Tweezers a "New" Threat?!

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by Concerto, Mar 30, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Concerto
    Original Member

Concerto Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, this is a new one for me. I was in the Nexus line at YEG the other day and my computer bag was torn apart by the screener because, heaven forbid, I had two pairs of tweezers in my make-up kit. Yes, even though I have been carrying them around through airports for about the last eight years and never been stopped, this is apparently a problem now (maybe they thought I was going to pluck the pilot's eyebrows?! :rolleyes:).

This whole ridiculous scenario took ten minutes to resolve and it held up the line of people behind me who, I might add, were glaring daggers at me the entire time. Everything had to go through the scanner twice just to make sure that those tweezers were what they actually were... . I simply cannot believe what a colossal waste of time this exercise turned out to be.

Anyone else ever had a problem with tweezers?!

Chimpy and AmericanGirl like this.
  2. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not tweezers, but a pair of wooden chopsticks I received as part of a gift for being a camp counselor to Korean adoptees was almost taken away from me in CLE years ago, not long after 9/11.

3. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Travel2Food Silver Member

Status Points:
    We had nail clippers confiscated at Santorini (Greece). The screener noted that "we could thank the US government for that". That happened in 2008.

4. Concerto
    Original Member

Concerto Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I remember when nail clippers were not allowed but that changed awhile ago now. Until now, though, I have never had any issues with tweezers. Sheesh! Guess I should clarify that they did not take them away from me. They just had to "find and inspect" them... :confused:

Chimpy likes this.
  5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, SIN outbound to the US on NW/DL took tweezers and manicure scissors. They do not allow any scissors of any size and description, versus the exemption that TSA makes for blades less than four (?) inches long.

6. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    My wife has lost a couple of pairs, but in her case the TSA did valuable work as she had planned to storm the cockpit and tweeze the eyebrows of the first officer.

Chimpy, N965VJ, AmericanGirl and 2 others like this.
  7. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Status Points:
    My incident at JTR happened well after the TSA allowed clippers back on flights. The problem is that the rules are whatever they deem the rules to be that day.

Concerto likes this.
  8. CdnTraveller
    Original Member

CdnTraveller Silver Member

Status Points:
    Tweezers are listed as allowed items on BOTH the TSA and CATSA's websites... I guess the screeners don't read the websites.

I once had my tote taken completely apart by a screener who was looking for something but of course would not tell me what she was looking for. In the end she finally discovered that the item that was causing her so much distress was a little metal logo tag riveted to the outside of the tote. :confused:

AmericanGirl likes this.
  9. Concerto
    Original Member

Concerto Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I know that tweezers are allowed items in both the U.S. and Canada! That is what makes this incident so darn stupid.

Same thing happened to me -- the screener started going through the whole bag beginning with the front pocket of the computer bag and working her way to the back. Of course, the tweezers were in the very last thing that she opened. Then, she had to put that one pair of tweezers in a bin and run them through the scanner again. Apparently, it would be too easy to just look at them to determine that they were not a threat. ;)

Chimpy likes this.
  10. CdnTraveller
    Original Member

CdnTraveller Silver Member

Status Points:
    OMG - she ran the tweezers through all by themselves! :confused: At that point I think I would have had difficulty not saying, "you've got to be kidding me!" and laughing hysterically. I don't suppose she would have liked that very much!

Concerto likes this.
  11. wiredboy
    Original Member

wiredboy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Exactly the same thing happened to me in 2008 at CDG.

12. Concerto
    Original Member

Concerto Gold Member

Status Points:
    When she grabbed my computer bag, the make-up kit and the tweezers to run everything through the scanner again, I didn't know that she put the tweezers in a bin by themselves until after the fact (as I was already standing on the other side waiting for this whole fiasco to end). I really wanted to laugh and/or say something but thought better of doing so. The look on my face pretty much said everything!! ;)

Chimpy likes this.
  13. planeluvr
    Original Member

planeluvr Silver Member

Status Points:
    I didn't have nail clippers confiscated but a samurai sword .... oh, never mind. :cool:

misman likes this.
  14. Concerto
    Original Member

Concerto Gold Member

Status Points:
    :D

Chimpy likes this.
  15. chollie
    Original Member

chollie Silver Member

Status Points:
    OMG! TWO pairs of tweezers! (I have an image of you with a pair in each hand, doing an 'Edward Scissorhands'-type pluck on the screener!)

Dorlee and AmericanGirl like this.
  16. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    CATSA employs private companies to execute the screenings.

I know it's a pair of tweezers that might cost about five dollars, but I would write a letter to CATSA and whoever the airport authority is in Winnipeg.

17. Concerto
    Original Member

Concerto Gold Member

Status Points:
    :D Don't think that didn't cross my mind but, actually, she was not the problem. It was the woman looking at the x-ray screen who insisted that the offending (second) pair of tweezers be found! I think the poor screener was just as ticked off as I was...

Chimpy likes this.
  18. Concerto
    Original Member

Concerto Gold Member

Status Points:
    They didn't take the tweezers away from me -- they let me go through with the two pair after they were inspected. Stupid, stupid waste of time.

Yes, I know that the screeners are employed by private companies. I have already contacted CATSA and heard back from them. I will be speaking to someone about this matter in the next couple of days. BTW, YEG is Edmonton not Winnipeg...

19. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, Never a problem with tweezers. Alternating yes and no (same airport) for knitting needles (bamboo).
    And the topper . . . wait for it. In 2009 I flew for four (4) yes four months and @ 15 round trips in and around North America with a folding combat knife in my computer bag. I thought I lost it in Costa Rica, when it was discovered in SNA it was after the bag had been through the scanner three times because I left a jewelers screwdriver in the bag!
    I really do love the T S A (not really)

Concerto likes this.
  20. Concerto
    Original Member

Concerto Gold Member

Status Points:
    Okay, got a call from a Client Satisfaction Rep in Ottawa today and, after viewing the video taken at the check point, he apologized and completely agreed with me about the tweezer fiasco. Apparently, they are going to give the screener "appropriate coaching" about permitted items in carry-on luggage! We both decided it was a head scratcher, to be sure!! :D

Chimpy and N965VJ like this.
  21. N965VJ
    Original Member

N965VJ Silver Member

Status Points:
    Now there's a job title I don't think we'll see with the TSA in it's present state. :(

Concerto likes this.
  22. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Status Points:
    OMG! I just bought nail clippers WITH a file in the sterile area at JFK!!!

23. Concerto
    Original Member

Concerto Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, nail clippers have been on the list of "allowed" items for quite some time now.

Chimpy likes this.
  24. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Status Points:
    But what about the file....

25. Concerto
    Original Member

Concerto Gold Member

Status Points:
    The clipper file is not a problem either. Just like the tweezers I had... they are all on the "allowed" list.

Chimpy likes this.