fixed- the connection goes up and down and this inconsistency can cause problems.
    3) My first checkin I had no help with directions even though the hotel is slightly confusing in layout (for example not all elevators go to rooms). It was also a very late arrival due to weather delays at Pudong and even though I was picked up by the hotel driver when I got to the front desk (this is a very small hotel and it was 2:30 in the morning due to Air Traffic Delays) they did not even recognize me- and started by asking for my name and if I had a reservation. This is not acceptable at all.
    4) I had two pairs of shoes shined and the quality of the job was quite poor. Very unusual for Shanghai.
    5) For the price points being charged this hotel is not very competitive at all with other luxury properties in Shanghai.

Overall- I want to like this property- they have significant issues however with staff training in my opinion and also in the competitive pricing set they are in they have a lot of competition which is performing at a far higher level. This is a shame as I think some of the staff are really great, the physical hard product is overall quite good, and the location is excellent for Shanghai.

I have seen extremely little presence of management at the hotel and this concerns me- usually at a luxury property management is very active, present, and visible. I don't think this property should keep a "luxury collection" label if they are going to continue to operate as they are now- and really with a few changes this could be a wonderful hotel. The use of names by the staff to guests is also absent with the exception of the excellent concierge. The door staff are outrageously poor. With pricing over 2000 RMB there are a lot of competitors in Shanghai and this hotel can make it if it changes quickly- otherwise it will need to use discounting to keep busy which is really a shame as Shanghai needs a hotel like this.

alpen and uggboy like this.